Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #226
tug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Wow, what a great ride. Alaska is certainly on my to do list.
I am in the market for a ADV-BIKE and am very interested in your over all and detailed opinion about the Tigers.
Also you stated that the extra two gallons of fuel would give you an addition range of 170 km/106 miles is that correct. That would be 53 mpg. Earlier it was 38 mpg. Do you have a feel for what your mpg/kpl has been so far. This is also going to factor in to my decision.

Any updates on the noise the bikes are making?

I hope the rest of your adventure is as great or better from here on out. Be safe.
Enjoying the ride reports.

Tug
tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #227
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,299
The gas mileage all depends on speed and wind. On the Robert Campbell we kept the bikes in and around 75 - 90KM/hr. We got better mileage for sure when riding below 100 with no head winds. Add head winds, highway riding and over 120 KM/hr....the mileage drops significantly.

I promise to write a detail review of the bikes and our Heidenau tires after we ride the Dempster and Top of the World. So, hang in there it will be coming up soon....but as I have alluded previously, these bikes ROCK. Still trying to figure out the noise issue. Not as bad since the suspension adjustment but still there but the bikes do not seem to be affected.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #228
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Dawson City 568KM Day 8

July 6th 2011

I know we talk about the temperature a lot especially in the morning but here is another comment as to what the temperature was when we got up in Ross River. Brrrrrrrrr!!

Cheryl has 3 pairs of socks on, her Gerbring jacket wrapped around her calves and feet, numerous layers on and of course her dew rag on her head. She said she was warmer. Maybe I need to learn something about using all my socks and clothes in temps like this to sleep more than a few hours.

I got up around 0530 and took a little hike down to the river before any of the campers at the river sites were up. So quiet except the great sound of rushing water.

I’ve got a thing for skies and cloud pictures especially in the morning hours. Something so peaceful about the skies we have been seeing when it is not raining.

My attempt to get artsy with a picture. I would never claim to be a photographer.

We got camp packed up really early today for the long ride to Dawson City. First stop was Faro for a quick bite to eat. More dirt roads and some nice views on the route. The dirt was damp from the rain we got over night so no dust for Cheryl.

More metal bridges which are now just a common crossing for our bikes

We were greeted in Faro by this 65 Tonne truck at the entrance of the town. Wish the WIFI was better to just post short videos of things we are seeing. Maybe when we get to Fairbanks we can upload some videos. Here is the BIG truck and Cheryl just loved playing around in it in all her gear. She is such a kid sometimes but in a good way.

The official welcome sign to Faro

After playing around in the humungous truck, we headed down into the “town” of Faro and found the one and only restaurant so we could have breakfast.

As we were parking our bikes, we noticed this mangy pooch wandering around. It seems to be a common thing up here to let your dogs just roam around. This little guy looked like he could use a bath and a haircut!

Our waitress Morgan was a friendly sort and seemed interested in our adventure and agreed to have her photo taken.

Breakfast was delicious!

We filled up our bellies, but we couldn’t fill up our gas tanks as the town gas station had run out of gas! We still had over half a tank though and we set off for Carmacks.

General Store and gas station in Carmacks

Views and more views from the Klondike Highway

This is at Five Finger Rapids

Seems like a lot of pictures of the two of us….cool we say! We love our Gorilla Tripod!
Met a cool little dog named Jack from Kamloops. A young couple just touring around for a week.

Once again as we ride north to Dawson we begin to see less and less of sun and blue sky. Seems like a daily occurrence, blue sky to this

By now we are not really too upset if it were to rain. The bikes and our gear needs a washing from the Robert Campbell and we did indeed get wet heading all the way up to Dawson City. A shot of some pretty road side flowers.

We both had to stop at the obligatory picture at the welcome sign for Dawson City. All along the road into town there are huge mounds of road mulch. We are certain this is used not only on the Dempster but all roads around here. There are so many of them.

this is one way we take together pics without having to rely on others.

Dinner at Sourdough Joe’s we had great sandwiches and pea soup. That ended our day and tomorrow we will spend some time doing laundry, trying to lube the chains, get the bikes hosed down, and take a steamboat trip down the Yukon.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #229
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
NOTHING LIKE IT!

A friend and I did the same trip in 06. Had the time of our lives!

Take your time.....head down the less used roads for a bit. It all goes by way too fast!

www.motoalaska.blogspot.com

THANKS!
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #230
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,357
Thanks for the read ladies. Pouring over your thread whilst eating breakfast on a cold morning here in Oz warms me up for the trip to work. Keep it up, and I hope you work out the noise issue!!

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #231
Bazi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wow, still great to read your adventure.
greetings from Germany
Juergen.

Don,t clean the tigers...they looks great now

Bazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #232
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Great ride so far. It can't be too bad, even when you are wet, since you're together, away from work and away from civilization at times. Sounds like heaven! Keep riding safe and keep us along with you. Great pics of beautiful country. If I had the money for a bucket list, Alaska would be on it.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #233
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
New Tiger

I couldnt stand it any longer Cheryl & Leslie I bought myself a black 2012 800 XC Tiger today. What a machine, I am really enjoying your ride report and pictures. Ride Safe.

dogmoon screwed with this post 07-07-2011 at 07:14 PM
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #234
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Spot

Not sure if anyone is checking out our SPOT page but we have and this is so cool to see the detailed track.....going on a Steam Boat, I meant Paddle BOAT cruise tonight for dinner on the Yukon River.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #235
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
I couldnt stand it longer Cheryl & Leslie I bought myself a black 2012 800 XC Tiger today. What a machine, I am really enjoying your ride report and pictures. Ride Safe.
Congrats...you bought a REALLY great bike!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #236
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Fantastic report!

Hey Ladies,
It's been great reading (and seeing) your adventure. You'll be hard pressed to top this one.
Could a long time backpacker/camper offer you a few tips?
I've learned a few things (some the hard way) backpacking on the Appalachian trail for a bunch of years.
When it's going to be cold that night (I've tent camped in the snow at -10F):
1. Do some jumping jacks or some other excercise (brisk walk, run in place) for a moment before you climb into your sleeping bags. Your heart rate will increase and your body will start to get warmer. This extra warmth will help fill your sleeping bag. Drinking something hot also helps if you are excercise-phobic.
2. Wrap a towel, sweater, etc. around your feet. Keep your feet warm and you will be warm. However, don't place anything over your bag in the foot area. The moisture from your body heat will migrate through the sleeping bag and may condense under this item and your outer bag may be damp in the a.m.
3. Heat some water and put it in a water bottle or hydration bladder. Seal it good and take it into your bag with you.
I use this one all the time and put it by my feet.
4. If you have to "go" in the middle of the night....do so. It sucks but, go ahead and get it over with. Your body will warm that excess fluid and storing it takes body heat away from the rest of you.

Wishing you both a safe, warm, and awesome adventure!

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #237
Nan-Lo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Subscribed!

Great adventure ladies! Love the choice of motorcycle!

Photobucket:
http://tinyurl.com/9cnj36
Nan-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #238
WillDieSoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
The bikes look awesome up close (we are parked next to you... 2 KTMs and VStrom).

Looking forward to your review of the bikes and the rest of your RR.

Have a safe ride on the Dempster the next few days.
WillDieSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #239
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

WillDieSoon

not sure we like your name but in any case if you get the post, we are heading down to the Downtown Hotel now so Cheryl can do a Sour Toe drink! YUCK! It is 9:14 PM...maybe see you there? We see your bikes...NICE!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #240
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 391
Lookin great ladies!

Seems good things to be said about the XC's. Might have to sell the strom and look for that as the next bike. Thanks to you I have a set of K60's waiting to be mounted too. Can't wait to try them out.

Keep the pics/vids coming and have fun!
Blog > http://tinyurl.com/lnqkh4j
SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote