Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
veloce OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
With the Triumph 800xc out would you still buy an F800gs?

I like the looks of the F800gs, but the tiger is:

Cheaper (by atleast 2000)
Better saddle
Excel rims
more reliable possibly?
The finish seems better, and welds smoother, but I don't know if it's actually built better.

I'm a BMW fanboy, but I don't want a bike that is going to break on me especially if it costs more.

I have read some comparisons, but they are mostly speculation.
veloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Surfdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
800xc vs 800gs

I just got my first look at the 800xc... Nice !

I'm thinking Tiger 800xc will be for me. Truimph has been building that engine for a few years. But, I will wait to see about reliability. F800gs has too many problems for liking.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,138
I would buy the F800GS again because it fits my long body much better and I wanted the more offroad oriented bike. The XC just does not fit me off road. As a mostly on-road bike it would probably have been the better choice for me but that's not what I wanted.

Only you can answer the question what works for you. Ride them both, think about what you expect from the bike and then buy what suits you best.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
I couldn't get a test ride on the Triumph XC, so I bought the GS. If the dealer had let me ride it, I may have purchased it.
CaliKarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
didn't know the triumph had excel rims....they must be reading advrider....damn....
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
MarcusWelds
transplant

Oddometer: 42
Triumph is roughly 20lbs heavier.
Triumph has 9 more HP, but 4lb ft less of torque.
Triumph has a 550watt alternator.
Triumph has a 19 liter tank.
Triumph has a factory rack on the back.

BMW has more torque, its lighter, and strictly from youtube videos, it seems the BMW is more nimble and agile offroad.

I am debating this quandry myself. From reading thr F800GS problems thread, it seems that most of the problems (major) have been in the first model year. (2009) I am looking at buying a new bike, and the F800GS, and 800XC are close competitors. I am debating which one would suit my riding better. My last bike was an R1, and before than an FZ6. I am wanting a more adventure oriented bike. The triumph has its ups, but also its downs. The motor is called "completely new and redesigned long stroke version", so its a first model year in all aspects, I am slightly concerned over this

Now on the $2000 price difference. I see an $11,445 MSRP on the BMW, Though i have not checked if this includes the "standard Package" at an additional $1,445. Can you order the F800GS without ABS? there is $1891 if that is required on the purchase.

The Triumph is $10,999 MSRP

I have not ridden either

MarcusWelds screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 09:05 PM Reason: nunya
MarcusWelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 752
Middle of nowhere ...parts and service? Extensive network of BMW riders willing to help each other out. Something to factor in a decision.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 742
I debated this very thing.. and chose a F800GS...BMW has sorted out most of the problems now.

Maybe in a year I'd risk the Tiger.

But the BMW coolaid is so yummy!!

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
MarcusWelds
transplant

Oddometer: 42
The dealer/parts network is great... But i would love to not worry about it

I am looking at a new model year bmw, as it does seem they have sorted out most of their problems.
MarcusWelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
No. I would not. The Tiger 800 XC is:

-25 lbs heavier wet
-Has lower ground clearance, making certain parts (header in particular) seem very vulnerable
-A tad less suspension travel
-Has a much higher center of gravity due to the tank being in the normal up front, up high tank position (big negative in my book)
-Has a bigger tank, but reports say fuel consumption is higher, so range is equal between the two
-Rear shock linkage seems very low and vulnerable

The F800GS is:

-Lighter
-Has higher ground clearance
-A tad more suspension travel
-MUCH lower center of gravity due to tank being under the seat and down low
-Even though the tank is .8 gallons smaller, it still has a range of up to 200+ miles
-Has no vulnerable rear suspension linkage

PS in all the photos I've seen the rims are not Excel.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I was at the local RAT meeting last night. Bob and Denise were there. They own six or eight bikes between the two of them, and Denise just took delivery on a Tiger 800. She told me she loves the bike, but it recently stalled 20 times during a short ride.

Naturally, the dealer disavowed any knowledge of this problem, but Denise says it's well known on the internet forums. She says the fix is to fit an $800 Arrow pipe and have the bike remapped accordingly. Not wanting to spend the money to fix her brand-new bike, Denise had it remapped without the pipe, which solved the stalling problem, but now the bike runs like shit.

I had similar problems on both my 2000 Sprint ST, long since sold, and my 2001 Sprint RS, which I love and ride often. After I had the RS's front and rear suspension upgraded, the bike stalled 17 times on the 20-mile ride home. Basically, whenever I slowed for a stop, the bike would stall. The dealer was unable to diagnose the problem and eventually re-flashed the ECM. This solved the stalling problem, but now the bike is either on high idle whenever it's in neutral, or it will flip-flop and idle normally in neutral but high in every other gear. I have learned to live with this, as it's more of a nuisance than a real problem.

I love my Sprint RS. It was cheap as hell to buy used, and with cartridge emulators, fresh Q2s and an Ohlins shock, it's super comfy and handles beautifully. But I would never--NEVER--buy a new Triumph. Not only is the resale value deplorable, but the bikes are buggy and the dealers are clueless. Just my $.02.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Not even a close call. I'd buy my F8GS again in a heart beat. Go ride both & then make up you're mind.

3 yr 36k mile warranty. I like that.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 62
True the weight, the attitude, the range... moreover, the XC power delivery seems not to be that effective: despite to the higher peak power is slower (only "cruise" gearbox setting?) and lazy low down.
Talking about the rear linkage, is exposed - yes - but gives a better bottoming resistance (the [quite bad] GS SACHS is a PDS-like shock, while the upgrades from WP, Ohlins and so on, aren't), so 15-15.

but, well... The GS is a great base, more expensive - but does requires some modifications, especially at suspension department (competence + time + more money).
So, if you want & are able to deliver these three magic pearls, go for GS - otherwise Tiger is overall better just out-of-the-shop.
For the average rider them both are able to do the job, anyway; all the rest is matter of tastes and expectations: we can talk for years about what's better
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
mow0709
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
F800GS no question

I've had mine for 2 yrs and nearing 27K with no major issues short of a couple recalls, no big. The bike has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it with flying colors. Offroad you can't beat it if your looking for a bike that has a bias for dirt and can still handle a daily commute there isn't much to complain about.

Beemers Uber Alles!!
mow0709 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,428
GS again in a second. it's not perfect, but it's closer than the xc which is bigger in all the wrong places + the unfortunate rear suspension arrangement