Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #76
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
So you've already got map tiling on the go like I was mentioning in your main DSM thread - you bastard!

Well, should be no sweat to taking that tiling and using it for printing off a set of tiles as a map book, right?

This looks pretty neat as well, I just don't have a smartphone thingy.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #77
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,260
Latest app video

We are getting very close now. Testers, selected at random, will be hearing from me next week.

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #78
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
How cool would it ne to have gas station prices on that layer as well.... just saying.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #79
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
How cool would it ne to have gas station prices on that layer as well.... just saying.
We are on motorcycles so we are immune to gas price fluctuations as our tanks are so darn small and our endurance so darn high. Right??
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #80
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 478
Very impressive work. I guess I should go look at dualsportmaps.com, but what do the different colors on the tracks indicate? Trail difficulty? I think my little Eris might have a hard time running all that, but if you need a low power tester, I'd be willing to let you know how it runs.

EDIT: I just checked the site. Nice to see a logical use of color :)

I have to admit I haven't read every single post in the thread, so this might be a repeat question. Is there a way to turn off the screen and just check on it occasionally? Eris battery life is renowned for it's mediocrity, and my understanding from running the Google Nav app in my car is that the screen seems to draw a ton of power.

Thanks, and once again, really cool looking app.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #81
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

In short, I think the phone needs to be plugged in order to work for any period of time. I can get 3 hours of battery use which is plenty for a bicycle ride, but that is not nearly enough for a dual sport ride. I'm working on a remote control that will control the software AND charge the phone. It will be mounted to the bars. This also allows you to weatherproof the phone since you no longer need to touch it.

Joystick, PCB, and buttons for the remote. I'm waiting for the USB host controller that will be the charger. It's in the mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Very impressive work. I guess I should go look at dualsportmaps.com, but what do the different colors on the tracks indicate? Trail difficulty? I think my little Eris might have a hard time running all that, but if you need a low power tester, I'd be willing to let you know how it runs.

I have to admit I haven't read every single post in the thread, so this might be a repeat question. Is there a way to turn off the screen and just check on it occasionally? Eris battery life is renowned for it's mediocrity, and my understanding from running the Google Nav app in my car is that the screen seems to draw a ton of power.

Thanks, and once again, really cool looking app.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #82
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
We are on motorcycles so we are immune to gas price fluctuations as our tanks are so darn small and our endurance so darn high. Right??
bah!
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #83
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
Very very nice!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #84
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 161
Nice work! Can't wait for this!
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #85
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Looks great so far!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #86
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
This also allows you to weatherproof the phone since you no longer need to touch it.
If the right plastic is used for the screen cover, you can weatherproof the phone without disabling the touch screen. There are plenty of shockproof/waterproof phone cases which do this, not to mention plain screen protectors.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #87
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
If the right plastic is used for the screen cover, you can weatherproof the phone without disabling the touch screen. There are plenty of shockproof/waterproof phone cases which do this, not to mention plain screen protectors.
I saw an iPhone case that claims this ability. In the Android world of non conforming hardware I think this will be more difficult to find in practice. It would be a really cool product if a somewhat universal weatherproof touchable case was invented though. I'd buy one.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #88
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
I saw an iPhone case that claims this ability. In the Android world of non conforming hardware I think this will be more difficult to find in practice. It would be a really cool product if a somewhat universal weatherproof touchable case was invented though. I'd buy one.
I bought a universal waterproof case on eBay for $20, the touchscreen worked fine with it, but I can't recommend the product as the zip snapped off in the first 20 minutes of using it, and I made many modifications to improve it (including filling up huge ventilation holes with silicone. so much for their "waterproof" claim), before it finally fell apart after 6 months or so of use.

Ram makes one, but they advertise it as disabling touch screens. I've read conflicting reports as to wether or not it really does disable them. I suspect it might just be really thick and make the touch screen difficult to use.

You can get small waterproof heavy duty bags designed to protect electronics at the beach/on boats/etc. But they don't let you run a power cable to the phone.

There are lots of iPhone cases to choose from, including a really nice looking one designed for mountain bikes that I plan to buy soon. I'm currently using a gym armband zip tied to what's left of the crap I bought on eBay. It's not waterproof, but I don't really like riding in the rain anyway.

Not sure about android phones though, probably harder to find since there's a new phone coming out every other week.

Seems like there should be something good out there.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #89
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

On My evo, when I was designing a custom waterproof case, I was going to use the standard 7 mil laminating plastic from Staples. Even with a piece of paper in it, I could still use the touch screen, and IIRC, with my leather gloves as well.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #90
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Ram makes one, but they advertise it as disabling touch screens. I've read conflicting reports as to wether or not it really does disable them. I suspect it might just be really thick and make the touch screen difficult to use.
I think that this is due more to the variances in types of touchscreen technology on the market. I am NOT even close to an expert on these things, but I think that resitive touchscreens are much more likely to be usable under more layers of protection. Capacitive touchscreens (as I understand it) rely on the electrical current in the human body to trigger the input, restive relies on the physical shorting out of layers in the screen by pressure.

I don't think (but I'm not sure) that Android devices are standardized across the board as the iPhone is.