Originally Posted by ontic View Post

Wow

That's beautiful.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #32
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Anyone know more info about that type of tank?
I'd like to start looking for one as well.

Are these the 20 year later equivalent of the uber-expensive hoske tanks from the /2 era?

Great thread. I'm enjoying it. Especially the fish cooking and camping. Nothing like homemade tools, especially when used for fishing and cooking!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #33
ontic OP

Oddometer: 1,067
Cheers datchew,
that photo was taken in a special moment in time, I am glad the digital translation has not lost too much of this extended glorious moment. Lots of cold windy riding through some great steep and twisty mini-mountains. Then after riding for a while with the thought in my mind that I would really like to stop and take a photo of this marvelous country the sun finally explodes out its cloudy confines into that golden horizontal glory...
I pull up in this spot and walk around and soak it all in for a while, then that flock of white cockatoos starts flying around making the noises that only they can do, with that deep dark grey clouds as background- a wet background that I was about to head out of this sun and into.

anyway,
the tank,
I have found it very hard to find any information on this tank that I bought.
Here is a german forum discussing the sale of a tank like mine (it looks either the same, or more likely IMO very very similar to mine- but is in much better condition than mine came to me)
http://www.gs-forum.eu/showthread.php?t=24298
here is a page on Sauer's own site
http://www.alusauer.de/deutsch/tanks-frame.htm
That tank with the paris dakar colour scheme looks more exactly like the shape of mine than the one shown on the previous forum does.

now, price? Well, datchew, because you inquired I'll send you the details of the german auction. I am not sure if these will go the path of /2 hoske tanks- all I can say is they fit very very well and are superbly made.
For others, IMO it was pretty cheap. A lot cheaper than other HPN/acerbis options I was watching. I think I got quite lucky. I don't know how rare these are, but I suspect they are rare enough not to be well known about, at least outside of a small niche German market. I certainly didn't know about them before I spotted the auction and won the bidding- for once I didn't even come close to maxing out my maximum bid! the photos made the tank look a fair bit worse than it actually was- maybe that explains it?

If one looked at it as a dollar value for liter capacity gained- well I suspect it was a steal, at least compared to anything I could have bought in my local market
I for one was very very happy with the purchase.

cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Hmmmmm.

Thanks much!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #35
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
So Ontic , what are you like at fiberglass mould making ? There is a market mate .

and mould making is dead easy ....if slow .

and thanks for the explanations regarding the forks .When I looked at my ST forks and clamps I thought them perfectly adequate and thought the g/s was the same , apparently not .My top isn't that satisfying but is a bit of 5 mm sheet metal ,the bottom is a good looking casting .
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #36
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a new desktop ! Thanks Ontic ! A good reminder of why we ride .
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #37
ontic OP

Ah Sibbo,
thanks mate, if you are going to honour the image by sticking it on your desktop I'd better email you the hi-res version. It will be on its way soon.

About the fiberglass mould making- for the tank you mean? I never thought of it, but... I am now thinking of it... easy you say? I think I have read through a thread somewhere about mould making for a tank. The person doing it had crazy skills and it seemed a bit involved if I recall correctly. I'll have to do a bit of googling and look into it. Once the mould is done how easy is it to knock out reproductions? I don't think I got that far in the thread I read
Could be an interesting project. I wonder what the copyright issues are though?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #38
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Glass moulding

Mate , this is one of my all time favourite sites , a super economical aerodynamically faired 125cc Honda ..Maybe not quite your cup of tea but my motorcycle interests are eclectic .About half way down are a series of good shots of the fiberglass moulds he made for his fairing .Enjoy !

http://www.velomobiel.nl/allert/Recu...0motorbike.htm
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #39
ontic OP

Interesting link!
After a bit of googling, and not coming up with all that much that was as helpful as the original thread I remembered, I finally found this same thread I read most of quite a while ago.
Anyway, it is a very thorough (and long) excellent write-up of making a carbon fiber tank from moulding/copying another tank.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=145975

Time to have another read through it.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #40
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Good one ...I'll read it tomorrow .
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #41
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

A bit of an expensive project isn't it !
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #42
ontic OP

front end update,

Finally, this morning, my 320mm rotor arrived from Germany so this afternoon I was able to begin figuring out an adapter bracket.
Now, I have read in quite a few places that with these forks there are problems when one attempts to fit a 320mm rotor on a 21 inch wheel.
As far as I could find out there was no stock part (ie caliper bracket) to do this, and I had also read of interference between the rotor and the wheel, with fabbing required and even grinding the back of the caliper?
anyway, what the hell, I wanted a big rotor so I thought I would give it a go.

What I ended up scoring on ebay (for very little) was a caliper bracket for a 21 inch rotor from a slightly later KTM that had USD forks yet still took the same brembo two pot caliper.
So, it would fit my caliper, but of course having a different bolt spacing it would not fit my fork lower properly. I had no idea what would be required to make it work, or if it would work, but it seemed worth a try.

Here is this later 320mm caliper bracket bolted up with the new rotor in place positioning the caliper in the best possible position... head scratching time.

Originally I was planning on measuring up and making from scratch some kind of relocator bracket to reposition the caliper and its bracket into a good position for the rotor. Then, considering how close to ideal position the caliper sat by using the lower hole in this bracket, and looking at my materials at hand, I thought of something else.

I happened to have also bought off ebay another of these same calipers but this time with a bracket for a much smaller rotor, suited again to a later KTM with USD forks- it had the same spacing for the mount to the forks.
I got the idea to use this second caliper bracket on top in what might be described as a rather inelegant solution...
something like this but with the end cut off and a new bolt hole for my upper fork mount

so, with the need for little more than a hacksaw, a grinder and some files and sand paper and drills I set to work.

Off with the end and then I had to do a fare bit of grinding and filing the underside to get it to fit snugly into the shape of the WP extreme fork lower (I did not want to muck around with the fork lower itself at all)

anyway,
after a few hours of fiddling and fettling I got it together in a solution that may not look all that great but is very solid (possibly stronger than stock) and really quite simple.
That top bolt is spaced/shimmed between the brackets with an odd collection of bits that I will probably be replaced with a one peice sleeve.

here you can sort of see the position of the pads on the rotor.
this is the lower end of the pads- as can be seen the pads go right to the edge of the rotor

the top edge of the pads I have swung in a bit further to spread the load a bit wider over the rotor. It does not seem posible to get this caliper (with or without the bracket) deep enough onto the rotor to use all of the intended braking surface. I doubt this will be a problem but welcome any comments about this.

This is really as deep as I could get them onto the rotor without modifying the caliper- and even this took a little bit of filing on the caliper bracket in the rotor slot to get the most out of it,
all hard to explain and I don't have good pictures to do it for me.
If anyone is interested in the specifics just ask,

finally the comparison
old verses newer

All up I am not sure if it is 'interesting' or just plain fugly!

Whatever the case it feels like I could belt it with a BFH and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Next is just waiting for the new triples... unless I get impatient and decide to try this out by modifying the current KTM triples to fit.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #43
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Nice work!

I need to get to work myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #44
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Mate , that looks great , an impressive rotor !!!
and I reckon you were very lucky with that bracket ... go buy a Lotto ticket !
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #45
ontic OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
I need to get to work myself....
Indeed! I wanna see some more unholy progress While we are waiting for the new Rdubb triples are you tempted to try to get the front end working with the KTM triples? I am.
Despite my impatience, it would be great to be able to compare the two different offsets.

In the meantime I suppose I should follow your lead and pull these forks apart. I want to shorten them to stock beemer length like you have done and just get to know their innards.

What I am really curious about is re-springing and re-valving these things- how to figure out what to do. I've been given a contact to do this work, but I would love to be able to figure it out so I can do it myself- no, not for the personal satisfaction, but for the money!

I look forward to some very detailed discussions and experiments with this (when the time comes) on your Unholly thread as we each start to work with these forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
and I reckon you were very lucky with that bracket ... go buy a Lotto ticket !
Thanks mate,
the ebay description said the 320mm caliper bracket cost the seller $350 from 'the powerparts catologue' Given the stupid prices of these things new, let alone what we pay for them if we buy them through the 'proper places' in Australia that wouldn't have surprised me. Googling the part number (58413014000) however, shows it can now be bought here online for $150, so the description was BS.
It came to me in it's original brembo box with the original literature- and only cost me $10.50, so I reckon it was still a good buy

Just for interest (if anyone interested in this sort of thing actually reads this)
Having googled this part number I have, I followed a few discussions and I think I may have found what might be the actual stock part that might have done the job (ie fitting a 320mm rotor and two pot brembo caliper to a set of WP extreme forks)
Part number 58313049000
As visable in this parts fiche
http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_oem_part...er=58313049000
The main reason it might not work is (I believe) if the fork lower mount for the caliper bracket is different to the one I have (some of my reading indicated this might be the case?).

I'll keep an eye out for the 'real' part, if I can get one cheap, just to neaten things up a bit, but in the mean time my double bracket doodad will have to do. Maybe it will warm on me in the mean time