Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
redneckdan OP
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 555
Fly Rods, Kids and a KLR

11 years ago it was July of 2000 and I was 15 years old. I applied for and was selected to attend a 1 week long youth trout fishing camp organized by the Kalamazoo Valley chapter of Trout Unlimited. At that time I had been fishing for 10 years and dabbling with fly fishing for over 5 years. The camp turned out to be not as advanced as I expected but it was a blast none the less.

Fast forward about 11 years and I am working as a member of a mountain bike trail building crew when I fall at work and injure my left knee. This happened in early May and fate being the fickle bitch that she is I didn't get a definitive diagnoses, nor pain meds til the end of June. Turns out I trashed two ligaments and the meniscus. That right, I sat on the couch for 2 months with a train wreck in my knee just gritting my teeth and not being able to sleep at night....guess you could say I kind of fell through the cracks in the medical care 'system'.

In mid-May while going through some of my old stuff I found a box containing my bug collection from that fondly spent summer of 2000. On a whim I look up KVTU's website and see that the camp is in fact still occurring and is scheduled for the second week of July this year. I shoot off a couple emails and pretty soon I am signed up as a counselor....in hopes that my knee injury is only minor and I can make it to the camp.

Weeks fly by. I get my diagnosis and some pain meds but never take them because I have gotten this far without them. The pain is excruciating at times but tolerable at others. The workers comp insurance company wants to try PT before agreeing to orthoscopic surgery. A good friend of mine is in charge of the PT department at the hospital and after reviewing my file admits there is not much he can do. He tries some joint manipulation techniques that help move the floating pieces away from the tender bits.

Pretty soon it is the week before the trout camp and I asked my PT friend if I can go. He says to take it easy but he said it should be do able. He reminds me to take breaks while driving to prevent the joint from stiffening up too much.....I don't bother telling him that I am not driving....I am taking my 2007 KLR 650....

Here she is in all her glory. Prepped for a trip involving a retired redleg and torrential rains.....but that is another story....

redneckdan screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 04:16 PM
redneckdan is offline   Reply With Quote