Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
3 days, 1409 miles, and a few breweries.

Link to our route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=33..._xQ&mra=ls&z=9

My buddy Dave and I decided to head up to Colorado this past Friday to ride some good roads and drink some good beer. He lives in LA and I live in Tonopah, Az. He road out Thursday night and showed up a little after midnight. We then drank some IPA and Captain until around 2ish. Up at 7am to get ready for the ride to Cortez Colorado. On the way up we decided to go through Monument Valley since it's sort of on the way.

Dave:

We then stopped in Mexican Hat for a cold beer at the lodge right next to the river there. We got a local Salt Lake micro brew with only 4% alcohol. The horror!!! We were then joking about the founding members of that town trying to remember the name of that dang ol' Mexican hat thing(sombrero). What was it called again? Aw heck, we don't remember. Let's just call the town Mexican Hat.

The Mexican Hat rock formation the town is named after:

Coming into Aneth UT we saw a bunch of horses wandering around. They are even in town. Crazy.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.

jon6.0 screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 02:50 PM
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

We got into Cortez to the National 9 Inn. I then noticed this sign for the inn on our way down to the local pub.

We met a few other guys there from Phoenix and we headed out to the Absolute Bakery and Cafe in Mancos, Co. That place is delicious. I had biscuits and gravy and Dave had a huge breakfast burrito. The best biscuits and gravy I've had in years.

When we parked near the cafe I noticed this sign in a salon. We couldn't believe it was a real advertisement.

After breakfast we headed up to Pagosa Springs and noticed a sign for a brewery. Hmm. It was 11 o'clock. Maybe they are open? We got lucky and they were open. Their beer sampler was $8 and we also bought some fried green beans on a locals recommendation. The green beans were delicious. Every beer was very good. I didn't dislike any of them. The stout was my personal favorite.

After our sampler we headed up toward Lake City. On our way up Wolf Creek Pass we came up on a state trooper at slightly more than legal speeds. So we pulled off and stopped for a few minutes. The stater turned around and decided to wait for us to leave. Dave took this time to take a nap.

Me being goofy with the trooper in the background.

Looking back toward Pagosa from Wolf Creek pass.

jon6.0 screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 02:53 PM
Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

After we waited a while the trooper wasn't leaving. So we took off and pulled off on the next turnoff a couple miles up. Sure enough our little buddy was following us. He turned around when he noticed us waiting again and headed down the mountain. I snapped a quick pic at that spot.

We continued on our journey up toward Lake City.

Once in Lake City we had some pizza, which was awesome. We were talking to the locals about going over Engineer Pass to cut across to Ouray. It was already 5pm when we were about to take off again and since Engineer Pass is a dirt road we decided to try that one on another trip where we had more daylight. So we headed to Montrose and then down to Ouray. Montrose was 101 miles from there and we made it there in an hour and fifteen minutes. We were moving. On our way we actually passed a GS with an ADV sticker on their luggage. We finally made to the Ourayle House Brewery about 8pm.

Then we had to make our way from Ouray back to Cortez at dusk/night time. We must have passed 3 dozen deer and luckily none jumped out in front of us. We pretty much kept to the speed limit and slowed down when we saw deer. We finally got back to our room in Cortez after 15 hours on the bikes. A good day of riding!

We woke up Sunday morning and had breakfast at Mr. Happy's just down the street from our motel. They make everything from scratch and it was most excellent. I bought my wife a purple tye dyed t-shirt, so she was happy when I got home.

After breakfast we headed down to Flagstaff to have lunch at the Beaver Street Brewery. They have an excellent selection of beer and their ribeye is among the best I've had. I had their burger for lunch though. Which is also awesome.

From there Dave went west on I-40 back to LA and I went south on I-17 back to Tonopah. Dave ended up doing a little over 2100 miles and I ended up at 1409 miles.

jon6.0 screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 02:57 PM
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

I really hate Photobucket. I created a new album and it broke all the damn links. I had to put new links in. Pain in the ass I tell ya.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
A beer drinker after my own heart. Looks like a fun trip. I plan most of mine around drinking opportunities as well.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

The beer that surprised me the most was the peach wheat at Pagosa. I'm not a big wheat beer fan and this stuff was tasty! The rasberry at Beaver Street also didn't suck. Which was pretty much the same comment Dave made. The wheat beer at Beaver Street tasted like most and we both didn't like it.