Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Hey DD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarDemon View Post
I look forward to hearing your news at the end of the month! and very much look forward to reading all about you in Jan 2012!
I've just seen Neduro has entered too... I fear I'm going to be bankrupt!

Quote:
Good Luck with the weight loss and Mountain bike riding. Will you go off road on the Mountain bike or stick to Road Race / riding?
The problem I've had is having been off a bike for six months, and eating way too much crap as compensation...

I used to cycle around 100 miles a week (on and off road) on the MTB, and that was really good for my joints and general fitness... so that is what I'm going to start with... I have good [muscle] strength, it's just my cardio that is weak, and like you see, is what you need to maintain strength throughout the event...

Quote:
Swimming and Running is also a very good way of doing your cardiovascular exercise, but I'm sure I'm telling an old Pro. What was your diet and exercise regime for 2011 Dakar?
Not enough to be honest - not that I consider it affected me, but I was trading on my previous fitness, rather than maintaining or improving...

I'd done well in Tunisia, and considered myself 'bike fit' enough for the Dakar, but then as you recall I went and broke my foot in September so that screwed up all my plans for really getting in shape before the event. By the time I was able to walk/ride again, it was mid-November, and the UK was frozen solid - I didn't want to risk riding so close to the start, and while I was walking again, even at the start of the event my ankle still wasn't what you could say 100%...

And now, while I'm sure I can get much fitter, I'm not sure my ankle (with the plate in this time) is going to be 100% either... that is what I have to weigh-up...

Seems I'm destined to always race Dakar with some kind of ailment!

Quote:
Watching with great interest

Good Luck

DD
Thank you...

I hope to know more soon,

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote