Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
HARDHAT.223
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Duh, I guess that's the way you've been heading!
HARDHAT.223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
Gnslngr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I am in awe. You've taken the rather unremarkable geographic nature of my state, Illinois, and turned it into something I cannot wait to hear more of. Kudos to you, and keep it coming!
Gnslngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDHAT.223 View Post
Dude! I am from Bloomington originally and used to hang out in Lexington and El Paso and all around these parts. Canoed down the Mackinaw many times and rode to many of the places you're showing pictures of. You got me a little homesick right now!! Keep 'em coming please.

Oh yeah, there's another good one right off Hwy 39 at Kappa...and several all the way down to the big river.

HARDHAT.223, Glad I could bring back some good memories for you!

Do you recall which side of 39 the bridge was located? I spent some time on google earth searching for it, but came up empty handed. I have good luck stopping at local coffee shops and talking with the older locals. They are usuall willing to help out and tell stories about their communities.

thanks for the lead!!

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnslngr View Post
I am in awe. You've taken the rather unremarkable geographic nature of my state, Illinois, and turned it into something I cannot wait to hear more of. Kudos to you, and keep it coming!

Im glad your enjoying this! I will post more photos and history of the bridges as I have time (damn work cuts into my ride time )!!
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
HARDHAT.223
n00b

I just noticed you're from Armington...I have family there so odds are you know them. Ackerson is their name, small world indeed.

Not sure if you'd come from the North or South...coming from Bloomington you would go North on 39 to the Lake Road exit, exit 8 I think? If you go North on the service road (251 - I 39 used to be U.S. 51) there are actually 3 bridges there...the Interstate....the one you are on....and if you look East there is the old steel bridge. Drank many a beer and shot .22's off that bridge back in the day. Awesome whitetail herd in there, you can see hundreds at dusk to the South of Lake Evergreen.

I think you can still get to it off of the Lake Road...when you turn off of 39 go East a little way and then take a left (North). There's some houses back in there and that road will take a big loop East and put you back on the Lake road so you can't get lost.

My buddies own a lot of the bottom land on the North side so I always came from that side but it's all private property...and be careful most are pretty cool but there's eye's everywhere and like I said we used to do a lot of shooting down there.

I know I'm getting long winded here but once you check that out go East on the Lake Road to the Tee and have a burger at Green Gables, really miss that. If Kevin is working tell him Mike (Burky) says hi and get directions to another bridge just North of the dam at Lake Bloomington, it's not steel but it's a cool little vantage point. If you keep following the Mackinaw there are a bunch of little bridges all the way down.

Heck if you head into El Paso stop at Topsy's and mention me, you'll either get smacked or someone will buy you a beer!

I expect pictures! http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kappa+...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA

HARDHAT.223 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 06:28 PM
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDHAT.223 View Post
I just noticed you're from Armington...I have family there so odds are you know them. Ackerson is their name, small world indeed.

Not sure if you'd come from the North or South...coming from Bloomington you would go North on 39 to the Lake Road exit, exit 8 I think? If you go North on the service road (251 - I 39 used to be U.S. 51) there are actually 3 bridges there...the Interstate....the one you are on....and if you look East there is the old steel bridge. Drank many a beer and shot .22's off that bridge back in the day. Awesome whitetail herd in there, you can see hundreds at dusk to the South of Lake Evergreen.

I think you can still get to it off of the Lake Road...when you turn off of 39 go East a little way and then take a left (North). There's some houses back in there and that road will take a big loop East and put you back on the Lake road so you can't get lost.

My buddies own a lot of the bottom land on the North side so I always came from that side but it's all private property...and be careful most are pretty cool but there's eye's everywhere and like I said we used to do a lot of shooting down there.

I know I'm getting long winded here but once you check that out go East on the Lake Road to the Tee and have a burger at Green Gables, really miss that. If Kevin is working tell him Mike (Burky) says hi and get directions to another bridge just North of the dam at Lake Bloomington, it's not steel but it's a cool little vantage point. If you keep following the Mackinaw there are a bunch of little bridges all the way down.

Heck if you head into El Paso stop at Topsy's and mention me, you'll either get smacked or someone will buy you a beer!

I expect pictures! http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kappa+...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA

Mike, Yes, I do know some Ackerson's, infact my brother married one (Jack and Margret's daughter, Dawn). I just move to Armington a little over a year ago, I've lived most my of my life east of Atlanta. My father and uncle owned the motorcycle shop there in Atlanta from 1973 through the late 1980s. They started out with OSSA, LAVERDA, FANTIC, ROCKFORD, HERCULES and got the SUZUKI franchise in 1975.

I did find the Kappa Iron Bridge in Google Earth. I will try to get up there this weekend and grab some photos and post them here. I havent been to the Green Gables in years, but will stop for a burger and tell Kevin you said hi.

Brad
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Awesome thread. I was planning on doing a trip through the state next spring and if you get a route together I will surely ride it! Thanks for doing this.
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Loving this. Spent the late 80's and early 90's camping at my buddy's trailer on the Mackinaw for what memory serves as several weekends a month for the whole summer. Just north of Carlock, float down several miles setting and baiting the trot lines. Check em at midnight and again at daybreak. Big Cats!

Being raised a city kid, I learned as much from those guys as the university. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Our band, Situation Normal, played bars is most of the towns you guys have mentioned.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
Sidney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Rhino,

Are you part of the group that rides out of Eureka once a week all on dirt/DS's? I'm from Bloomington and just bought a '09 KLR650 brand new and been getting miles before heading to Colorado this Friday. Guess I've been by Green Gables & Lake Road Inn a couple times in the last 2 weeks! Haven't stopped since it's too early in my evening rides to stop yet for dinner.

If you plan a Bridge group ride...let me know and I'll tag along. I'm sure after a week of off road...I'll be jonesing for some dirt/gravel.

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #25
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Rhino,

Are you part of the group that rides out of Eureka once a week all on dirt/DS's? I'm from Bloomington and just bought a '09 KLR650 brand new and been getting miles before heading to Colorado this Friday. Guess I've been by Green Gables & Lake Road Inn a couple times in the last 2 weeks! Haven't stopped since it's too early in my evening rides to stop yet for dinner.

If you plan a Bridge group ride...let me know and I'll tag along. I'm sure after a week of off road...I'll be jonesing for some dirt/gravel.

Sidney

Sidney, I am not one of the group that rides out of Eureka on DS's, but would like to know more about them. If anyone from that group reads this thread please send me a message, Id like to tag along sometime.
Enjoy your trip to Colorado,and take lots of photos!
Im heading to Shelby County tomorrow morning to photograph iron bridges, and then to Kappa on Sun or Mon morning to photograph that bridge. If your trip to Colorado falls through, and you (or anyone reading this) want to ride along, Pm me.

Keep in touch, Brad
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Rhino,,,, WOW you have brought back some memories for me!
I grew up in Fulton county and lived in Macomb for a few years in the early 1980’s. I have ridden bikes over both the bridges you have posted from over there. The one just north of Bernoditte was the main way in and out of town back then. Did lots of riding and exploring Camp Ellis. The target emplacements were right along rifle road. Some of the buildings were still standing.
If you get back over that way I have also crossed the bridge that is north west of Bernoditte on what google maps is calling North Tarters Ferry Ln. It may not still be there, is was in bad shape and the road even worse 25 years ago!
Another steel bridge was in London Mills right in town I have herd that it is still there but only open to foot traffic now.

Back then there use to also be a ferry still running crossing the Mississippi, some of us would make
day rides over and cross on the ferry and come back at Keokuk.

If I can think so some other bridges up that way I will point you to them. I have not been up there in over 20 years though.
Thanks for the memories !

Checking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Mills_Bridge is gone.
Hairsmith

hairsmith screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 10:18 AM
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #27
HARDHAT.223
n00b

Hey Brad, I've been thinking about the Kappa bridge I told you about and remembered an important bit of info. That bridge is a railroad bridge. It seems that the years (more than I care to admit) and the beer drinking we did there clouded my memory a little. We did however ride motorcycles on it and I seem to remember a jeep or two...

There was another old bridge there from a bygone era but I doubt you'd even see evidence of it anymore. There was even an amusement park of sorts down in there back in the day. I used to tend bar in Kappa and the old timers always had the good stories and history. The bars gone and now it's a strip club. Sadly, a lot of those old timers are gone too.

Have a great ride this weekend and be safe.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bolivia Road Bridge

Despite the predicted 110 degree heat index, I left home in S/E Tazewell county and headed south through Logan and Sangamon Counties to the Sangamon/Christian County line. I was looking for the Bolivia Road Bridge. This bridge is the oldest in Illinois to include a Parker through-truss span (named for the engineer C.H. Parker) that still serves vehicular traffic. Connecting the counties of Sangamon and Christian, this single-lane, steel-and-timber bridge was built in 1901. Located 20 miles southeast of Springfield, the Bolivia Road Bridge is one of eight remaining bridges in Illinois utilizing a Parker through-truss. Most others in the state have been replaced by bridges of reinforced concrete. Steel-truss bridges 110 years ago, when this bridge was constructed, were a common bridge type of the time and were known for their strength, relative lightness, and durability. The Bolivia Road Bridge is 622 feet in length and the portal bracings of the bridge display ornamental trim.
Sadly, In 2001, the Sangamon County Highway Department announced plans to replace it with a new concrete structure. Due to lack of funding, however, the bridge has not yet been demolished and replaced. Local advocates are working with county and state officials to preserve the bridge for cycling and pedestrian use. In the meantime, the bridge continues to deteriorate and may risk closure. This magnificent piece of turn of the century architecture may soon be no more than a side note in the history books. If you want to view it for your self you can at N3946'03" , W8920'44"

This amazing bridge is over 620 feet long! It is hard to show the size with just photos, so I made a short video clip which I hope will present a better idea of its actual length. I apologise for the poor video quality. I really need a better camera!

I traveled 189 miles today and photographed 5 bridges. I will post the others in a few days after I research them.

Brad
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
That's very cool, and right in my back yard. I ride the Mt Auburn Blacktop over to Springfield all the time, I'll have to take a little side trip and check that out.

Hot day for a ride. I did 235 miles just running around and called it quits.

You've done a great job of finding an interesting topic in an area that doesn't generally offer very good riding.

Excellent thread!
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #30
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Well Rhino, this thread has inspired me. After looking around on google earth, found this. My wife and I went this morning and walked it. Great way to spend the morning. Great thread and I hope you don't mind this contribution.

Millbrook Bridge - 1897 - Pratt through truss

Approximate latitude, longitude +41.60674, -88.56190, 4136'24" N, 8833'43" W

Three spans with two piers. One span is different from the other two. Over the Fox.

New Bridge in the back....

The upstream side has sustained some unrepaired damage over the years.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?

alekkas screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 01:53 PM
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote