User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
towie247 OP
Knees in the breeze

Oddometer: 43
Sunshine Coast Queensland day-ride.

About a month ago I picked up my first bike, a new old-stock '09 KLR. Hadn't even had it's first service and it was dropped in to the guys at MPE for some appropriate suspension upgrades with 410km on it - I'm a fat bastard

Went for a few rides over the course of my 4-day weekend, finishing with about 1700km on the odo and did my own oil change in the meantime til it goes in for the official first service. Here are some pics and words of Sundays ride on the 10th.

Was going to be myself and Joe Watson on his WR250, and another mate on his new DRZ400, but Joe called in soft, I mean sick, and couldn't make it. This is the route I had in mind

Up at 6am to a gorgeous day ahead, 4 in a row! Perfect end to a weekend on the bike. Went and got the bike, rode around to my mates place and chatted a bit before heading off for fuel and check tyres etc. Up Tinbeerwah hill, and onto a side-track to cut across to McKinnon Drive. This was a little tricky and I wouldn't have liked to come back up there with my noobness, but got down fine with a little assistance on the trickier bits. Slabbed it a bit and stopped for a couple of quick photos on Ringtail Creek Rd

Shortly after this pic, my number plate snapped off at the corners. I had already lost the rego label the previous day and ordered a replacement over the internet.

Clinton astride his brand new DRZ - ~100km on it.

Me on the KLR.

From there we continued up Ringtail Creek Rd into Forest Acres (the B on the map), along Lake McDonald Drive to Elm Street, up through Cudgerie Estate and down Pioneer Road before turning right into Pomona then left to go up Jampot Creek Rd, into Schreibers and Sankeys Road where we had a quick chat and a photo

North up the closed section of the Bruce Highway past the old Federal School and across into Middle Creek Road and Andersons Road where I stopped for this quick pic

before heading down Black Mountain into Cooroy for breakfast at a friends cafe - Jamaica Blue.

We doubled back a bit and turned into Lawnville Rd and Cooroy-Belli Creek road for some twisties fun - encountered a bunch of sports bikes coming the other way. And then onto Happy Jack Creek road for some more basic dirt roads. This was to be the theme for most of the trip up to Mapleton where we stopped to give the DRZ a bit of a drink, and get some water for ourselves.

The start of Buckby Road up to the lookout on Mount Glorious (the C on the map).

Awesome views up there. I had been past the turnoff to it one night in the truck having picked up a rollover along the way, but never got back.
Mapleton Forest Road

The majority of the rest of the day was on twisty tarmac, except for a bit between Image Flat and Kiamba roads, and Browns Creek Rd, which looks like it goes through, but doesn't (D on the map). Had a detour off there to try and sneak across the powerlines, but turned back having decided it was well beyond our capabilities. Had a bit of fun though.

Most of these roads I've done on car days, but I tell you what they're a lot more fun on two wheels, and throw in the added adventure of getting off the tar and it's the most motorised fun I've had in a long time!

Except for maybe that one time, on a dewy golf course with a couple of buggies

See you on the trails!

Justin.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707631
towie247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Great RR

great post. love the view
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer: 235
Top stuff! Those roads are all around my house & work, so loved reading. See you out there sometime hey
Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Like the report.

Mate, please buy some boots.

It's the cruisy day rides that catch you out.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Sleepy John screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 03:42 PM
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb

nice pics mate..

as S.J said, invest in a set of boots brother. might end up with no tows..

see ya out there sometime..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
towie247 OP
Knees in the breeze

Oddometer: 43
I picked up a pair of O'Neal Clutch boots, just gotta adjust the shifter up and the brake down a bit now.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707631
towie247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Yeah, admitted, I sooked out of this one!

Love the signature too Justin!!
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote