Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #331
AKTroy OP
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemcon View Post
Worked very well for me. Also made great mounting location for GPS. Very simple. No vibration. Road from SF Ca. to Deadhorse AK. in May 2010. Nice air bubble over helmet and out to shouders.

Expensive but worth it!!!
Id like to get a better look at that mount. Exactly what Id like to do. Just the two bolts?

AKTroy screwed with this post 05-19-2011 at 05:09 PM
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #332
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Anybody else have a headlight height adjustment problem with their D3 fairing? My headlight hits the fairing on the right side at a position that is not high enough to shine down the road properly. It makes the light point at the ground not too far from the front of the bike.

Here's my problem:

I've marked the contact area with duct tape for this photo. Here's a closer look at my issue:

I've owned my D3 for about 6 months now, and been very pleased with it otherwise. I didn't discover the headlight adjustment problem until spring arrived and I began riding at night. Its kind of a "this dog won't hunt" scenario....at least for me.

I spoke with the TT folks, and they said they've not seen or heard of this problem before. Wanted to see some photos, so I sent them some earlier today. Thought I'd share it with the collective to see if anyone else has encountered this problem also.

After losing some sleep over the issue....action was required. Mustering up the courage following a stiff drink , at High Noon, I pulled my Dremel from its holster and fired a daring shot:

Piece of CAKE! Worked like a charm. The fairing is fine, and I now have plenty of room to swivel the headlight for proper adjustment.

Call me crazy, but now, I can get back to having a good night of sleep!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #333
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Anybody else have a headlight height adjustment problem with their D3 fairing? My headlight hits the fairing on the right side at a position that is not high enough to shine down the road properly. It makes the light point at the ground not too far from the front of the bike.

Here's my problem:

I've marked the contact area with duct tape for this photo. Here's a closer look at my issue:

I've owned my D3 for about 6 months now, and been very pleased with it otherwise. I didn't discover the headlight adjustment problem until spring arrived and I began riding at night. Its kind of a "this dog won't hunt" scenario....at least for me.

I spoke with the TT folks, and they said they've not seen or heard of this problem before. Wanted to see some photos, so I sent them some earlier today. Thought I'd share it with the collective to see if anyone else has encountered this problem also.

After losing some sleep over the issue....action was required. Mustering up the courage following a stiff drink , at High Noon, I pulled my Dremel from its holster and fired a daring shot:

Piece of CAKE! Worked like a charm. The fairing is fine, and I now have plenty of room to swivel the headlight for proper adjustment.

HF
Armed with a Dremel.....not afraid to use it....... I like it....Great job....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #334
jussaral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Here's my problem:

HF
I did have a similar issue but in fact TT forgot to drill the holes. I did it myself and then found that the headlight could not be adjusted :-( I did not sleep until I fixed it in the morning :-)))
jussaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #335
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Cool2 I wear my sunglasses at night!

BMW R 1200 GS | Triple Black Desierto 3 Special Edition

VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #336
CORider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Wow... a beauty!

I wouldn't ride it, Just stare at it!!!
CORider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #337
BikeBeginner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
Took the bike for a trip this weekend and put a good number of miles on the highway at 70-80 MPH. Can you say crazy wind roar? I even put the wax ear plugs in and it was still too noisy for me. When I stood and let the wind hit me full on it was whisper quiet; sit down again and freight train! I'm not as happy with the windscreen anymore. It's great for low speed and off-road, IMO, (oh and looks) but not so good on the highway. Damn!

Anyone else feel this way? Mind you, I have an Aeroflow on my 1150 Adventure (not a good comparison).....but this doesn't even come close. It's actually better with the tiny F650GS screen, noise-wise, which barely comes above the gauges. Do I need to sell it and buy the big-ass Aeroflow? Damn!

Bummed in Austin
This is not good news for me, I'm expecting my new Desierto III to be delivered tomorrow. Definately want less noise as original screen is crazy loud for me. Whats your length and what kind of seat are you using? Maybe there will be a barely used D3 for sale here soon =).

ps. If were talking big/quiet screens, is the AeroFlow best in class? Might order one of them if this doesn't work.
BikeBeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #338
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Check out the Madstad. I've had mine for almost two years and don't think you can find a better touring shield for the 800GS at any price ( and it only costs $300) Nothing but phrase in the touring shield thread running here in Parallel Universe and on the 800GS forum.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #339
BikeBeginner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Check out the Madstad. I've had mine for almost two years and don't think you can find a better touring shield for the 800GS at any price ( and it only costs $300) Nothing but phrase in the touring shield thread running here in Parallel Universe and on the 800GS forum.
The madstad? You mean one of these: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1118/.f?
BikeBeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #340
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeBeginner View Post
The madstad? You mean one of these: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1118/.f?
Thats the one He guarantees it and will take it back if you don't like it.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #341
kirbyc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
6'5"
800gs w/ D3 Windscreen high/forward position
Arai XD
Touratech High Breathable Seat

Looking for solutions at highway speeds. Whistling (most likely the helmet), plus the wind hits me at the top of helmet.

I'm thinking a shoei rf1100 or shoei hornet could be the answer to all my problems.
kirbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #342
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyc View Post
6'5"
800gs w/ D3 Windscreen high/forward position
Arai XD
Touratech High Breathable Seat

Looking for solutions at highway speeds. Whistling (most likely the helmet), plus the wind hits me at the top of helmet.

I'm thinking a shoei rf1100 or shoei hornet could be the answer to all my problems.

At your height, that visor on the XD just might be the problem. Do you have a conventional road helmet you could try first and do you use ear plugs? Can you take the visor off?? Duct tape everything ???
Spending $350 on a new lid is an expensive experiment.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #343
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
At your height, that visor on the XD just might be the problem. Do you have a conventional road helmet you could try first and do you use ear plugs? Can you take the visor off?? Duct tape everything ???
Spending $350 on a new lid is an expensive experiment.
At 6'4", I take the visor off my Shoei Hornet when on pavement for a long length of time - which, unfortunately, ends up being most of the time.

Works for me.
DonHS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #344
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
At 6'4", I take the visor off my Shoei Hornet when on pavement for a long length of time - which, unfortunately, ends up being most of the time.

Works for me.

There you go !!!! Another Advrider problem solved.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #345
kirbyc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wicked

good call on the experimenting before dropping $300. I do use earplugs. I removed the visor today, road 300 miles today, and had a loud whistle the whole time. I'm convinced it's the helmet - I'm gonna try and test a few old helmets out in order to find the right one.

I used the same XD3 on my previous 1200gsa and had no problems given the car-sized windshield I was relaxing behind. The 800 is a different story.

Sounds like the Hornet may be better/quieter for 60+ speeds???
kirbyc is offline   Reply With Quote