Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
TK-LA OP
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
The Great Northwest; Washington, Vancouver Island and British Columbia

Ben and I have been doing day rides and short one or two night trips since I moved out to Southern California from Boston. 12 months of riding is fantastic. I initially purchased a Suzuki GS500f because the price of a new one was in our budget and the gas mileage was good. Whenever you read about it people call it a "Great starter bike"...well, it's gotten me 30,000miles and all over the west, it can easily tackle highways and cities and, for me at least, it sits comfortably.
Here it is on a trip to Kernville, CA

After trips to Kernville, (recommended, but not in summer) and Death Valley, (recommended, but not in summer) we got an itch for a bigger, more ambitious trip. Ben has family in Washington State, Vancouver Island, Bella Coola, BC and a brother vacationing in Vernon, BC so the route was obvious.

Here's a rough estimate of our planned route: approx 2100 miles.

We planned and talked and planned and on July 3rd we busted ass to get from LA to our hopping off point in Vancouver WA, a nice little burb north of Portland OR. The ride up the 5 freeway BLOWS so we left at 2:00am and we trailered the bikes and took turns driving so we could get there ASAP.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a HUGE anti-trailer guy too but seriously, the 5 SUCKS through California. One quirk the trailer we rented had, the spare was mounted underneath so it had, literally, less than an inch clearance. This proved interesting when I drove over some roadkill.

The scenery got a bit more interesting as we passed

Mt. Shasta

And passed by Weed

The 51st State, Jefferson

And finally into Portland and...

...Washington

We stayed with Ben's parents that night who had earlier welcomed Jeff who had flown in from Toronto. Jeff works for CTV and rented a bike from a local area dealer. Mom and Dad greeted us with beer and a steak dinner. Not a bad end to Day 0 - Travel to WA.

Day one, July 4th 2011, consisted of getting to Victoria, BC. Our ferry was schedule for 5:15pm so we had some time to explore the Olympic peninsula. Washington is a gorgeous place.

Ben and Jeff load up

More to come when I get the pix from Ben and Jeff!
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.

TK-LA screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 07:59 AM
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote