User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Bluhduh Box Canyon Shut-out & Covered Bridge Consolation Ride

The Plan: Use a four-day furlough weekend to have adventure and still get shit done at home. Get the new girl out for a bit of adventure challenge, camp, soak, and make use of a two day not so lousy weather window in a spring of Central-Oregon-below-average-temps-and-above-average-precipitation.

The route: Bend to Cougar Hot Springs to Bend. Two days. South on 97 to Sun River and 42 to Cascade Lakes Highway (the open part), to the Crescent Cutoff, to 58, to Oakridge for gas, to 19 (The Aufterheid Highway) to Cougar. Next day, 19 to 126 to 26 to Home. Easy. About 250 miles. Easy peasy.

The riders: JayhooRay, a hardcore noob working on another 10k or better year.

WCAngel, another noob looking to double her total mileage to date with another poorly conceived and way-too cold hot springs bated festival of tears. Both riders now somewhat linked with cheap-ass intercoms powered by Midland radios.

The machines: ’08 KLR 650, “The Mountain Crosser,” bought real cheap last year off of a guy in PDX who super farkled it out, put 3500 miles on it and sold it at a big loss, now scratched and well loved at 15,500 having seen four new states. 1986 XT350, “The XT Thrifty” aka “The Little General” aka “The Desert Fox,” bought real cheap last year as my first bike, turned into Angel Wolf’s first bike with a ghetto rattle can paint job, a shaved seat that is still too tall, a pilot screw held into the carb with silicone, and a GPS for a speedometer. Runs like a champ if you can get it started cold.

Yep that's a GiantLoop bag on a Bend rider's ride http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

The complications: a seriously above average snowpack and trying to meet up with Donna for camping.

The results: Not quite as planned.

And since this is my first ride report...and WCAngel is anxiously awaiting the email that makes her a real adventure rider...I think I post now before I screw anything up too bad.

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know. It's my own damn fault.

'06 Dakar

JayhooRay screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 03:54 PM Reason: I wanted to add some cheezy smile guys.
JayhooRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Episode 2

The day started off out of whack. Basically, Angel might have used the time to go back to visit family in Wolf Creek, a good six hour ride south from Bend on a little too much busy rural highway for a girl who just got her learner’s permit. She didn’t really want to go anyway, but that of course resulted in guilt and grouchiness. Then there was the weather. Spring in Oregon this year sucks almost as bad as our education funding, meaning it has been way below average. It has been plenty wet though. If you wanted eight months of powder skiing, this was your year.

Two weeks earlier we rode slab out to the Bend Dualsport Summer Lake Hotsprings Gathering and got snowed on and damn near blown off the road.

It was Angel’s first real riding.

After sitting under a juniper in the dirt, getting snowed on, and crying in her helmet because it was too cold to take it off, she got up and finished it out with just one hot toddy break. Later, she complained because I didn’t get a photo of her crying. “Next time you have to take a picture!” Well, I forgot the next time too. That was on this trip. oh wait...maybe this is it.

So just in case at this point you think it is my fault, this girl looks to be pretty much born for this kind of suffering. After the first trip, if she doesn’t know better, there’s nothing I can do about it if she wants to ride with me on her own machine.

Well, with all the hemming and hawing and grouchiness and packing it turned into a late start.

Plus, there was the stop at REI to get a new Jet Boil with my dividend. Woo HOO! So it was late afternoon by the time we actually started making any mileage with Angel’s new highway speed skills. She barely even slowed down for the grooved pavement in the construction zone. But pretty soon we were winding our way through the scenic roads of our back yard that we take for granted up to the Cascade Lakes Highway.

It wasn’t even that cold really until we got to Willamette Pass where there was still a good five feet of snow. Angel thought the tunnel east of Oakridge was the best part. Somewhere around here, according the GPS, Angel achieved her personal speed record of 68.3mph. That’s pretty fast on the XT Thrifty. She also thought she saw a moose on the side of the road but it was a homeless guy on a bike. Too much time in Alaska will do that to a girl but we definitely have more homeless guys on bikes here than moose.
We stop in Oakridge, get beer, tampons, toilet paper, chocolate milk, a Hawaiian shirt, and batteries for the GPS. We used the spot of cell coverage to let Donna know we were a little behind schedule.

We got some "local knowledge" about 19, our road of adventure to the hot springs. Apparently we were going to die from crashing on moss and or travel at 20mph. Angela liked the last part ok.

Stay tuned for Episode 3: The First Covered Bridge and The End of the Road!

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know. It's my own damn fault.

'06 Dakar
Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
TroySmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
That very first shot is a great one, both riders in motion, nice work!
TroySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
W.C.Angel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
ow ow ow!

Best use of an orange, borrowed Coyote Giant Loop Bag... a detour to the Blue Wolf Motel.
W.C.Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
ks02
Always smooth

Oddometer: 241
box canyon

Probabley should have posted this but me and the wife tried road 19 in the jeep about 3 weeks ago and got turned back at the top. At the time our trackes were the furthest ones. Chickened out and turned back. It was our anniversary and I didn't want to spend it digging the jeep out, had other things on our mind
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Talking Episode 3

I'm sure you've all moved on to more recent things... But I'm gonna try and finish this thing out!

I thought I would get a little writing done while I was in Florida on vacation...but no.

So right about here was when things started to get really lovely and go wrong.

This was the start of 19 and the Office Covered Bridge.

Artsy!

We were WAAAAAAY behind schedule but the riding was really lovely and it was reassuring to see that someplace in the world spring had arrived.

19 was twisty, mountainous, and deserted.

And then I made Angel stop so I could take a picture or the snow before we went through Box Canyon Pass.

About 1/10th of a mile later we were done.

I walked up the snow field about 200 yards to see if maybe we could try some epic over-the-snow-field-motorcycle-portage. No. It was snow for a long way. Ironically, we were closer to our destination and Donna then we would be for quite some time...

Angel cried. It was an appropriate response...mostly she was concerned about Donna winding up on the other side of the snow, in the dark, not knowing where we were (no cell service), and having to camp alone in unfamiliar territory.

Now I'll be honest. I take things a little too seriously some times. And I've read ride reports where people spend a lot of time in motels. And I've felt two ways about this depending on how my day has been when I read them. I either felt like staying in a motel is for gutless wankers...or I've been envious.

Well, as we rode the hour + back to Oakridge, which is far from everywhere we wanted to be, and Ange was in for another "adventure" which was mostly about being cold and wet...well...a motel sounded really good. We rolled into the Best Western thinking that maybe it wouldn't be too spendy. Wow. The bargaining started at $100. Uh...no thanks...that's a lot of gas. So we moved on down the road.

$50 seemed real reasonable for a warm night in bed. And the lady gave us a room that let us put the motorcycles under a roof right outside the door. Oakridge class!

Camp Blue Wolf in Effect!

Now we just had to figure out how we were going to get to Cougar Hot Springs or how we were going to bail.

The next day we decide we MUST finish. And we will ride to the very edge of Springfield OR to do so...the very gates of hell!

The bonus was that this became a covered bridge ride and it mostly stopped raining.

A few hours of pretty solid riding later we actually arrive at our destination only 18 hours late!

And Donna is waiting for us in the parking lot!!!

A short hike through fairy land and we soak in hot hot water with naked hippies...no pics...sorry.

Baldy says no tits.

So we have a little lunch a decide we can still go morel hunting and make it to a party in Redmond. Saddle up!

Angel finds a mushroom.

I find a place to lay down.

At the party we find a place to camp.

So what if it is in the back yard next to the garden!

There's a view!

We're still in the mood for adventure so we head off to Smith Rock for some hiking. Remember we've got time to kill...and its sunny!

We have a great lunch. It feels sooooo good to be warm and active after all that ass freezing on the motos. A short ride home on some good local twisties and I can tell Angel's got some growing riding skills. We have to soak again after we get home though. That poor girl...all those miles with no wind protection.

Well, that's how we do it around here!

Stay safe!

'06 Dakar
Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Wicked This is why it took me so long to finish my first ride report!

Just thought you might want to know...

And this my friends is the ONLY KLR we saw in a week. Lost count of the HDs and sport bikes. The ratio went something like this: HD:rice burnersual sports = 100:10:1

He did a wheelie in the parking lot but I botched the snap shot!

that makes all this ADV appropriate right?

'06 Dakar
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
W.C.Angel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhooRay View Post

And this my friends is the ONLY KLR we saw in a week. Lost count of the HDs and sport bikes. The ratio went something like this: HD:rice burnersual sports = 100:10:1

He did a wheelie in the parking lot but I botched the snap shot!

that makes all this ADV appropriate right?
I'm so glad you posted this guy's picture! I would've been tempted to try and write a whole report just based on this photo--hahaha!
W.C.Angel is offline   Reply With Quote