Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 189
Thanks for the post! I was actually looking for a ride this weekend, and think I'll try yours!

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
So there we are... riding gravel as we come to it... enjoying a few more overlooks across the Gorge...

We went out both forks of Indian Creek Rd which has great riding along the water.

It was obviously popular for camping as there were more (parked) cars and tents along this stretch than anything we had seen before combined.

DryFire was leading and as I came around a turn I saw he was pulled off to the side. Thinking it was time for a stretch I pulled up next to him as he yelled, "Did you see that?"

He explained going a little deep in the last turn, getting into the muck along the shoulder of the road, and scoring a big time save.

You can see the tracks he ground in the shoulder and his path back across the road.

After a 10 minute break of water and oreos, he started scooping handfuls of mud off the bike, pulled a 6 inch earthworm off the front of his skidplate and flung it into the woods.

At this point the Save To Biff scoreboard still read

KLRs - 8
Red River Gorge - 0

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.

MeanStreaker screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 09:10 AM
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
So what route did you guys end up taking home? Indian creek road is cool but too bad it doesn't go through any more, that gate has only been up for the last couple years. It is good for fly fishing tho. Now you've got me motivated, reading this, and my brother is going camping this weekend down at RRG but I'm stuck out of town.

Not to threadjack at all, but here's a good loop if you get down there again. Some sick water crossings on Sand Lick Rd and some good places to throw up a tent too.

There is a gate at the end turning off of Rt 11, but no others so legally you would have to ride it all the way to the end, and turn around, then ride it back out. Makes no sense. Your choice.

AviatorTroy screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 08:48 AM
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Alright ladies and gentlemen, it's now time to share the best riding of the trip. If you ever make it out to RRG, you absolutely HAVE to check out Spas Creek Rd.

When filling up Camelbaks and canteens the day before at the Nature Center, the friendly Ranger was full of useful info. He told us Spas Creek starts off with nice gravel and then turns to a "Four Wheel Drive Only" track. I asked him how gnarly it got and he only looked at us sideways and didn't really answer.

DryFire has spent a lot of time hiking in the gorge and that is one road he's never checked out, so of course it made the list.

Spas Creek starts by passing a couple little houses near the intersection with the main road. This one looked really serene. Next to grazing horses, in the backyard, there was a well tended small, obviously family, cemetery plot. Inside the manicured fence was a swinging bench. We assumed the hand painted mural over the entrance memorialized whomever was buried there.

I can't imagine a more fitting resting place where family can come spend time and pay their respects.

Continue on and you'll soon discover Spas Creek has it all. It starts out like any other piece of gravel we'd ridden and then opens to a beautiful valley scene.

After a short distance the road stops being maintained. It's a little more overgrown and there are some minor mudbogs that are fun to blast through.

It's at one of these that the Gorge finally lands its first suckerpunch.

Man Down! Man Down!

DryFire was trying to go up the right side on a little bank to avoid a large bog, lost some momentum and went to put his left foot down. Finding nothing there, I watched as the bike ever so slowly kept tilting further and further left until Tim hopped off and the bike landed in the middle of the puddle.

Assuring me he's OK, I of course snapped the above pics quickly before helping him right the bike.

I even thanked him for the warning he gave to let me know he was going down. While fighting to keep the bike upright, he covered the horn as it slid to the ground.

No damage done and it was a tiny tipover. No big deal.

After this small stretch of road I took the lead and Spas Creek really delivered! A lot of (manageable) mud pits, some small water crossings (one down and back up a somewhat steep creekbed), small rock shelves to maneuver... This was the most fun road of the trip. I had one major save that was more luck than anything else when I came to a point in the road covered with some deep, serious quad tracks with loose slippery piles of mud everywhere.

Again, I really wish I had taken more pictures here, but it was just too much fun to ride and definitely challenging enough that there weren't many places I wanted to stop and lose my momentum.

I guess you'll just have to go see it for yourself.

MeanStreaker screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 09:17 AM
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Hey Troy, Sand Lick Rd sounds pretty sweet. Thanks.

Hey Tim, when are we going back!?!?

I'll post up our return route next.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

We tracked back out Spas Creek and stopped before heading west on 613 W, our first road officially pointed home.

Our plan was to head west, get close to I-75, and then turn north hopefully through Horse country.

For those that are interested, we ended up meandering from 613 to 974, to 89 into Winchester, KY for lunch.

This place was packed with locals inside, so you know it had to be good. DryFire ordered the third bacon cheeseburger of the weekend and I had the meatloaf special. Good stuff.

We left Winchester via 60W to 1678N to Paris, KY. Through town, we turned north on Hwy 1940. This was definitely Horse country as we passed mile after mile of black fences partitioning green pastures.

One very cool sight was a stable of horses galloping together through the field. I'd never seen that before and it reminded me of many western RR's on here when people ride past wild mustangs.

Somewhere along the way, and I don't remember where, we pulled off to catch some shade here. It was amazing how hot and humid it got right after leaving the Gorge area.

That last picture filled my memory card and I didn't want to risk the wrath of my pregnant wife for arbitrarily deleting stuff already on there.

We continued north 36 to 22 to 25 running parallel to I75 until approaching Florence, KY where you just have to bite the bullet and hit the slab.

Crossing the Ohio river and heading west through Cincinnati to DryFire's house, the beautiful weather finally ran out and the last 20 minutes gave us a pretty good downpour.

We pulled into Tim's garage just as the heavens really opened up with a major storm system of serious gusts and heavy rain. I was able to harbor myself there for about two hours until the worst of it passed. Somehow I lucked myself into a delicious home cooked meal (hi Angie! ).

When the cats and dogs turned to a light rain, I geared up anxious to get home to my wife.

I pulled into home around 9:30PM with a a sore face from slabbing through rain up 75 in an open dirt-style helmet, and a relatively clean ride from nature's bike wash.

All in all, everything went well, the bikes performed flawlessly, the camping gear worked out just fine, Tim is still talking to me...

So I guess we're on for MI's Upper Peninsula Adventure Tour at the end of July!

Both DryFire and I already bought the $16 sticker, so there's no turning back now.

Thanks for following along.

MeanStreaker screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 03:00 PM
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,013
Home the ride is good but we all have to go home thanks. I will ride the rrg area someday.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #23
DryFire
n00b

Oddometer: 9
MeanStreaker thanks for putting up the RR and taking the pics. You know I am up for going back at any time.

You know putting the bike in that ditch on the side of the road was a classic case of going where you are looking. I had been trying to push my speed up a bit, just to try to find the edge my abilities. I had for a while kept thinking to myself what if I end up going wide end up in one of these mud filled ditches, and so as I was going through the corners I kept finding myself looking at them. Sure enough that one corner brought together my worrying, my looking, and my limits in a muddy mess. But I kept the rubber side down that time, lol.

AviatorTroy, we actually pulled up to that gate on Sterling Rd. at KY11. I had looked at it and wanted to ride that area but since we came from the KY11 side we decided to turn back and go hit some of the other gravel roads that I knew were not gated. We will have to go back and come on from the other side sometime.

Thanks to everyone here at ADV, the stories and pics here are truly amazing.

DryFire
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Hope you don't mind but here are some pics of Spas Creek Road from back in the spring. Love that road and the whole area.

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
DryFire
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Sourjon nice pics of the trail. I was really enjoying that trail, but after MeanStreaker put his bike 90 degrees across the trail thanks to a rut we decided it might be smart to turn around. We were a ways from home afterall, lol.

I came to love that area back in college when I would backpack the RRG all of the time. I am just now starting to realize its potential from the back of a bike. There is no shortage of twisty pavement, or dirt and gravel for those who desire such things

Once I get some more 2 wheel dirt/gravel experience I will most definately give it another try. It was kind of sad turning around because on my quad I wouldn't have given the rest of that trail a second thought, oh well the more your ride the more you learn, and skills are never a bad thing to have.

DryFire
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 390
+1 for the Red River Gorge. I'm really happy you guys stopped at Miguel's. The Red is essentially a Mecca for rock climbers and Miguel's is the epicenter and hang out for most of the climbers in the area.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,136
So, so so many weekends spent in RRG.
I love every ride report, it's like going home again. I did live there for a few years too. Not long enough to throw a washing machine off a cliff, but long enough to know I don't belong there.

Great job!
I remember the first creek crossing well, XDBX and I stumbled upon it accidentally one day, and crossed it tentatively, not sure if we were allowed to. Fun stuff back there.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire View Post
Sourjon nice pics of the trail. I was really enjoying that trail, but after MeanStreaker put his bike 90 degrees across the trail thanks to a rut we decided it might be smart to turn around. We were a ways from home afterall, lol.

I came to love that area back in college when I would backpack the RRG all of the time. I am just now starting to realize its potential from the back of a bike. There is no shortage of twisty pavement, or dirt and gravel for those who desire such things

Once I get some more 2 wheel dirt/gravel experience I will most definately give it another try. It was kind of sad turning around because on my quad I wouldn't have given the rest of that trail a second thought, oh well the more your ride the more you learn, and skills are never a bad thing to have.

DryFire
The first pic I posted was near the start and had been torn up by the four wheel truck and jeepers. After that they tore up the go arounds on either side. Crap like that and throwing Budweiser cans everywhere is what gets areas closed. I did the TAT last year and I swear in the most remote places there are Bud cans or boxes.

Don't worry about backtracking. It'll be there next time. They say good judgment comes from experience. A lot of my experience has come from bad judgment

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #29
MeanStreaker OP
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Thanks for the pics of Spas Creek.

An inmate PM'd me asking for the names of the gravel roads we took at RRG. I know my MapSource screenshots in here aren't the most user friendly for anyone trying to find them.

Here's a quick public Google Map where I marked the beginning of the roads we took in case anyone wants it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...17957,0.297318

Rock Bridge Rd
Chimney Top Rock Rd
Indian Creek Rd
Spas Creek Rd