User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #346
DaBen
On the road til furt

Oddometer: 135
This may have covered.

I am heading out on a Long trip for the next 6-10weeks and I am hoping to get off the beaten path as much as possible. Here's the question. When you get to a back woods gas station and they don't have "super/premium" what do you do? Just throw some Octane boost and call it good? Or is there something more to it?
DaBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #347
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBen View Post
I am heading out on a Long trip for the next 6-10weeks and I am hoping to get off the beaten path as much as possible. Here's the question. When you get to a back woods gas station and they don't have "super/premium" what do you do? Just throw some Octane boost and call it good? Or is there something more to it?
The F800GS does not require super, it requires 89 AKI. The word super or mid grade don't actually have any meaning as what number you get varies from state to state and brand to brand, but in most places, 89 AKI is labeled midgrade.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #348
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
after 10 years on an 1100gs i don't think you would regret much except that the 11 is a little more comfy on long pavement rides, but then i don't think you would like long pavementon the tenere at all. I have the 650 twin and as far as i'm concerned it and the 8 are pretty much the same bike and probably the best allround go anywhere anytime bike out there at the moment. Their fairly comfy on the long haul and pretty easy to get way out in the boonies on!
Thanks Hucklberry. Just another quick question. Somebody said to try to get an 09 one as the earlier ones had problems with piston slap and a few other odds and ends going belly up? What do you reckon?
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #349
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Ooo, instrument needles fluttering. I'll bet u a buck off an oil filter it's the battery or connections. That's exactly what happens when system voltage is too low.

I'll bet u a crush washer your battery has smooth sides and is branded exide. Those batteries had a high failure rate.
Yep; low battery! Bought a charger and it fired up perfectly. Thanks Joel!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #350
DaBen
On the road til furt

I've been to a few stations in Wyoming and Nebraska that only had 86 octane. What to do in that case. This was a few years ago(11yrs) but I remember it doing not so good things to the truck at the time.

I am thinking a little Octane boost and a bit of injector cleaner will be in the Boxes just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
The F800GS does not require super, it requires 89 AKI. The word super or mid grade don't actually have any meaning as what number you get varies from state to state and brand to brand, but in most places, 89 AKI is labeled midgrade.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #351
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,622
Regarding Octane requirement, be aware of your altitude. Higher elevations require lower octane numbers to achieve same affect. That's why you always see lower octane numbers at the pump in the Rocky Mountains, for example. The mid-grade offering "at altitude" should yield comparable performance as mid-grade rating at lower elevations.

Keep in mind Octane Rating is primarily an indicator of "anti-knocking" characteristics......or anti-detonation factor. If your motor is not detonating (gurgling sound upon acceleration) then you're probably fine. No need to run higher octane than required for smooth engine. Premium won't make your engine run faster than regular, per se'.

So, don't get all nervous when you see lower octane numbers at the pump in higher elevations (above 3,500 ft or so). It doesn't necessarily mean you'll have any problems. If she does begin to detonate, choose a higher Octane at next opportunity.

HF
HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #352
DaBen
On the road til furt

Cool thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #353
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
Thanks Hucklberry. Just another quick question. Somebody said to try to get an 09 one as the earlier ones had problems with piston slap and a few other odds and ends going belly up? What do you reckon?
really wouldn't know as we didn't get them here till 09 in the states. the early ones here did have some problems but all or at least most were fixed under warrenty
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #354
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 640
Cheers. Have been talking to a couple of Ten owners and they hint to go for the 800. So I think i'll keep me eyes open for as nice as one as i can get.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #355
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
I thought I had a question too stupid to ask here so I wrote to BMW with my dilemma... love the F800GS except I can't go back to a bike with chain drive - please advise.

The reply:
Not a problem sir... we are halting production on the relevent assembly lines to retool accordingly and should have your F800GS with shaft drive ready for delivery by the end of this week - no extra charge.

Thanks for this motivational thread.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #356
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
spark retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
If she does begin to detonate, choose a higher Octane at next opportunity.

HF
HF
Question, does the f800gs have a knock sensor and spark retard? Cause if it does'nt, piston will die in seconds if knock occurs. At least that what would happen in a normal car with a bad knock sensor.
Umarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #357
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
Question, does the f800gs have a knock sensor and spark retard? Cause if it does'nt, piston will die in seconds if knock occurs. At least that what would happen in a normal car with a bad knock sensor.

There's an internet rumor that the f800gs doesn't have a knock sensor.
I mean, c'mon, they got to have something.....
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #358
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
It does indeed not have a knock sensor. There was a couple on here recently that took two 800s down to South America and both engines blew up.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #359
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It does indeed not have a knock sensor. There was a couple on here recently that took two 800s down to South America and both engines blew up.
True ... but it was never established what was in that fuel ... could have been anything.

Its also worth remembering that you can get a remap to run on lower octane fuel if you think you need it.

I have found in Australia if you have a full tank of our regular unleaded which is 91 octane (not the same as the US) instead of 95 or better it will ping under some conditions. I have tried octane booster as an experiment and it seemed to work fine.

Still slack of BMW ... my XChallenge apparently has a sensor and will reportedly run on almost anything.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #360
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
12 Volt Power Outlet

I just discovered that my standard 12v/car cell phone and apple chargers won't fit in the GS's power outlet. WTF?

Yes, you can say it, "you just noticed that now?" I should have I guess, but I haven't needed it before now. I did a google search on adapters/BMW outlet etc. and it doesn't look like there is an adapter in my neighborhood? I leave Tuesday. I had no idea there were different sizes. WHY BMW, WHY!!

There is no way I am going to get anything from BMW in time. Are there aftermarket adapters, would Future Shop have something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fronz

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote