Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #106
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 711
The Peoples team!!!

Subcribed
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #107
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank wheelbarrow View Post
The Peoples team!!!

I like that.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #108
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,838
Best of luck to you Ned.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #109
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
... all you need is a ticket.
That's a hell of an offer- Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
My advice, fwiw
Darn good advice it is, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank wheelbarrow View Post
The Peoples team!!!
Perfect! We've been laughing about calling supporters the Coucho Gauchos, but I like the people's team even better. Maybe some Chairman Mao looking graphics?

The name I registered with the ASO is "Advrider / Neduro" (don't have many letters to work with)...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #110
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,776
So, why am I announcing my intention to go to Dakar in July when the race isn't until January? Because I have to. The short story is, I can afford to make the start line with a bare minimum effort (I use the term "afford" loosely here ).

Without making this sound like an NPR fund drive, I need your help to go beyond the bare minimum (and a big thanks to those who have already donated!). In the next few weeks, I have to make a critical decision; whether to have mechanical assistance or not. That decision depends on how fundraising gets started, because while I'm going to dig deep and invest everything I can to be there, I simply can't afford some of the elective costs (that greatly improve the chance of a finish) without your help.

The decision to take a mechanic will have to be made by August 5. The mechanic's entry and truck seat are about $25k (split between entry fee to the ASO, truck costs, and travel). To take a seat in Rally PanAms truck, I need about $15k in commitments by that date (we're at about $3k as of this morning). If we make that number, it will be a huge improvement over what I can afford alone. So, if you're interested and able, please take a look at Neduro.com and see if something fits for you sooner rather than later.

I can't say enough good things about the sponsors that have stepped up to help me. I approached only those companies that I truly believe in the people and the product, and then I made the pitch that by providing discount codes, we could create a win/win situation: they'd help me get support from you all, and you would get products at an amazing price that offset your donation.

OK, enough of that. Today's purchase was tires, can't afford the risk of them being out of stock, so when I got a confirmed source for 9 606 fronts and 9 908 rears at cost, I jumped on it:

It seems early, but in fact it's not so much- A quick review of the timeline involved: The bikes are available for pickup about December 28 in Buenos Aires before a January 1 start, which means they ship from Europe in late November. US competitors are not obliged to ship via France, but it makes sense to do so, as the cost is included in entry and our bikes and gear receive the same attention in customs as everyone else. Shipping to Europe is cheaper than shipping to South America... so that means my stuff has to ship to Europe in October.

I'm a big believer in testing, and that means planning on the chance of failure. So, the tests need to occur with enough time to address whatever lessons I learn and retest. Two cycles of this at a month each (about the quickest you can rely on getting or making specialized parts, etc) means for an October ship date, the first draft of the bike needs to be done in August. It's mid July, and I just bought the bike... so I'm already under the gun. This is just an extension of how the race will be, and at a philosophical level, how life seems to be. There's always more to do than time to do it in, so I don't perceive this pressure as hardship, simply as reality. In fact, it's one of the things I like best, because it brings a focus and a commitment.

Support trucks operate with roughly the same timeline, hence the need for commitment in early August as they try to fill their seats and cargo capacity before making the investment to have the truck where it needs to be.

Last weekend, we got started. Here, Ganshert and GSNorCal look at the first mockup of a fairing:

And here, C.Vestal, Aurel (visiting from France!) and GSNorCal discuss how to best mount the rear tank.

Our progress deserves a proper post all its own, and I'll get that done soon. As it sits today, the bike is in a lot of pieces, waiting for stuff to arrive. I think it will come together and look like a rally bike very quickly, though. It better, because I'm going to bring it to the Wolfman Luggage shop for the grand opening party they are having on July 30.

So, this is the first post of many to sign off with a lot to do, and not a lot of time to do it in (ALTDANALOTTDII- isn't that handy?).

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #111
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Things must be all work, i dont see a single beer in that garage. .
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #112
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Things must be all work, i dont see a single beer in that garage. .
Don't kid yourself, Aurel is drinking straight Vodka!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #113
NCMX1
The Yeti

Oddometer: 75
We are stoked for you NED! Let me know if you need those tanks(s). Just bought me a shirt too!

Ben

NCMX1 screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 09:08 PM
NCMX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #114
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,835
In for the new year's celebrations!
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #115
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Good onya Ned. You deserve the support of the ADV community, as you've contributed so much to it in training, advice and product development. Looking forward to joining the "Ned Head" brigade.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #116
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Neduro,

Let us know if you need an adress or help to ship your gear to a place in Holland, let me know!

We have plenty of Dutch riders/teams heading for France in November :)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #117
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,841
In

(thank Jinx for the in JM!)

Can't believe the countdown clock is starting... best of luck, hope the support helps!
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #118
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,873
In.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #119
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,665
Go Ned!

Let me know if you need any recon work on the ground in BsAs. I'll be here a few more weeks before heading north.

And I expect to return to BsAs in a few months.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #120
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,132
Duuuuuuuuuuuude!

I've only just seen this!

I'm going to have to return the favor and get one of your shirts...

Hope to see you on the start-line Ned!

Yea!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 01:35 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote