Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #151
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am so jealous of where you live! What breathtaking scenery, and this is just Day 1! I keep your SpotWalla page in the background throughout the day, so I can at least pretend that I'm riding through all that beautiful countryside instead of sitting in my office with no windows. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #152
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Go girlzzzzz!!!!

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #153
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
In Grand Prairie!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #154
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Hope you are having a wonderfull trip.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #155
OldMedic
Trouble Maker

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
In Grand Prairie!
Would have loved to catch you girls for lunch on your way through.

Happy trails... Ride safe.

OldMedic

Sick and Stupid people keep me employed
OldMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #156
Falco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Love the pics and your RR. Waiting for more

And yes,
HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #157
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
In.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #158
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Happy Canada Day ladies, eh !

I have an XC on order so I am very interested in how the bikes fare on your trip.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #159
marcus-st12
frenchy

Oddometer: 211
well we put on the previous version on the scout...the one just before yours and so far we put almost 8000km on them (Colorado, Utah trip) and they are holding up pretty good.....a little noisy but very nice all around. My buddy did get a defective rear tire wich leaked slowly out the sidewall. It was replaced but we would have liked to catch the problem earlier (found out the day of the trip) have a great trip and ride safe
Quote:
Here they are....seems like next month the 150 Scouts if anyone is interested should be more available then they are right now. So, how will these tires do? We hope all the way and back on one set....what do you guys think? nice looking tires eh? We want to thank MTR Sports for generously donating 1 set of tires on behalf of ACT-Autism Community Training. See 1st post.

Our neighbours are starting to get curious!

marcus-st12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #160
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,431
Looks like a great trip and I am also thinking about a 2012 TT XC. I will be following along Have fun be safe! And what are the red things on top of your bags?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #161
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Sunny, Windy North - 423.7 KM

Hinton, Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC

We took it easy last night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hinton. It was supposed to rain and it did. Plus, we wanted to load up a lot of pictures. Besides this is our hard earned holiday isn’t it?

Had a nice warm breakfast and headed to route 40 from the hotel. But before we actually got too far we needed to make a pit stop at the local Hinton Canadian Tire so Cheryl could go McGyver trying to figure out how to secure our GPS to her bike. We did not get the bikes soon enough to hard wire the GPS and me (Leslie) did not know the mount we had for the GPS was not a 1 inch ball. It is 1/2 so I bought the wrong attachment.
In any case of course Cheryl figured out how to secure the GPS using indoor outdoor thick double sided tape and electrical tape. This is now what her set up looks like and she LOVES it.

Weather was mostly sunny today but the cross winds were at times almost hurtful and I literally mean felt like we were being punched! After driving away from Hinton it was really cool to be able to make that right up Rt 40 to start our trek to Alaska. As I posted before we were in Hinton last year and had to pass by this sign to head home.

Our first pit stop was at Grand Cache, Alberta for some fuel and a quick poke around the visitor centre.

Some displays of the local wildlife.

Next stop was in Grand Prairie, Alberta where we filled up with some fuel and did a quick clean and lube of our chains. The dealer used wax on the chains. What a job to get that off and just use lube.

Just an observation about the Tiger’s center kickstand. Either the design is wrong or we are just stupid? On our Beemers we can easily lift our bikes without having to have help from the other. This bike NO WAY. It is weird and no matter what we do both of us can not get the bikes up on the stand by ourselves. Also, Triumph needs to add stronger springs, we even have a little bungee cord trying to keep the stands from smacking the underside of the bike. The bikes are great and I will try to do a post on the bad and the good as soon as I can. it’s the little things that make us scratch our heads.

Back on the road towards Dawson Creek and couldn’t pass by THIS character who was beckoning to us from the side of the road in Beaverlodge.

This is the sky for most of the day….very puffy eh?

How funny is this..we left BC on June 29th, lost an hour of time heading into Alberta and returned to BC today and gained the hour lost.

Last stop for the day is Dawson Creek where we are currently posting this update from.

A big thank you to Auntie Marilynne and Uncle Fred for their wonderful hospitality!

We will be spending tomorrow here in Dawson Creek and leaving for Fort Nelson on Sunday morning. Love Leslie’s helmet hair?

Next post will be????????? Hopefully when we get to Fort Nelson. This is where the real adventure begins and we are having fun talking with Cheryl’s family in Dawson Creek about what we might expect. Lot’s of things to watch out for and things to see. On thing is for sure the weather either makes or breaks this type of trip. Everyone send good vibes for weather we can deal with….we do not want anything to extreme. For now…..Cheers until next time.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #162
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We have over 2000 KM on the bikes now

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Looks like a great trip and I am also thinking about a 2012 TT XC. I will be following along Have fun be safe! And what are the red things on top of your bags?
the red containers are rotopax for extra fuel. 1 gallon in each pax. We will need extra fuel a few times on this trip especially on the Robert Campbell Highway and possibly the Dempster. The Tigers are not doing well on gas but to be fair the head winds we have been riding in have been bad. So, maybe things will get better gas wise if the winds change.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #163
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Center Stand

Try this method:

Left hand on the handle bar, right hand on a lower frame member. Step on the center stand tang, lift bike off the side stand until both center stand feet are on the ground. Pull BACK, not up. Should pop right up.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #164
OldMedic
Trouble Maker

Oddometer: 58
We just stayed @ the Lakeside Inn in Fort Nelson a few days ago, nice rooms, decent Internet and a free continental breakfast. Try Dan's Pub for supper. It was good pub food.

The day previous we stayed at the Laird Hotsprings Lodge. Not bad, decent food, friendly staff. Hot springs were great.

Watch for lots of wildlife both in the ditches and on the road, many bison whom do not know the rules of the road, bear and caribou.

Take care, ride safe.

BTW, we could not find anywhere with Internet between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake.

Later... OldMedic

Sick and Stupid people keep me employed
OldMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #165
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Laugh

Quote:
Hinton, Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC

Those Canadians just love BIG monuments.

Shediac, New Brunswick, alleged lobster capital of the world.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote