User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Talking North of Auckland Adventure - NZ

Auckland isn’t that far away, and being NZ’s largest city, it has its share of ADVriders, but we’d never managed to do any riding in the Auckland area. So when Crisis Management said he was organising a North of Auckland weekend, not even rainy winter weather and the fear of navigating Auckland’s motorways could keep us away from a weekend in ‘The Winterless North’.

The weekend started inauspiciously at lunchtime on Friday, when we got away late, and rode through the rain for a couple of hours to arrive at the southern edge of Auckland just as afternoon traffic was building. We survived the traffic and the rain and emerged from Auckland to arrive at Snells Beach just after dark. We wasted no time in settling in next to the fire to spend the evening drinking beer and lamenting the long hard road to finding the perfect adventure bike

Next morning the weather was looking much better, and it wasn’t long before we were exploring the region’s gravel roads.

We wound our way through farmland to our lunch stop in Dargaville. After a coffee and a steak pie (sadly not worthy of the Best Pies in New Zealand thread) we were ready to play on the beach. From Glink’s Gully to Baylys Beach we had about 18km of near deserted beach to play on.

Near the water the sand was pretty hard packed, but became progressively softer towards the dunes. I wasn’t game to try the deep soft tracks going into the dunes, but the guys were, some with more success than others

From Baylys beach the scenic gravel began again, and we were enjoying the roads so much, that it started getting dark, and we still didn’t want to go home

We stopped off at the sawmill café to sample the fruits of their microbrewery. The beer was excellent, and many of us were disappointed that the twisty ride back to Snells Beach in the dark meant that we couldn’t have a second.

Back at Snells beach Clint and I went for an evening stroll to find some beers to enjoy with dinner. Dark beer offerings can be a bit sketchy in liquor stores, so we were pleasantly surprised to have the dilemma of choosing between three excellent dark beers. Monteiths Doppelbock Winter Ale was the eventual winner.

Back at ADV HQ, we had a delicious dinner of homemade lasagne and apple crumble, which our host had personally prepared earlier in the week.

The next morning dawned a bit grey, but we were keen to get underway and explore some more interesting roads on our way back towards Auckland.

We started with a scenic tour of Warkworth, and then started to wind our way west. Upon reaching SH16, three members of our group failed to materialise. We were running the cornerman system and the disappearance of our tail end Charlie (Nic) and our last two cornermen (Clint and MXNUT) was a bit of a puzzle. Our glorious leader set off to find them, planning to meet up with us again in Kaukapakapa. We set up camp next to the delightfully named KKK motors in Kaukapakapa, and eventually got the call that Nic had a puncture, which MXNUT had fixed, and everyone was now accounted for, and on their way.

Happy to be reunited, the adventurous eight had a date with some soft sand on Wilson’s Road. From the road end to the beach was a fairly long sandy track which tested my slightly apprehensive sand riding style. I was pleasantly surprised by my newfound sand riding skillz (having really struggled in outback Australia in 2009), and hardly had to dab a foot to get myself onto the beach. The beach itself had a hard packed surface, and the only real difficulty we had was sticking to the 60km/h limit (yes officer, it was difficult, but we did manage to do it )

Arriving at Muriwai, somewhat sandier than before we had lunch at the Sand Dunz café. Their mushroom pie is worthy of a mention in the pie thread, but it was so incredibly delicious that I was too distracted to remember to get a photo of it. After lunch .chris took us on an interesting diversion over the hills behind Muriwai, where we got a good view of the beach we had arrived on

After the final few kilometres of gravel we said our goodbyes, and Clint, Nic and I started on the long stretch of motorway and highway to get back to Rotorua, arriving home not to long after nightfall, which is always a bonus with short winter days.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,403
Well written Rosie, glad you enjoyed it, the next one will have a few expert loops thrown in as well (and possibly more time to enjoy the micro brewery)

PS. there aren't any photo's of my mutt park so it didn't happen.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
NZnic
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

great photos Rosie!

what a bloomin' brilliant weekend.

So.....when will the next one be Crisis - spring??
NZnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 233
Nice RR Rosie
Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZnic View Post
great photos Rosie!

what a bloomin' brilliant weekend.

So.....when will the next one be Crisis - spring??
Niiiiic!
Welcome to ADVrider!