Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #16
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,578
Holy fark! Aren't engineers ever required to pass an english class?!?

You shoulda' taken the North Shore...

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #17
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Holy fark! Aren't engineers ever required to pass an english class?!?

You shoulda' taken the North Shore...

Hey Lornce.......

Yeah I see a few typos now.......fix later. Other than that it's not supposed to read like a novel....just some commentary.

I had to rush back since I stayed an extra two days to do non-riding stuff.....the north shore and Labrador......maybe next year
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Ontario To Florida via Deal's Gap (TotD) - June 2009

I hope that this one passes Lornce's English test. It certainly can't compare to his photography skills however

Ontario To Florida via Deal's Gap (TotD) - June 2009

For my first long trip on the Uly, I decided to head down to Florida to see my family. I planned a long route down and up the Appalachians and arranged to meet my brother, Mark, at Deals Gap for the weekend. It's always great to ride the twistys with him as he's the fasted rider I have ever ridden with. I can always learn stuff by following him. As he would be on his ZX-14, I'd only keep up if he wanted me to .:-) As usual, here is a shot of my breadcrumb trail as captured by my Zumo 550 and displayed on Google Earth. Technically, this was a cross-country trip as I crossed from the Canadian border to the gulf coast of Florida.

On the first day I trucked trough the border and ran down NY through the finger lake region, which is quite scenic. By the time I crossed into PA, the rain had started. It was really the only rain I faced for the entire trip, but it was quite the down pour. There was one place in the Alleganys where I relied on my GPS to figure out where the road was going as it was so foggy and wet.!.! I probably should have stopped, but I'm stubborn. I had planned to make it to Gettysburg that night and I did. I found that the local Comfort Inn was located at Lee's headquarters...so of course I had to stay there. They had a nice pub on premises as well...not a bad place to stop at all....in fact....recomended!

My gear hadn't completely dried by morning, but it was warm enough so it turned out OK. I spent the morning touring the battlefield......great stuff. I also realized that I was not going make it down to Aunt Beverley's that night so I called her to let her know. I'll make another trip down there in the near future, but I feel bad since I have since found out that she thinks I toured Gettysburg instead of visiting her....not true....It's just that the roads which I planned on riding would have delivered me to her place around 2200 and I had to meet Mark the following day around noon. I really only spent a couple of hours touring the battlefield.. Sorry Aunt Bev...... I was compelled to watch the film "Gettysburg" as soon as I got home.

As I crossed into West Virginia I noticed a sign for Harpers Ferry. I had to check out the site of John Brown's raid. It's a pretty little town and I spent an hour or so there wandering around. Here's a view from the town down the Shenandoah river.

It was interesting seeing where JB had held up and such, but I forgot all about this being the point where Lewis and Clark loaded up on supplies and headed west. It really was a hub of activity in the Early days of our Republic.

I then caught the Skyline Parkway, which hooks up with the Blue Ridge Parkway to provide approximately 600 miles of absolutely gorgeous park roads through the heart of the Southern Appalachians. The speed limit is 45 mph and I've heard that it can be backed up pretty bad at times, but since I did the bulk of it on a Thursday I had no traffic problems and it was one of the most pleasant riding experiences of my life...not challenging, just nice.
I spent the night somewhere in Southern VA and woke early so that I could meet Mark at the Deals Gap Resort around noon. He had beaten me there and there was some power problem so we couldn't check in. It was VERY hot that week, and Mark really doesn't like to be out in extreme weather so we had lunch in the pub and headed out for a ride. My first blast down the Dragon turned into a parade as a group of pirates were just in front of us and they were having trouble even maintaining the speed limit. My Uly is VERY comfortable. I never ride with one hand on the bars like the sport bike riders do.....yet here I am in all my Killboy glory. That's Mark right ahead of me. We were able to pass them about half way down.

Here's a shot of me at the bottom of the 11 mile run saying hello to all my fell0w ADVriders

Here's a better shot of me without the traffic.....need to use more body lean.....

....and here is Mark attacking the same corner..he knows how to take a corner

We got up early and had a few good runs with no traffic. On the first run in the morning, I was leading and had to stop for a black bear lumbering across the road...they really do run like fullbacks. Here we are that morning at the bottom of the run

We rode all afternoon, into the evening. We found a nice place to eat some local food and headed back to the resort for a beer and some BS with other riders. Deal's Gap Resort is a pretty cool place. Not posh, but set up for riders. Everyone should do it once.

Mark actually did have an oil problem....that's his stain...but it was easily taken care of. Just a loose drain plug as I recall.

Here I am in front of the famous Tree of Shame....fortunately I made no contribution.

The next day, we rode around the area and headed south. It was around 100 deg. F and the trip included Atlanta...so all was not pleasant. We passed through Birmingham and HAD to stop at Barber. I had never been before, but Mark had when he went up there to buy my 999s for me. This place is amazing.

Buell XBRR. Mark is not really into antique bikes like am and was excited when he saw this glimmering beast from across the hall. .......but was disappointed to find it was a lowly Buell :-)

This looks like the perfect bike for Canadian winters

We took the back roads down to Pensacola and when we crossed the Florida border, I pulled up on the curb for the obligatory shot.....I'm from Florida, but coming immediately from Canada, its kind of an accomplishment. The locals always got a hoot out my Ontario plates..... "Did you ride THAT here?" :-)

I spent a few days in Pensacola and then headed across the state through horrific heat (100 deg F) to my Mom's in Jacksonville. I didn't have much time down there, but we did manage to get to one of our favorite restaurants in St. Augustine. The Columbia is in the historic section, on St. George street, but the restaurant is pretty new..maybe 25 years old. The original is in Ybor city, of course, but this one still fits in and has great food and atmosphere.

I headed North on a similar, but different, path. I passed through deals gap towards then end of my first day and had a beautiful run down tTotD with no traffic and NO Killboy photographers. I took back roads mostly and followed "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine" as much as I could....very good riding for an adventure style bike. I took a small detour in PA and found this lovely covered bridge.

I was going to stop at Ulysses, PA for "THE SHOT" but my rear tire was really getting worn out so I babied it home the last day and took the direct route. I did "THE SHOT" later the same summer when I went to Nova Scotia. I did stop by puxatawny to see Gobbler's Knob though. The entire trip was 4200 miles, and while my rear was not showing threads yet, it was close. It all worked out and I had a great time.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 362
hey scott.. thanks for the mini rr's... catch up with you soon!

g
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary
hey scott.. thanks for the mini rr's... catch up with you soon!

g
thanks...didn't think they deserved individual threads, but wanted to put them out there.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
pixellman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Scoot

keep going..keep going.
Nice report ..
See you soon
cheers
pix
pixellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,578
Yeah. Keep it coming.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #23
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Scotland - April 2009

Edit - Title should read "April 2007"

This ride report was written almost four years after the fact so hopefully things aren't too foggy. I still wanted to capture the story since it was my first European trip. So here is a VERY brief report. It was early spring and I had pretty good gear, so I loaded up the bike and headed North for a long weekend. I took the motorway most of the way to get through the bustle of England and headed for Stirling. Famous from the "Braveheart" legend, this is a nice city. It resembles a small Edinburgh. The picture below is where I parked the GS for the night as the hotel I found was right down that little pedestrian street.
I spent some time walking around the city and seeing the sights the next morning before I took off.
Stirling Castle for example....

I also rode around the area and stopped by the Wallace Monument.....FREEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...can't help it

I picked all of the back mountain roads that were absolutely designed to be ridden by a GS. They were remote and scenic. This a typical view of the Western Highlands

Of course I had to see Loch Ness and the road along the northern coast was quite the enjoyable ride

I made it as far North as Skye and passed by the castle of Eilean Donnan on the way. This is supposedly the most photographed castle in Scotland.......but it is still quite the site.

The bridge to Skye as seen from the mainland.

ScottDill screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 05:39 PM
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Scotland - April 2009

edit - title should read "June 2007"

In the spring and early summer of 2007 I had just started to meet some of the riders on UKGSER.COM so I combined a trip to the inaugural rally in Glen Cova called "Gathering of the Clans" with a trip to Ireland. I reserved my space at the Glen Cova Hotel Bunkhouse, made a couple of Ferry reservations and headed of for ten rained soaked days.......it rained EVERY DAY!!!! My bike was mildewed by the time I got back..... I skipped the Ring of Kerry and South-Western Ireland because I had done it in a car the year before Here is the almost obligatory breadcrumb trail of my trip from Richmond and back.

The Glen Cova inn was a great location and there was a good turn out...even ran into a few UKGSERs from the London area that I met at the monthly gathering at the Ace Cafe. This far north in late June it stays light light until almost 2300!

We had group ride in the rain on Saturday. Very wet and foggy in places, but we only had one crash....a R100GS whose forks merely got twisted.

Headed west along the Southern coast of Loch Ness this time. lovely scenery....Foyers Falls....

I took the ferry crossing from Troon to Larne and headed out through Northern Ireland . Here is a view from Torr Head.

Of course I had to stop at the Giants Causway.

Lovely view from Glenn Gash Pass. I really liked Donegal.

Near Dublin I had to geek out and visit the ancient burial sites of Bru Na Boinne. Below is the New Grange site which predates the Egyptian pyramids.

Here is the other major site in the area - Knowth.

I crossed over from Dublin to Holyhead on the way home and made a stop at Bryn Celli Ddu, which is also 5000 years old.

I closed out the trip by joining the UKGSER annual rally at Andover known as the "Hograost". Went out with Steptoe on Saturday to the Salisbury plains which are chalky and slippery when wet. This was my first off-roading experience on the big GS (on Tourances no less!!!!). It wet my appetite, but taught me that I had a LOT to learn. I signed up for Simon Pavey's off-road school in Wales shortly afterwards.

ScottDill screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 05:39 PM
Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
BadWHooper
Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer: 220
Hail fellow Uly rider who rented a BMW in the UK! We've traveled the same roads over there...and to think, when I went in 2005, the Uly was just about to be released.

Great photos and good memories...

Solo Around Scotland (BMW R850R); AZ and UT (H-D Road King): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744536l; Death Valley & Vegas (BMW R1200GS): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926499; NW Colorado (BMW K1200GT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955168
BadWHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Nut Up Or Shut Up

Oddometer: 18
Great ride reports Scott
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

BYOB in WV and the new "Pyg" - June 2011

Ever since last years BYOB, I had been looking forward to the reprise. Of the crew that went down last year, only Gerry and I were left. Pete is still recovering from his trip with me last month to the Dragon and Mike had to bail due to other commitments. No worries though, Gerry and I would make a good trip and meet up with some friends down there for the local rides. I then threw a monkey wrench into the works and decided to buy a 2006 BMW 1150 GS Adventure down south and ride it home, stopping at the BYOB on the way....leaving Gerry on his own...sorry bud. We still met up in WV and a couple great rides....~1000 miles!

The bike was located in the sticks of South Carolina only 3 hours from Jacksonville, my home town. So Greg - the seller - agreed to bring it down to Jax and I could just fly in there and spend a few days with my Mother before I headed north. A two birds, one stone sort of thing. Greg's a great guy, into his bikes and very energetic. After a test ride and a once-over on everything he new about it, we had spent about an hour in the 95 degree parking lot. We decided to wrap things up with a few pictures to commemorate the event. Of course....the keys were in the truck when he closed the locked doors to make a better picture. That's just the situation when it's easy to do.....but we were already baked, so not a great time. Here we are before he closed the truck doors.

With 20,083 miles on the ODO, the bike was pretty much perfect and just broken in. When I got to my Mom's, I did find two issues, however. In an effort to do me a favor, Greg changed the oil the night before he trucked it down. He hadn't ridden it much in the past year and when he drained the oil cold , a bunch of it didn't get out. It was about a quart overfilled. Then, after I changed the oil, it wouldn't start. Turns out the battery was dead, wouldn't hold a charge and this was masked by his religious use of a battery tender. I was able to get an OEM style battery at a local Battery+ store and it has been flawless since. I did a morning run down to Saint Augustine. This is one of my favorite places, were I used to hang out when growing up. Everything checked out great.

The locals up here call her a "Pyg" because she is a big girl, but as a Southerner, she kind of reminds me of Traveler, but with a gut :-) See the resemblance?????

The trip home was to be through the Appalachians, stopping at the BYOB and then on to Buffalo, where I left my truck for my flight to Jax. This allowed me to truck across the border and though Canada instead of further relying on my questionable registration and insurance. A trip of 2200 miles by bike with another 100 or so in the truck. A perfect opportunity to get to know the new beast. Below are the tracks recorded by my Zumo.

To beat the heat, I left "bright" and early on Wednesday morning from my Mom's place.

I boogied through the flatlands of North Florida and South Georgia using a little bit of Interstate and a lot of back roads. I found a wooded area in central Georgia to pull off for an early lunch of the sandwich my mother had packed....awe....

I then headed North into the roads that I know so well in North Georgia and North Carolina. I skipped 129, but took War Woman and 28 into Franklin where I was getting a bit peckish so stopped by the Motor Company Grill for a chili dog. For some reason I craved chili dogs during the whole trip. Must be a vitamin deficiency from living in Canada :-). The Motor Company is a great place to stop if your in the Franklin area. Slow service, but great food and biker friendly...even if you're not dressed like a pirate.

I then spent the next three hours backtracking through various mountain roads to get to Maggie Valley and see my Uncle Richard . Unfortunately my Aunt was out of town....but always a good place to visit in riding season. I explored some dirt roads in the area and really had a great time.

Early Thursday Morning, I headed "North" on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a VERY indirect route. It is also, a wonderful road if you catch it mid week and avoid the traffic. I have ridden the complete parkway in the past, but you really can't get tired of this. I made it into Marlinton around 1700,-shortly after Gerry arrived. Of course, he already had a beer in his hand :-). gsweave, deerlsayer and others (Oilhead riders all) pointed out that my front looked low...and they were right. Oversight on my part for some reason, but the handling sure picked up after correcting that.
On Friday morning, Gerry and I hooked up with a local on a Wee-strom - "hillbillyrider" - who showed us some great roads in the area. All well groomed gravel and twisty mountain roads off the beaten path. Before lunch we rode by the New River Gorge and took the old bridge down deep in the gorge. Gerry took this shot of our guide and me.

The new bridge, is WAY up there

By the time we got back to the motor lodge that evening, the place was full. I think Gerry counted around 85 bikes.

Dyno showed up before dark and we made some loose plans to get up early and head towards Burke's Garden, south of Tazewell, Virginia. We would take some back roads as we found them. We started on the the "backest" of back roads that ended up being a ridge road "paved" with baby heads. The rain had washed the dirt way so that the exposed rocks were quite pronounced. It was a road, nothing extreme, just rough. Gerry felt at home, but Dave and I were wishing for our DR650s. Here's Dave and Gerry coming down a gravelly section the ridge road.

We made it into Burke's around 1400 for a late lunch at the general store. The road in is a very dragonesque paved path and the road out is an incredibly steep, meaning long switchbacks, gravel path...good fun all around. At the recommendation of some Harley riders at the general store, we took HWY 16 north out of VA and were NOT disappointed. Although my unofficial name for it is "gravel at the apex road". :-( We got back to the lodge around 2000 and almost missed the dinner. We were exhausted but had a good time with the rest of the ADV crew. The mayor of Marlinton even showed up to welcome us.....wonderful to be someplace where they appreciate the business.

Gerry blasted home on the interstate Sunday morning because he had a hot date or some such, but I had to wait until Monday to export my bike so Dave and I decided to meander north, taking the best roads we could find. I picked "Twisted Roads" brain and he had some great ideas. He'll be moving to the KW area soon, so I look forward to riding with him more. After a foggy ride up a single lane paved road right out of Marlinton, that seems to be so common in the area, we ended up at Seneca Rock and then took the gravel road up to the Dolly Sod's, which has a Northern Ontario flora feel to it. It was pretty, that's for sure.

...and the obligatory shot of the bikes:

...and the obligatory ADV salute:

We headed up to Old Town, Maryland to cross a private rickety wooden bridge that "Twisted Roads" also told us about. It's not that picturesque, but is a very cool way to get across the Potomac...costs a Quarter. We then took PA 26 north to State College and 144 (WOW!!) to Galeton were we split up. I was tired and stopped at the Oxyoke Inn, site of the last BYOB for repast before heading to Buffalo to load the bike in the truck and head home on Monday.

Monday morning, I sprinted North, loaded the bike up and began the export-import process. A good trip.........
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

I will be putting together a full ride report in the near future, but this is a quick summary with some pictures to post on ADV. Many members in the Canadian section are wondering about what their friends are up to and internet access has been poor at best for them to post. So here's a brief update and they will be adding their own soon enough. The rest of the crew returns in ~ 10 days.
I couldn't take the time off for the entire 6 weeks, so last October I signed up with Gary for the middle portion of the trip from Swakopmund through to Johannesburg. 21 days with 18 in Africa.

They had been on the road around 10 days when I arrived and had lost three bikes to road crashes already. One rider was airlifted home, but is now doing the well, while the other two have continued either on the the truck or on pillion. My first day of riding took us north on the salt road along the Skeleton Coast and then east though the Namibian desert. This experience changed my definition of "the middle of nowhere"

We had to separate by several hundred meters due to the dust we were kicking up so I missed the action, but Darrel, Harry and Shawn witnessed a group of Germans in a hatchback swerve in front of them and roll their car before landing back on the wheels. No one in our party was involved in the crash. Enrico, a firefighter in real life, was once again called into duty to render aid. A further reminder that the roads of Africa can take their toll if you are not careful.

We then spent a few days in Damaraland, Namibia at a fantastic campsite. During the day off, Harry and I decided to explore the local trails. Some of my favorite riding of the trip. Since the trails where tight and Rocky, and Harry was on a big GS, I was able to keep up with him.

We rode some fantastic gravel roads in this area. We had lunch at the Camel Inn before the few of us that wanted to run fast on the gravel split of from the bulk of the riders that took pavement. This is the entire entourage at lunch.

From there we entered Etosha National park and spent a couple of days there. We traveled through much of Namibia without seeing a lot of traffic, but when they do have a traffic jam, it is done in their own special style....

During the day off in Etosha we all climbed aboard safari trucks and drove through the park to visit the water holes and see the wild life. We saw tons of zebra, springbok, Kudu, Elephant, Lion, jackals...etc.... and I have lot's of great shots. Here, I'll just post one that I think is a great capture.

On our last night in Namibia we stayed in a camp along the Zambezi at the end of a long, long sandy road. On the other side of the Zambezi is Angola...There are lot's of beautiful sunsets in Africa.

We crossed into Zambia which was quite amusing. Since we were temporarily importing our bikes using Carnets, we had to first pay for our visas, then our local third party insurance and then our carbon tax and then our local council tax....you get the idea. All this was done with a smile as they led you to a new room, building or trailer of course. A roadside cop tried to shake us down for more on the way to Livingstone, but Gary handled him pretty well.

One thing about Zambia is that the local currency, the Kwatcha, is valued at ~4700 to the dollar. I actually withdrew 1,000,000 Quatcha and spent it all on beer, fuel and women in the the three days I was in Livingstone :-) This bought one beer....or I could have used 2 US Dollars :-)

While in Livingstone, I joined Bev, Sue, Shawn and his family in renting a helicopter to view Victoria falls. The water is low this time of year, as you can tell.

The campground in Livingstone was infested with monkeys and a few rogue baboons. The monkeys were cute, but they got into EVERYTHING!

We then crossed into Botswana, which involved another African bureaucratic handoff in Zambia (and another "council tax"), a ferry crossing and then a triplicate road tax application that took ~20 minutes per bike in Botswana....20 bikes - one window....some waiting :-). Botswana is the land of the elephants and we spent two days camped near the Chobe National Park. We took another game drive that brought us exquisite wildlife in the morning and then a sunset cruise on the Chobe river through the park. You may recognize some of this crew.

Further into Botswana, we camped in Nata. A few of us were able to pull ourselves away from the pool to join Darrel in a run to the Botswanan salt pan. 160km of flat nothing sort of like Bonneville. The ride back at night was spooky with the warthogs, donkeys, cattle, etc. Did I mention that Africa had great sunsets???

We then crossed the border into South Africa and the African wilderness seemed to turn into what most of us felt resembled a civilized Europe...amazing what difference a border can make. We spent the night in Hartbeetspoort which has a coastline somewhat resembling Amalfi.....

....and where the bikers from the greater Johannesburg area gather every Sunday.

Here's a shot Cath took of me crossing the dam in Hartbeetspoort
Old 06-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
Nice report Scott , looks like I missed a good BYOB
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #30
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL