User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,144
Moving to the Navajo Natl Monument

Nip had come back with a story last night of spending time having lunch next to a custom bike shop. He talked to the owner for a while.
I had visions of pulling my DR's carb and going thru it again in this shops parking lot and borrowing their compressed air to blow out the passages.
To that end we went riding North on 89 Thru Kanab nearly to Glendale.....without finding said bike shop. Finally we gave up, but all was not lost. We'd just done 60 miles of new country to me while riding in perfect condition. Whats not to like about that?
Here's what we saw. You can't beat southern Utah!
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Some of those Cliff alcoves have been used..
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

While we looked for the bike shop, I had been thinking about how to blow that carb out with the small electric tire pump that I carried with me, after all that thing goes to 200 lbs.
I figured that I'd buy a blow gun and a tubeless tire valve stem. I'd hook them together with a 4' piece of gas hose that I carry with me. The gas hose would be my air tank. It worked pretty good. It gave me a short blast of 50 PSI air every 10 seconds. Now I was ready for that carb problem.
Here's a picture...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We decided to skip the bike shop since we couldn't find it. We turned around and back tracted to Fredonia and then went on toward Jacobs lake and the Navajo Bridges 89A.
Let me say that the weather on this trip had been wonderful so far. Sunshine and in the 80s at the elevations we were running around in very little wind. I hoped that the weather Gods continued along with us.
89A east of Jacobs Lake is another scenic ride down the mountain and then breaking out on the high mesa that houses the deep gorge of the Co River west of Lake Powell. The Vermilian Cliffs are spectacular on the left with wide open spaces to the right, all done in brilliant earth tones.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We had breakfast at a place called 'Clff Dwellers'. It was a small motel and Cafe. It had been there a long time. I asked where were the cave with the Indian ruins. The joke was on me. The waitress said that there were no Indian ruins. The Cliff Dwellers were the people of the motel as they were so close to the Vermilian Cliffs out back.
From Indian country Feb '10

On to the Navejo Bridges and Lee's Ferry... This is the Co River Gorge that the Navajo bridges cross.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Speaking of Lee's Ferry.....apparently Lee was kinda exiled to run the Ferry since he had massacred a bunch of Mormon men women and children, in his care, over near St George. He tried to get away with it by sticking arrows in the victim's bullet holes and blaming it on the local indians. Read more....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D....adows_massacre
.....on the way into Lee's Ferry

We moved on across the bridge to Bitter Springs where we doubled back toward page Az.

That took us up a 3000 ft Mtn and thru a remarkable gap.
The wind had begun to pick up about an hour ago, and was blowing 30 to 40 mph. A hard head wind will slow me down to where I can't pull sixth gear. I struggled with that for the last 2 hours....seemed like 6hrs.
To compound my problem, I'd put a car tire on my bike in order to get better tire mileage. The tire was 1.5 inches larger which weaken my bikes pull. I struggled on over to the N N Monument 100 miles away.
The NNM is 10 miles off the beaten path, and their free camping is a little know fact. Seems like the Indians like to give up rights to certain Indian ruin area so that the Federal protection will keep the treasure hunters at bay. Usually the Indians retain certain rights to the areas, and often stipulate that they maintain free camping.
Museums and scientific foundation were as bad as anyone in the past 100 years or so. They'd come in and do a bunch of collecting and take the artifact out with them to study, and then put them on display in a museum somewhere. The Indian would like to have all that stuff back.
Anyway the Indians and the feds have a tense working relationship in these areas. They're working it all out, I guess.

We got into the Visitors Center before it closed for the night. We learned that there was a walking tour in the morning to the Betatakin ruin which we signed up for. http://www.jqjacobs.net/southwest/betatakin.html

We went on to a campsite and set up for an early set up at 5pm.
From 2011 SM4C

It's a pretty nice campground...bathrooms and potable water.
From 2011 SM4C

We had time so we ran back the 10 miles to the intersection of 160 and picked up the makins for a Spaghetti dinner. It consisted of a lb of pasta, a pint of spaghetti sauce and a lb of frozen hamburger.
Nip found a place on his engine to put the hamburger in order to thaw it out on the way back to camp. It Thawed half of it out by the time we got to camp.
I crank up one of my Alcohol stoves to cook the Spaghetti, and another to cook the hamburger with the sauce. For a first timer, the dinner was great. Truthfully a can of Spaghetti in sause would have been as good.
We went to bed thinking about the 2 mile hike to Betatakin in the morning....
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 12:18 PM
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Old Man Bud is holding up Ok, Sion. His family kind of put pressure on me to quit taking him on long rides.....

He was down in Baja for the Baja 1000 when I left for this trip. The Baja races are always fun to watch.

well thats a pisser...shouldnt that be HIS decision, not theirs?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

looks like being retired is hard work, but somebody has to do it, right pedro?

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Great scenery pics Pedro! But that is one loaded V65 Sabre! WHOA!
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoothillRyder View Post
Great scenery pics Pedro! But that is one loaded V65 Sabre! WHOA!
I figure that a fat girlfriend would weigh as much, Ron....not counting the trailer's load.

Quote:
YWR SAYS: looks like being retired is hard work, but somebody has to do it, right pedro?
I'm making a sacrifice for the working man.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Black Mesa Coal Mine

I forgot to tell you guys.....that just before the turn off to the NNM, and 20 miles west of Kayenta, Nip and I went under a covered conveyor belt that comes a couple miles out of the mtn to the south of Hwy 160.
From Drop Box

I've been under that thing at least a half dozen times like you have, and never really gave it much of a thought. Well, I've learned that that is a 17 mile long conveyor from the Black Mesa coal Mine started about mid century of the 1900s.
It's the biggest coal deposit in the USA worth an estimate of a 100 billion bucks. The coal is railroaded to a power plants over around Page. Additionally there is a pipe line to run coal slury 275 miles to Laughlin NV for their power.
Imagine the Navajo Indians having that kind of mineral resources going for them. I bet our gov boys didn't know that coal was there when our government gave them that reservation.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Betatakin Ruins

The Navajo Natl monument is all about appreciation of the Indian Culture. We got up and made our guide tour commitment at 10:30. We missed the 8am tour by over sleeping.
We were going into this Canyon by foot.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

An Indian ranger gal was our guide. She was knowledgeable and pleasant. Here's one of the places where she gave us info about the Native use of the herbs of the area.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From near the top we can see the trail below.......
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Nip and I both survive the going down part in good spirits.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The ceiling of that alcove was consider unstable so we didn't get any closer than the last picture. That was cool. The ranger told us all that they knew, (or thought) about the Indians that lived there.
She said that the women did the masonry work here, and there were about 25 families there....and of course many of the stories have fallen down
Peculiarly, the Indian lived here in the 13th century, but thru carb dating these ruins were used for less than fifty year. That's extremely short as many cliff dwelling in the southwest were centuries old.
Here's my best picture.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Also everywhere we looked on the ground near the ruins were lots of pot shards.
Looking across the canyon from the ruins.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We got ourselves up the 800 ft back to the Visitor's Center. It wasn't too bad. This Indian maid was in the VC weaving a rug. That's a couple of months worth of work by the time she's finished.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

......and here's another artist selling small painting. He could really capture a scene...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

There were donation bowls for the artists and another for the VC. I chose to give a small donation to the artists.

There's another Ruin known as Keat Seel with an overnight walking tour to it. It's eight miles away, and you have to carry everything in for the night. That's at least 2 gallons of water. I Don't know if I can do that...but I'm thinking about it. Maybe next year when I grow up.

Later that day the ADVriders, the Tuckers, rolled into camp just across the street from us. They were on their way to Alaska's DtoD rally in Dawson City.
They had been forewarned, about me, by Gery with an E. Small world.
...Look at those classy BMWs. James and Colleen were great to spend an evening with.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Another nice day was had. We would spend another night there camping, then move on to Canyon De Chelle tomorrow...
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Canyon De Chelle was only a hundred miles away, and before I went down there 70 miles south of 160, I wanted to go north of Kayenta thru Monument Valley to Mexican Hat.
I want to run the Valley of the Gods road that curls around to the base of the Moki Dugway.
Today was to be the day, but I had to get the DR going first. When I filled the bike up from the out of gas situation, it wouldn't start. I got up early and ripped the carb off again...I was getting good at it by now.
As I looked the carb over I found a bugger in the float needle....and something that I'd missed before. When I dropped the carb out on the trail the other day, it fell on a capped off vacuum nipple and cut a hole in the rubber vacuum cap.
Crap all I had to do is plug that hole and all would be well. Sure enough the DR ran like a scalded dog when I got it back together.
Now I was ready for the Valley of the Gods road.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #24
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Keep it up Pedro, this is one great story with fantastic pics.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #25
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Keep it up Pedro, this is one great story with fantastic pics.
Thanks, Ron, as you know these reports run on comments.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
JdFan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Most Amazing

The pictures are absolutely breathe taking. A trip to that area is in my future.

You also have a most enjoyable writing style, a fun read.
2005 ST 1300-sold
2010 900 Adv. 990 S (All Mine)
JdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Nip and I rode out of camp by 9:30 to another ideal day. We made the first 30 mile destination to Kayenta, and stopped at MD's for breakfast and a bit of internet catch up.
We agreed to go our separate ways for the day and meetup tonight at the campground at Canyon De Chelle.
It was 45 miles of pavement out to Mexican Hat so I towed out there thru Monument Valley. Lately I've been there 3 or 4 times, but I took pictures again as I rode. Pictures thru there are always different due to cloud and sunlight conditions....so here are my latest.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I was struck with how much this one looked like an Indian maid.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I unloaded in Mexican Hat and started out on the V of G road about 10 miles east of town. The road is only 16 miles long going over to 261....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The road is ride-able by any bike, but there is a lot less stress on a lighter DS motorcycle.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

This is BLM land so dispersed 'free' camping is allowed out there. Lots of rock fire rings show evidence of over nighters. It's very clean with no trash of any kind.....and lots more natural monuments.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Almost to soon I find myself at Hwy 261 looking at the cliff that hosts the 'Moki Dugway'.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

looking down...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From the top....That building down there is the 'Valley of the Gods B & B'.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Once on top I had to make the 6 mile ride west to Muley Point. Camping here is also possible with all of MV in the background.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's the San Juan River down there. See that little bit of water there on the right?
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Well at a 10 power zoom you can see folks having a ball down there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's John Brown road there below the cliff. I won't get there this trip, but I will someday.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Note the fire ring...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I headed back to Mexican Hat. Along the way I got off the main road to capture the MH rock.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Behind the rock hides the San Juan River as well as that magnificent patterned hillside.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I went back thru Monument Valley toward Kayenta. Note the different colors of the scenery later in the day.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The wind kicked up again on the road from 160 to Many Farms (Many Farms is an Indian Town). There was quite a bit of blowing sand, but it was only 60 miles long.
I was happy to be in the shaded campground of Canyon De Chelle. The large trees provided shelter from the wind. Nip showed up shortly, and we went into the town of Chelle, and enjoyed Burger King's finest for dinner.
Did I mention that it's a free campground.....?

Tomorrow we'd explore the Canyon Rim.......
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Just spectacular Pedro. You didn't happen to capture GPS tracks for this trip, did you?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Why Chelle is pronounced Sha (long a)

Quote:
Just spectacular Pedro. You didn't happen to capture GPS tracks for this trip, did you?
LOL, Ron, I'm not techy enough for that.....but here a Map that should help you some. This brings you to where I am todate at Canyon De Chelle....By the way that's pronounced Sha for Chelle.
Seems like the spanish were trying to pronounce the Indian word, then it got spelled wrong when it went to maps and further interpretations. So there is no rhyme or reason why it's spelled Chelle or pronounced Sha (long a).

View Larger Map

A better map is this link
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 01:21 PM
Old 07-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #30
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

I think I can make that work, thanks Pete!