Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
North up the CDR, G650 Xchallenge and DRZ 400

This past winter I decided this year I would take a trip up the CDR, my goal, the Canadian border or as close as I can get, and go to the rally in CO, and be home in about two weeks. A tight schedule, I know.

The hard part is getting someone to go. I like to do long days, long trips, camp, all that stuff. My friends generally like short rides, and their beds. My track friends, no way, lunch in Tucson is a long ride to them.

Lightfighter, my friend and fellow inmate here has previous plans, bummer, the one guy who likes long rides, bad planning, don’t mind falling down, and has a positive attitude no matter how crappy it gets. I will see him in CO, but he has work duties that prevent him from going on this ride.

Trying to get a buddy to go one day at work I casually mention the ride to my friend Kevin. For a little background, he is a rock climber, he is tough (not a pussy), has a dual sport bike (key requirement), and can hang on a long trip, hopefully. He is one of the only two people who have agreed to do my 500 mile lunch ride up to Alpine and back, Lightfighter is the other.

Much to my surprise he thought it would be a good idea. Two weeks and a few thousand miles on his DRZ 400, yeah, this is a good idea.

So the plan, leave Sierra Vista on 17 July for Antelope Wells NM, snap a pic of the Mexican border, and start heading north. The goal is the Canadian border, but I want to be back down to Paonia CO on 28 July for the Top O’ the Rockies Rally to meet my brother and nephew, then back home and at work on 2 Aug. Lots of time, no problem, right? Did I mention we are going to try to avoid pavement as much as possible?

I need to say thanks to BigDogAdventure and Cannonshot, and others I am sure for putting together the GPS tracks of the CDR. We are using these tracks as a rough guide, but not following them step by step.

So you know who you are dealing with, here is a shot of Kevin.

And this is me.

The bike is black now with lots of mods, will cover that.

More to come.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 02:22 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote