User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Roso OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Even a short weekend trip sometimes result in such a unique experience and pleasure which again proves well known fact how quality always comes before quantity.
My sister and brother in law decided to visit us in Fortaleza, Brazil and in order to spice up their Brazilian experience we invented a short motorbike trip to Jericoacoara, a national park 280 km away from Fortaleza.
Fact that my brother in law, Mate, likes bikes and fact that myself and wife own 2 bikes were just fantastic and welcome coincidences.
Old Yamahas, Tenere and Supertenere should be up to the task after mounting off road shoes , namely last 20-25km is unknown road quality. After a bit of googling we knew there were 3 possible ways, via Prea beach following coast line, from another side same way but time framed due to tide changes and last via sand dunes.
Having pillions and heavy bikes and not having a bunch of sand riding experience we choose the first option. There we go.

Roso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Topped up fuel on the way out should be good enough for today, afternoon departure will push us to stop shortly before early dusk. Mate and Jelena got a Supertenere, comfortable and soft, but heavy and off road limited. Opened and paved road makes me a bit envy

Roso screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 09:30 PM Reason: one more foto
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Road finishes up on the beach where road signs says where to go but no cars allowed. Course we are on the bikes

Entry to pousada pakring is wide open, both Tenere jumped up easily. Makes us feel better in regard to expected sand tomorrow.

Roso screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 09:47 PM Reason: type error
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Popping up out of dark 2 bikes and 2 girls on them makes me feel silly,
I'm trying to convince myself how their bikes are light and easy, anybody could do it

Dusk and scenery are great. This doesn't apply to pousada, 60 Reais (approx. 37 USD) for B&B is just a too much for rotten, hot and humid room packed up with mosquito which has eaten us alive.
Around midnight we gave up and took the mattress to the fresh air, dreaming of some fancy pousada that can be found in Jeri.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Dawn was very welcomed after a fragile sleep which was later on interrupted by some night shouts, apparently 2 drunken couples were looking for a place to stay, palm slapping heard that night sounded to me just as breaking the twigs, which nut is making a barbecue fire by that time
It is not the myth but Brazil is really all about sex. Sex on the beach

Departure from pousada was as early as possible, God knows how much time will take last section.
Mate and Supertenere are doing it nice for the time being

Ready to go, Jery is waiting.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

We reached at the crossing where 20+ km ahead is pure off road, some guys there advised us to baixar de pneus (reduce tyre pressure).
We took a small break, curiosity of what to expect pushes us quickly back in the saddles.

First part to Prea beach was easy, Jericoacoara is so close....

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Second part from Prea beach was gumption destroying, Mate had a real trouble with heavy Supertenere, knoby tires are not allmighty when it comes to the deep sand. My Tenere perfomed much better on this, still some slips throuhg the sand made us to cross hardiest parts whith our missus helping us.
Jery wasn't so close anymore.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

No gain without a pain.
After quite some struggle we reached Jericoacoara, national park that allows only special registered vehicles to enter and explore its beauty. We left our bikes on special parking lot and took a 4x4 truck that runs regularly to the center.
Pousada with air conditioned and mosquito free room for 90 reais B&B was incredibly cheap compared to yesterday's one.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

We negotiated a buggy run for 130 reais, that took us to must see spots; Lagoa Azul, Pedra Furada, Dunes and all other fascinating beauties Jeri does offer to its visitors. With cold beers in one hand and photo cameras in other sand experience is getting completely different dimension
Jericoacoara is well known hot spot for kite and windusurf addicts all around the world.

Lagoa Azul is reached by mini sail boat, a small paradise that takes breath away.

Sand dunes are amazing

Roso screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 06:03 AM
Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
muito bom! thanks, one more place to visit if I ever get back to Brasil
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #11
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Next day we had to leave this small paradise and enter again the sand hell until we reach paved road. Plan B was developed, we'll send our missus and luggage with buggy, ride to Prea beach is just a 12 km, won't be costly. This leaves us with the minimum weight on the bikes and additionally we are getting 2 photographers just around us. There we go.

This was something completely different

Sand hell mentioned earlier might become fantastic experience

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Roso OP
Adventurer

Fortaleza - Jericoacoara

Felizidadeeeee!!!!!

Mate got his heavy monster out of the sand

Reached paved roads, adrenalin rush is more than good, shall we get back?

Our Jericoacoara adventure ended up with ₺galinha caipira₺, one of the lovely brasilian meals, few beers of course, thinking of how to apply to Dakar rally next year