Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #376
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I just got the Wunderlich tank bag and some Kriega (the US-30 combo) tail bags. I haven't had much chance to use them yet as we just got another 20cm of snow last night. These pics are from 2 days ago. The tail bags hold quite a bit more than I thought. The Tank bag does get in the way standing but for the most part I'll stay seated. If I happen to be headed out on something more 'exciting' I'll probably only need the smaller Kriega bag anyway. The map case is nice as it fits the whole backroads mapbook with room to spare...

Having both the tank and tail bags on the bike sure makes getting on and off interesting...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #377
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631

I like my cortech micro, don't really like the bulky tank bags.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #378
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
bodhizafa - If that Micro was waterproof and the phone compartment was designed like an Otterbox, that would be perfect. As is, will it stand up to any weather?
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #379
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
bodhizafa - If that Micro was waterproof and the phone compartment was designed like an Otterbox, that would be perfect. As is, will it stand up to any weather?
Probably not very weather resistant. Didn't come with a cover either. I'll just stash a few small things in there, pressure gauge, gronola bar, sandwich I wouldn't trust the phone part, maybe in some really light rain or mist but thats it.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #380
nuland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikatoom View Post
How do route the rear strap under the seat? With a single rear strap, I don't see where there is anything to loop around under the seat.

Advice?

Thanks!
Gail
This is how I did it... Additionally, just undo the loop at the end of the strap, cut an small portion of the total length, sew some velcro stripes and off you go!

Hope this helps

nuland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #381
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikatoom View Post
How do route the rear strap under the seat? With a single rear strap, I don't see where there is anything to loop around under the seat.

Advice?

Thanks!
Gail
I found this Same Cortech bag to be the best size/fit for the 800 (at least for me). And the understrap always bugged me as it came loose. The bag was never at risk but I wanted it sitting tight.

My solution? I simply took a zip tie and cinched the strap/loop through one of the slots through which the poster above routed their straps. And, their solution is better than mine. But, I don't know how to sew. Yes, I'll need to replace it every once in a while when I need to remove the bag, but for me that is rare and zip strips only cost a few pennies each. The bag sits very tight and has no side to side movement.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #382
mlkdash
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 75
Wolfman Express

Anyone tried out this bag yet? Seems pretty small (in a good way) to me. Would love to see more pics than they have on their site or get feedback from anyone who has one.
mlkdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #383
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I used a Cortech, but a slightly different one than most others are using. This one here.

Seems to work well.

Strap modified to attach at the two points under the seat with velcro like others have done.

2Stamp screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 05:55 PM
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #384
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
So far so good with the Wunderlich tank bag. I can even fit lunch and my laptop in it unexpanded for going to work...mind you it is only an 11 inch computer but I'm sure something larger would fit if you opened up the bag.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #385
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 374
Tank bags

For those people that are looking for a small to moderate size bag with a larger map pocket, I ran across this option on the MotorcycleGear (formerly New Enough) site:

Dowco Rally Pack Deluxe

or this:

Nelson-Rigg CL-400

I don't own either one but from reading this thread, there were several people that wanted a smaller bag with a usable size map pocket. I hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #386
valMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
For those with the wunderlich bag, did you have to cut a hole for the grommet to run power to your bag. Or did it come precut?
valMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #387
DWS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by valMoto View Post
For those with the wunderlich bag, did you have to cut a hole for the grommet to run power to your bag. Or did it come precut?
Mine's not pre-cut.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #388
valMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Mine's not pre-cut.
thanks.. guess ill have to cut it myself so i can run a powerlet cable for my cellphone.

have these on order:
http://www.powerlet.com/product/sae-...ket-cables/319 and
http://www.powerlet.com/product/powe...ile-cables/318
valMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #389
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
I was using the Kriega US-10 with tank bag mount for a while but although it isn't a very expensive set-up it was just way too fiddly to use. As the bag has no stiffness of its own its tricky to get items into and out of it. Also if you don't pass the connecting straps through all the loops on the bag it sags down and slides around when holding any heavy items. This means you can't easily unclip it when you leave the bike some where.

In addition the top mesh pocket or top zip pocket are useless if you strap a map case to the top which also tends to flap around. Having said all of that though it is very waterproof, reliable and can be easily used on other areas of the bike.

So with a big trip coming up I decided to try out the Giant Loop Fandango tank bag as I needed something that would easily hold a DLSR and not cause allot of hassle when trying to take photos.

I have yet to ride with it properly but my initial impressions are:

Good:
  • Great shape. Not too big and not too small. Fits the f800gs perfectly.
  • Mounts easily with the straps fitting the bike nicely and cut out matching the key placement.
  • Sturdy and great zip attachment to the mount.
  • Looks quite cool for those who like that kind of thing.
  • Very sturdy construction

Bad:
  • Massively overpriced for the quality of finish and construction. $164 !!!
  • The website does its best to paint a picture of water tightness but it is obvious due to the huge amount of stitching that it isn't going to hold out any heavy weather. So much so that they provide a tube of sealant for all the sewn seams which they recommend you paint over all the seams. Takes a good hour of your time to do properly and the neat look of the bag evaporates when its been 'painted'.
  • The internal divider of the bag only allows for a tiny section to be divided and is rather flimsy.
  • It includes attachment points for a neck strap to carry the bag when off the bike but does not include the strap.

So I can't really claim a final opinion until I have used the bag more but at the moment if it was $80 it would have been good value. At double that I am feeling some what ripped off. Looking at the welded seams and quality of construction of my Ortlieb gear makes me wonder why other manufactures make kit in any other way.

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #390
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Had the Cortech Super Mini for quite some time. Fits well and works well for a season, but not made for long term durability apparently, as both zippers broke off and the neoprene bottom material started to break down and deteriorate.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and get the Wolfman Express tank bag. Reasons:

-Durable/long lasting
-Not ugly
-Not HUGE
-Actually sits flat on the faux tank so you can actually read the damn map!! There are lots of tank bags out there that are designed for a sloped tank. When they get mounted on the F800GS's flat faux tank, they point forward and away from the rider! Example: the Giant Loop one above.
-The map pocket will actually fit a map in it!
-Expands to twice it's height if needed
-4-point mount system mounts perfectly to the F800GS
-Doesn't interfere with the ignition
-Doesn't stick me in the nuts when riding standing up

The PERFECT tank bag for the F800GS IMO. Cheers!

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote