Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Out West: California to Utah and back

I thought I'd share some pictures and do a mini ride report for my 5 day trip to Utah and back. My brother lives in Tooele, a short hop west of Salt Lake City, off I-80. I try to make a motorcycle ride at least once a year to visit he and his family. This week happened to work for both of us. I set out at about 6PM on Monday from my home at Ft. Ord, California. Midway through July, and we are finally getting some decent summer weather.

As a brief warning, I recently got a new digital camera and tripod, so some of these shots will be a little artsy, as I'm still trying to get used to the settings (besides which I'm a complete novice at photography).

Rolling hills near the San Luis Reservoir, between Hollister and the San Joaquin Valley:

My bike is a 2011 BMW R1200R. I love it!

I took the 5 north to Sacramento, and then headed east on I-80. As is common for the evening hours, the trip north on I-5 had super strong crosswinds. Two things I'll definitely be adding to my bike are a throttle lock and a slightly taller windshield. I rode as far as Lovelock, Nevada, the first evening, and got there at about 2AM. Distance for the evening ride was 407 miles.

In Lovelock I couldn't find an actual campground so I pulled into a large, empty gravel lot on the north side of town and pitched my tent next to a tree at the back of the lot. I woke up at shortly before 6AM because the sky was getting brighter and the trucks were passing. I was on the road by 6:30. My camp in Lovelock:

Between Lovelock and Winnemucca I saw a big dust cloud on the side of the highway. As I got closer I realized it was a herd of cattle. I saw a real life cowboy working the herd, but by the time I could pull over and grab the camera he was riding away:

Eastbound near Mill City, Nevada:

The same spot, looking west:

Filling up on the state line in Wendover, NV/ UT:

No matter how many times I ride on I-80 to Utah I just can't help but stop at Bonneville:

I arrived in Tooele at about 2 in the afternoon. The Great Salt Lake right outside Tooele:

Pictures from Day 3 are coming...

Jedi5150 screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 05:32 PM
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote