User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #61
britgsa

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
One more thing I want to add. I rode WY and MT state route 287 from I-80 t0 I-90. Man was this a good ride. The road is somewhat of a main route, but the traffic is not bad at all, the views are incredible, plenty enough turns to keep your attention, and it runs through Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I highly recommend this road if you travel between the two interstates!!!!
Great RR and pics. I am planning the a simular ride from Key West to AK and appreciate these details. Cheers and keep it coming
Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #62
GotDrySocks?
Llego lejos.

Oddometer: 103
Riding US 287

Great report and pics. Keep them coming.

you said:
" I rode WY and MT state route 287 from I-80 t0 I-90. Man was this a good ride. The road is somewhat of a main route, but the traffic is not bad at all, the views are incredible, plenty enough turns to keep your attention, and it runs through Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I highly recommend this road if you travel between the two interstates!!!! "

US 287 starts (or ends) in Port Arthur, Tex on the Gulf of Mex and Choteau, MT on the other end about 100 mi S. of Canada. July 09 I rode the whole thing on the way to Calgary AB. Didn't get a medal or anything, but as you said, there's lots of great country to be seen on 287.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #63
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
In, great report
Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #64
ditzyblonde
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks Andy and Angie for all the work you are doing to post the pics and keeping us up to date on locationIt has been great to track where you are and to see the beautiful sites you are seeing...its the first thing I do every time I come to the computer...WHERE'S ANDY???? What a wonderful thing to accomplish...like someone else said you will have memories and stories you will carry for YEARS. I can picture the grandkids children coming to FL and you sitting on the beach sipping a key lime margarita and reliving your story for them. Stay safe and keep posting!!!
ditzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #65
ArtChicaOTB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
About last night....

Andy made it into Canada last night and stayed at what looks like from the Spotwalla a campground just off Bow Lake and the Icefields Parkway (Canadian road # 93).

If Andy was able to upload any photos to SmugMug last night, I cannot tell from the browser I'm currently using. In any case, we agreed to using emails and Spotwalla while he is in Canada.

Andy - I love you! Hope you can upload more photos here soon! Also - I took Padi to Lynn and she enjoyed seeing your ride report last night at the Mut.

To SemperGumby: see why I can hold my end of the deal? Modern technology is scary and wonderful.

To DitzyBlonde: WHERE'S ANDY: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...14e0bd37e15fe9

To MrKiwi and GotDrySocks? : Thanks for finding Sandy Beaches!

Andy is rolling along this morning, moving north to Alaska! Just got the update to the Spot.

Over and out!

Sometimes, it's more fun to be On The Back and On The Beach!
ArtChicaOTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #66
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Man I really hate lam internet connections!! Couldnt even get smugmug to upload one at a time!! Oh well

Made it to Chattanooga a little after 7pm or so. 14 hours and 818 miles, not a bad days ride if I do say so myself. After I checked into the hotel I took a quick trip up to the top of Lookout Mountain. Was nice to ride some twistys again!! Came back, showered and headed out in search of food. Desk clerk recommended a local place just down the street. Turns out to be a great place, especially since they had karaoke also!!! Had some good food at the Fireside Grill, I think I am still technically in Chattanooga, but the place is on Browns Ferry road, exit 174 off I-24, on the right heading towards the access to Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls. Nice staff and good food!!

Off to bed now, early start to head to Clinton, IL for the night and a surprise visit to someone very special.........hehe!!
818 miles in a day - that's impressive. The GSA eats those miles up. Really enjoying the way you two are writing this up for us inmates...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #67
cptngym
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I am watching your ride everyday Andy. Looks like your having a great ride based on the ride report. Would have been super to do this together if the conditions and equipment were right. Be safe, talk to Jim when your lonely. He is right there with you all the way.
cptngym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #68
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtChicaOTB View Post
Andy made it into Canada last night and stayed at what looks like from the Spotwalla a campground just off Bow Lake and the Icefields Parkway (Canadian road # 93).
Andy, great first five days, or is it six????? One tends to lose track of time when on the road. Forget wearing the watch, ditch it in a saddlebag. We don't need no sticking watch, go with the sun. Sun's up, you ride, Sun's down, you camp.

Photographers say the two best times of the day to take great photos are the "golden hours", the first hour as the sun rises, and the last hour as the sun sets.

Bet your Dad is getting kick out of this ride, as you are. Thanks for showing the bandana in your photos, means a lot.

Ride safe and long
CCjon

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #69
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
I am in Houston BC tonight. I have internet, but not good enough connection to up load pics. I will make Hyder AK by early afternoon tomorrow!! Shut the phone off as I crossed into Canada yesterday around 1 or 2 pm. I was going to cross at the Eastport access on 95, but when I rounded the corner the line was over half way back up the hill. I talked with the truck driver in front of me and we discussed going across at Port Hill on SR 2. It was going to be like 30 miles to get then a fun ride across and back to 95. I figured even if it took the same amount of time or a little longer it beat sitting there roasting waiting for the line to move. The decision was sealed when the trucker said he had no idea how long it would, he had never been backed up this far before. I guess the crossing is under construction and their facilities are all messed up, so if you are following my route up, take 2 into Canada.

Anyway I got into Canada and cut back to the east at Creston. It was a fun ride back to 95 and only took me about an hour or so to make the loop. Headed up Radium Hot Springs and got on the Kootenay Parkway (I think thats what they called) which is 93 and went over to CA1 and headed north. Stopped at Lake Louise for some pics, thought about staying there, but the area was just way to busy for my liking. I went on north and started up the Ice Fields Parkway. It was like 830 pm and I was a little chilly and hunger, so I stopped at a lodge. Expensive but cool place. Excellent views of Bow Lake, Crowfoot Glacier and Mount Jimmy Simpson.

Got an early start today, but blew it all on playing around along the Ice Fields Parkway, it took me like 5 hours to go 100 miles!! But man did I get some killer pics!! I am glad that I chose to stop!! when I did last night and not miss doing the icefields during the day. Lots of mountains, lots of rivers and lakes, lots of waterfalls and lots of glaciers!! I think I hit Jasper around 1 ish........prettly lame huh, took me all that time to go from 20 miles north of Lake Louise to Jasper!!! It was worth it!! Once I hit 16 heading west at Jasper I started making time!!! Stopped for lunch and gas at Mount Robson, had an awesome view for lunch. Then got back to getting at it, stopped in Prince George for gas and rain gear, then stopped three hours later in Houston for the night!!!

I probably won't get internet good enough to do pictures until I get to the University of AK in Fairbanks. So for now the write ups will have to do!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #70
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,097
Andy, great trip! I'm in atlanta for the next 4 weeks if your coming thru.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #71
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotDrySocks? View Post
Great report and pics. Keep them coming.

you said:
" I rode WY and MT state route 287 from I-80 t0 I-90. Man was this a good ride. The road is somewhat of a main route, but the traffic is not bad at all, the views are incredible, plenty enough turns to keep your attention, and it runs through Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I highly recommend this road if you travel between the two interstates!!!! "

US 287 starts (or ends) in Port Arthur, Tex on the Gulf of Mex and Choteau, MT on the other end about 100 mi S. of Canada. July 09 I rode the whole thing on the way to Calgary AB. Didn't get a medal or anything, but as you said, there's lots of great country to be seen on 287.
Thanks!! and I bet 287 was fun from end to end.....maybe someday I willl try it....but the TAT and OZ are first.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #72
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

CCJon - watch was in the bag the morning I left the house.....but I find wearing it in the evening helps keep track of time since my phone is off and it stays light so late!!

Marty - thanks, I might take you up on that!! Last week of July, probably around Wednesday or Thursday I should be in ATL.

Kiwi - thanks, trying to up date some this morning!!

CPTNGYM - wish you were here also!!!

ANGIE!! thanks for the backup!! miss ya and love ya too!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #73
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

July 5
Well here at the Pleasant Valley Motel in Houston BC (ts actually July 7) I found that at 5 in morning no one else is on the wifi and I can upload pictures!! So a short update for the last couple of days.

The ride out of Missoula was uneventful, got a late start for me, didn't leave to 0830, which kinda got me out of sink for the rest of day and cost me a the end of the day......but nothing bad.

It was pretty much a concentrate on the border morning. Made a run to ID 200 and headed for Sandpoint. At Sandpoint I jumped on 95 and headed for the border at Eastport only to find this::

It was way backed up. Trucker said he had never seen it like this!!! He said the plaza was under construction, the people were working out of metal huts. That was my clue to back track down to ID 2 and go across at Port Hill. This is what I was hoping to see!

Crossed the border with no problems and rolled into Canada. In Creston I hung a left and headed back towards 95. Didn't take very long and it was a nice ride. I would recommend that if you are going into Canada from Idaho that you cross on 2 and then catch BC3 in Creston and then back over to 95 and north.

Just let GiSA stretch her legs and run up to Radium Hot Springs......it was a must stop since I have worked in nuclear power all my adult life, I just had to have this picture.

Went into Banff National Park on 93 heading west to catch up to BC1 and start north!!
Pretty quickly the Canadian Rockies began to fill the windscreen.

The guy that took this picture for me told me that he does a lot of long distance rides on an RT, he said he has like almost 100k miles on the bike. He did an excellent job with this shot!!

Next it was a jump on BC1 and a stop to Lake Louise. I thought about staying here, but just way to many people. It was just after our holiday and Canada Day so the place was swamped. I did park the bike and walk down to the lake for a couple of pics. I really like this one!!

It was getting kinda late so I headed off......remember I got a late start and have been riding a long time. I got off of BC 1 and onto 93, the Ice Fields Parkway. My timing suck here because although it would be a couple hours before dark the sun was fading behind the mountains and I was losing light for good pictures. I really didn't want to run the parkway like that so it was time to stop. I check the Milepost, but since I kinda skipped lunch I was getting hungry, was a little chilly and tired, so the Milepost info didn't sink in. I stopped at Mosquito Creek campground and it was full, I had forgotten where the next one was and then I came up on the Num-ti-jah Lodge. Cool hunting lodge built in the 1920s by a Jimmy Simpson. Pretty famous guide in the area, some much they named Mount Jimmy Simpson which towers above Bow Lake. The place was pricey, but I didn't care at this point. However it was 840 and dinner stopped at 830 and they wouldn't take an order. Then I figured out I was on the 3rd floor and then the next morning breakfast was suppose to be at 0630 and they just decided to make it 0730, was not a happy camper. Anyway I just finished loading up and left. It was a cool place, but the service sucked, not sure I would go back.

But on the positive side there was some really cool views around the property
Mount Jimmy Spencer

Looking up at Crowfoot Glacier

Well thats it for July 5 for now.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #74
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

July 6
Heading north for the ice fields this morning. It was a bit brisk out, like 36 degrees, GiSA was having a fit getting going, she did not want to start, I think she was mad at me for leaving her out in the cold weather!!

Sun is coming up!!

Shadow rider is here!!

and we have a glacier!! YAY This is why I spent the night, just do to this road during the day, it was a wise decision!!
[IMG]httphttp://flarider1.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/July-6-AK-2011/i-whdHHcz/0/M/P7060895-M.jpg://[/IMG]

every turn has a different spectacular view!!!

and waterfalls all over the place!

This is looking back from where I just was, up the hill and past what they call the Big Bend, now that was a fun turn to open up GiSA on!!

She is all happy now that I have warmed her up nicely!!

FLARider1 screwed with this post 07-10-2011 at 10:54 AM
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #75
FLARider1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok so now this sucks........I just figured out that changing the S to M when I use the picture insert icon on advrider is not changing the pic size like it use to!! Have to view in the size you want and then copy location..........ugh....well I will fix that some other time on the other pics.......Angie, would you be a dear? and go back and redo all the pics and make them bigger......hehe!!