Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #526
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Joel, you kick supreme ass. Someone add the above post to the 800 Index & Links!!!

I think I will print your post, laminate it, and keep it in my toolkit!

Again, thank you so much.
I just did the same.

Thanks Joel.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #527
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post

Thanks Joel.
Amen!

I appreciate this forum, but it's members like Joel that make me check it every day.

I think I learn something new every time he posts.

If Joel lived/worked in CA, I'd take my bike to his shop for repairs no matter how far it was.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #528
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Great post Joel, thanks.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #529
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Heard from dealer a little while ago: fuel pump is shot. New one on the way.

Actually, what he said was that when they tried it this morning, it fired up. They read the codes and there were five "fuel pump fuse codes." After they ran it for a few minutes it threw another fuel pump fuse code.

They called BMW tech who said, "Replace the pump." I guess it's failing . . .

I'm not sure what all this means except that I'm getting a new fuel pump and will religiously use the Techron stuff.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #530
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not sure what all this means except that I'm getting a new fuel pump and will religiously use the Techron stuff.
Were you using the Techron before at all?

God bless,
David
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #531
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos View Post
Were you using the Techron before at all?

God bless,
David
I had just started using it. Without looking at my records, I put it in at 12,000 and 13,000 and it died at 13,4** It wasn't used up to that point.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #532
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Heard from dealer a little while ago: fuel pump is shot. New one on the way.

Actually, what he said was that when they tried it this morning, it fired up. They read the codes and there were five "fuel pump fuse codes." After they ran it for a few minutes it threw another fuel pump fuse code.

They called BMW tech who said, "Replace the pump." I guess it's failing . . .

The fuel pump is energized by the ZFE which can be thought of as a bunch of relays. The ZFE is smart as it measures how much power is being consumed by each thing it switches on. When current draw is excessive, the ZFE knows and switches it off to prevent whatever it switched on and its associated wiring from burning up. In this way the ZFE can also be thought of as a bunch of circuit breakers that reset automatically.

In your case, "fuel pump fuse codes." mean the ZFE detected excessive current flowing in the fuel pump circuit, or at least thinks it did.

The possible causes are.........

1: Bad ZFE that is crazy. This happens once in a blue moon, i've seen it exactly once, ever.

2: Damaged shorted wiring or connectors. I have never seen the factory harness short on an F8 yet, but have seen people wiring in extra things incorrectly to the fuel pump circuit and cause this code.

3: Bad fuel pump controller. I have seen this a few times, but it never caused this particular code, but in theory it could.

4: Fuel pump that is drawing excessive current cause its getting stuck or windings are shorting internally. This is the 800lb gorilla for this code, with rare exception it is always the cause of this code. And yes, BMW techron will usually prevent ethanol and water from causing the fuel pump to corrode and get stuck, but unfortunately, not always.

Your bike should be good as new shortly. Ride often and have fun:)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #533
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
The fuel pump is energized by the ZFE which can be thought of as a bunch of relays. The ZFE is smart as it measures how much power is being consumed by each thing it switches on. When current draw is excessive, the ZFE knows and switches it off to prevent whatever it switched on and its associated wiring from burning up. In this way the ZFE can also be thought of as a bunch of circuit breakers that reset automatically.

In your case, "fuel pump fuse codes." mean the ZFE detected excessive current flowing in the fuel pump circuit, or at least thinks it did.

The possible causes are.........

1: Bad ZFE that is crazy. This happens once in a blue moon, i've seen it exactly once, ever.

2: Damaged shorted wiring or connectors. I have never seen the factory harness short on an F8 yet, but have seen people wiring in extra things incorrectly to the fuel pump circuit and cause this code.

3: Bad fuel pump controller. I have seen this a few times, but it never caused this particular code, but in theory it could.

4: Fuel pump that is drawing excessive current cause its getting stuck or windings are shorting internally. This is the 800lb gorilla for this code, with rare exception it is always the cause of this code. And yes, BMW techron will usually prevent ethanol and water from causing the fuel pump to corrode and get stuck, but unfortunately, not always.

Your bike should be good as new shortly. Ride often and have fun:)
Thanks for explaining that so well Joel. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (could be the margarita too though) knowing my bike should be GTG soon.

And do you ever sleep??
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #534
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that so well Joel. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (could be the margarita too though) knowing my bike should be GTG soon.

And do you ever sleep??
I try never to sleep when i'm this busy, it is very inefficient! Now, if I could only get my techs to do the same....

But i'm guessing it is mostly the margarita making u feel warm and fuzzy, which sounds good by the way, if only I had the fixings :(

ooo OOO, I have some baileys in the fridge :)

Disregard any further postings from me as drunken rambling
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #535
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I try never to sleep when i'm this busy, it is very inefficient!
Are you busy because there are a lot of bikes breaking down and coming in for service?

God bless,
David
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #536
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
P.S. For JR above, yes the k7x's have a fuel pressure regulator. It's in the tank. The description of the fuel pressure sensor function does not agree with my education or experience, but the description of failure symptoms is spot on. And yes the bike will run fine with it unplugged, indefinitely.

Joel, what's a k7x?

I was at the dealer yesterday, and the head mechanic told me had two other bikes in just yesterday alone for failed fuel pumps. He also told me that the fuel pump installed on my bike is a newly updated part, designed especially to resist ethanol damage. He told me this with no prompting from me, so I am hopeful it is true. Have you heard anything about this?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #537
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post

Joel, what's a k7x?

I was at the dealer yesterday, and the head mechanic told me had two other bikes in just yesterday alone for failed fuel pumps. He also told me that the fuel pump installed on my bike is a newly updated part, designed especially to resist ethanol damage. He told me this with no prompting from me, so I am hopeful it is true. Have you heard anything about this?
I am hopeful this is the pump I am getting! I know they had to order me a new pump from BMW, they didn't have any in stock.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #538
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post

Joel, what's a k7x?

Haven't heard a thing about the fuel pump being redesigned, but if so, that's fantastic

As for "K7x". That's the bike series. K7x = all twin cylinder f650gs, f800gs, f800st f800s and f800r
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #539
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
[QUOTE=JoelWisman;16244669]Haven't heard a thing about the fuel pump being redesigned, but if so, that's fantastic

My part number for this new fuel pump was either 16-14-7-720-778 (identified as "Fuel pump. electron") or 16-14-7-723-151 (identified as "Fuel Pump unit with depends on year")

Those are exactly the same two PNs that were listed back in August of 2010 when this happened to me the first time and both were replaced.

If BMW improves something like the fuel pump, and it becomes standard issue replacing the first model, does the PN get changed or not?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #540
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

My fuel pump was just replaced today. Part no. 16-14-7-723-151.

My bike is back in my garage where it belongs!!