Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #571
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
jeez the frequently asked question is how to put it back in....
Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #572
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Heat certainly won't hurt - I'd go to just spit-sizzle hot but not much more. (I can't spit accurately so I flick water drops from my finger or small drops from a baby nose syringe).
Thanks Zebedee & mark1305...

It had been red Loc tite'd in the bad head, so I put it in toaster oven at 300F, then used the 2 bolt trick. The stud came out no problem.

Now I'm waiting for the Loc Tite to set up in the new head, so I can reinstall & proceed towards a running bike..

I appreciate your input!
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #573
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,934
Glad you got it. Red Loctite can be a real PITA. I've read somewhere that 500F is needed to break it loose. Good to know that a little less can get the job done.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #574
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Glad you got it. Red Loctite can be a real PITA. I've read somewhere that 500F is needed to break it loose. Good to know that a little less can get the job done.
I forgot to mention I'd shot it with PB Blaster several times in the last 48 hours. I've had really good luck with the PB.

The toaster oven is a handy item to have in the garage. While I was heating up the bad head to remove the stud, I doused the replacement (used) head w/ gasket remover + scraped off the old, stubborn valve cover gasket. I rinsed it off with the garden hose and put it back in the oven for 30 mins to dry it completely.

One oversight if I had to do it over. I would've had some cheddar cheese and a a loaf of a bread. I wasted time leaving the garage to feed myself lunch! Guess my next garage upgrade will be a mini-fridge..

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #575
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post

Guess my next garage upgrade will be a mini-fridge..
Glad you get it sorted, but a mini fridge wouldn't cut it in my garage ...

John
Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #576
rkjjeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
12v power later airheads

I was trying to find easy 12v power source on my 95 PD - didn't want to cut, splice, use scotch lock, etc. If your bike has the pigtail tucked up by the coil for clock you'll find a ground, an unswitched 12v and a switched 12v. I chose the switched 12v as i am running xm radio. I went to ground at the ignition module top bolt with a simple ring terminal.

The easy way to hook up to the connector if you don't have the connector half from a clock is to strip about 1/4 " insulation off your hot wire from your accessory, and then "tin" it with solder (so now you have a wire coated with solder). file it carefully so it's the perfect diameter to plug into the female - only took about a minute. Very secure and cover with tape. All easy to remove and no damage to original bits.

I will post pics of my XM radio install on a separate thread tonight.
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #577
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,293
Question Monoshock Airhead exhaust inquiry....

I'm looking to shed the exhaust collector box on my 88 RS mono shock. The stock tail pipes and exhaust headers are fine and want to keep them. I haven't found any aftermarket full systems that aren't 2 into 1 (which I don't want).

So wondering if it's possible to get just 2 pipes, (even cheap flex to just try it out before going fabrication route) and go straight to the cans. This would mean there is no crossover after the one at the headers anymore. Anyone ever do this?

The collector can is in a state of rusting but the rest of the system is fine.

TIA

PS - Would a straight system from a twin shock (older RS) work? I know mine's 38mm exhaust port which is same as older RS...... (?)
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #578
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
The origonal reason for the crossovers, or pre mufflers, was to enable more restrictive, read quieter, silencers to me fitted without loosing power, but over the years they have grown to be credited with supernatural powers, so expect the " experts " to chime in and tell you that you will create all sorts of problems with your engine.

Main problem will be that it will be a little noisier, and if you put on a dyno it may even be possible to measure a small loss in power, but probably only over 6000 RPM. But you still have the front pipe which should help.

Whether you would notice the difference on the road is another question - my GS runs better without the rear box, but I have a freer flowing Staintune can , I have heard that they struggle with stock , and no front balance pipe.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #579
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
These work well

Part No.88593
"H" PIECE REPLACES COLLECTOR BOX. STAINLESS. ALL R80 / R100 MODELS 1985 ONWARDS. ( NOT PARALEVER MODELS )

Motorworks or motobins
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #580
outfit
Studly Adventurer

These work well

Part No.88593
"H" PIECE REPLACES COLLECTOR BOX. STAINLESS. ALL R80 / R100 MODELS 1985 ONWARDS. ( NOT PARALEVER MODELS )

Motorworks or motobins
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #581
outfit
Studly Adventurer

These work well

Part No.88593

Motorworks or motobins
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #582
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfit View Post

Part No.88593

Motorworks or motobins

Awesome, thanks very much
Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #583
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Stainless oil lines?

I want to replace my 2 oil cooler lines (rubber) on my R 100RS, mainly because the connections are rusted, corroded, especially at the oil filter cover.

Does anyone know a place that makes em in flexi stainless steel to fit/custom, or a source that sells them pre made in sizes that fit metric/BMW connections?

I guess I could try making myself but I think there's a crimper I don't have for that job, etc.

Any advice welcome.
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #584
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,923
Quote:
at work and home, i've had better luck with the blue or purple (which is for small fasteners). we only use the red on things that absolutely, positively should never come apart.

the purple loctite does work well on larger fasteners if they are cleaned and torqued properly, plus you can break them free when you have to.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #585
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I want to replace my 2 oil cooler lines (rubber) on my R 100RS, mainly because the connections are rusted, corroded, especially at the oil filter cover.

Does anyone know a place that makes em in flexi stainless steel to fit/custom, or a source that sells them pre made in sizes that fit metric/BMW connections?

I guess I could try making myself but I think there's a crimper I don't have for that job, etc.

Any advice welcome.
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote