ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
And here's a GPS track of the legal roads. Everything else is illegal.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2046
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #32
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
And here's a GPS track of the legal roads. Everything else is illegal.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2046
You should qualify that with the legal roads at Clearcreek.

There are a few other legal dirt roads in other parts of the Bay Area (but not many).
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #33
BERNERBUDDY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Wicked

Bay Area dirt??? Isn't that an oxymoron!!! BB
'74 TY250
BERNERBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #34
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
How about a package dual sport? Might be a good way to get aclimated.

How about dirt above Jamestown and nearby Long Barn?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post16236474
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #35
vuganeja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
2011 - updates?

I'm a dual sport noob on a f650gs twin and this looks like a fun ride to do. I live in almaden valley and should be very close to this.

I saw some posts on this thread around "unfriendly, hostile brandishing" locals. Anyone does this ride recently? And how safe is it to ride solo? I don't look native(and I'm not) and might stand out, hence the question!

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
It's tough to find dirt roads in the wild in the Bay Area. Too many gated hippie hiking trails.

The loop I like is in the southern Santa Cruz Mountains. From Pacifica:

* Head south on Hwy 101 or 280. Basically, just get to the Almaden Expressway exit on Hwy 85 in San Jose

* Make the first left at the exit and then an immediate right (onto Almaden). Keep going straight (~4 miles) until it ends on Harry Road.

* Turn right on Harry and make an immediate left onto McKean

* McKean becomes Uvas

* Enjoy the views and sweepers along Uvas

* When Uvas ends, turn right onto Watsonville Road

* On the right shortly is Chitactac-Adams Heritage County Park. This is a great little park to visit, btw. Restrooms and a nice little interpretive trail.

* Just past the park, turn right onto Redwood Retreat

* The road forks; turn left onto Mt Madonna

* FINALLY, the pavement ends! Enjoy 2 miles of dirt/tree roots/mud/fun through the redwoods.

* At the top of the hill, turn right onto Summit Road

* Keep going straight even past the signs saying the road ends.

* The road turns unpaved again for 10 glorious miles.

* You'll eventually hit an intersection at the top of the hill. Turn left (Loma Prieta Ave)

* Turn right onto Loma Prieta where you see a cluster of mailboxes on the right (I almost always miss this turn; GPS is your friend). More unpaved goodness.

* Loma Prieta eventually intersects with Summit Road near Hwy 17.

* If you miss the Loma Prieta turn, you'll stay straight on Mt Bache, which intersects with Highland Way, which becomes Summit Road. So no worries unless you really want that 1 more mile of dirt. ;)

Anyway, it's about 90 miles round trip (15 miles of dirt).
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #36
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuganeja View Post
I'm a dual sport noob on a f650gs twin and this looks like a fun ride to do. I live in almaden valley and should be very close to this.

I saw some posts on this thread around "unfriendly, hostile brandishing" locals. Anyone does this ride recently? And how safe is it to ride solo? I don't look native(and I'm not) and might stand out, hence the question!

thanks!

I would highly suggest avoiding that area between the two locked gates on Summit Rd. I live in Morgan Hill just off Watsonville and go near there quite often, never make the trek across but even being in that area on my TE610 gets me scorn and words from the four house owners near that gate. The folks are pretty fanatical in that area and could only see trouble from them, just not worth the effort, especially if some one was drunk or pissed off already.

Kind of sad how the area has a couple thousand acres soley for equestrians, one of the smallest groups of ownership as compared to motorcyclists, and almost nothing for dirt bikes. Metcalf is completely pointless unless it is for a newbie out getting some safe time on short trail systems. Hollister Hills is ok if you had never been to Clear Creek but I find it boring as hell and hate paying money to go in and it is usually way too congested for my liking. I am about to move into something more street oriented as the distance to get to any legal dirt is just asinine, at leat two hours and that would be Clear Creek. The last couple treks out to Clear Creek were enjoyable, just always feel like the trails that are clearly marked as open may not be and a nasty federal ticket is looming. Wish they would just open that area up as the San Benito economy is in dire need of the cash.

K.B.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #37
vuganeja
Adventurer

Thanks Fasttrak, good to know.

I'll try and stay away from them as well. I went to metcalf yesterday and you're right. Its good for a noob to get some practice drills going in the confines on a short and a predictable track. But even that got crowded past 11am. I've done clear creek which I thought was good with Doc Wong in a clinic. But again the trails aren't marked well, you might be unknowingly stray into a illegal road. The green trials in hollister hills are good for beginners, but you've got to get there early if you don't want passing dirt bikers on climbs on either side!!

Anyone have directions to ride Old hernandez road near clear creek? Entry and exit points on a google map perhaps?
I tried gloria/old gloria road off Hwy 25, but its more challenging due to the packed dirt with an inch or so of loose soft soil on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
I would highly suggest avoiding that area between the two locked gates on Summit Rd. I live in Morgan Hill just off Watsonville and go near there quite often, never make the trek across but even being in that area on my TE610 gets me scorn and words from the four house owners near that gate. The folks are pretty fanatical in that area and could only see trouble from them, just not worth the effort, especially if some one was drunk or pissed off already.

Kind of sad how the area has a couple thousand acres soley for equestrians, one of the smallest groups of ownership as compared to motorcyclists, and almost nothing for dirt bikes. Metcalf is completely pointless unless it is for a newbie out getting some safe time on short trail systems. Hollister Hills is ok if you had never been to Clear Creek but I find it boring as hell and hate paying money to go in and it is usually way too congested for my liking. I am about to move into something more street oriented as the distance to get to any legal dirt is just asinine, at leat two hours and that would be Clear Creek. The last couple treks out to Clear Creek were enjoyable, just always feel like the trails that are clearly marked as open may not be and a nasty federal ticket is looming. Wish they would just open that area up as the San Benito economy is in dire need of the cash.

K.B.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #38
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post

Kind of sad how the area has a couple thousand acres soley for equestrians, one of the smallest groups of ownership as compared to motorcyclists, and almost nothing for dirt bikes. Metcalf is completely pointless unless it is for a newbie out getting some safe time on short trail systems. Hollister Hills is ok if you had never been to Clear Creek but I find it boring as hell and hate paying money to go in and it is usually way too congested for my liking. I am about to move into something more street oriented as the distance to get to any legal dirt is just asinine, at leat two hours and that would be Clear Creek. The last couple treks out to Clear Creek were enjoyable, just always feel like the trails that are clearly marked as open may not be and a nasty federal ticket is looming. Wish they would just open that area up as the San Benito economy is in dire need of the cash

K.B.
Fasttrack

I read your post and thought i had written it. I couldn't agree more. Picked up a BMW F800GS to go do Adventure type rides. At least I can ride in Northern Cal. Sometimes I still have to haul the bike to get the hell out of the bay area (TMP). California, the land where fun use to be had!!!

LaPorte
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #39
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Anyone have directions to ride Old hernandez road near clear creek? Entry and exit points on a google map perhaps?
I tried gloria/old gloria road off Hwy 25, but its more challenging due to the packed dirt with an inch or so of loose soft soil on it.

If you have Mapsource I would highly suggest pulling that up and making some tracks in that area, as fun as it is to head out there the amount of actual dirt riding is pretty tame and limited. Clear Creek still has the most actual dirt roads and right now they are pretty fun and a decent workout at speed. From memory La Gloria is about 15 miles South of Panoche Rd on the Western side of Hwy 25, it heads out to Gonzales off the 101 and is about 17 mile run, not all dirt. Old Hernandez is about eight miles down the road from La Gloria and it heads off to the East side of Hwy 25, stay on this for about 28 miles and Clear Creek heads off East from Old Hernandez\Coalinga Rd. Be very careful crossing that fallen concrete bridge heading into Clear Creek cause it is damn snotty right now and almost did a tank slapper into a high side just crossing 25 feet. Was a good wake up prior to hitting some dirt trails in Clear Creek. I really need a bigger tank as I am kind of limited at the moment to about 150 mile range and would really love to get that up to about 250 miles to do more exploring around Clear Creek. Man do I miss that place for weekend camps and riding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Fasttrack

I read your post and thought i had written it. I couldn't agree more. Picked up a BMW F800GS to go do Adventure type rides. At least I can ride in Northern Cal. Sometimes I still have to haul the bike to get the hell out of the bay area (TMP). California, the land where fun use to be had!!!

LaPorte

I am seriously considering upgrading to the new Triumph 800 xc, it would allow me further range all they way out to SLO and the Sierra foothills. Slabbing on the TE is just not my cup of tea. I have spent the last year mapping pretty much all around Watsonville to Aptos and this side of the hill from San Jose to Clear Creek and there just isn't much legal dirt for us anymore. In the next few weeks I plan on hitting the coastal range around Jolon and Hunter Ligget, praying for something juicey and grin inspiring. Will post back if I find anything worthwhile.

K.B.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #40
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Old Hernandez Road

I would recommend heading up to Mendocino NF. It's about 3hrs from San Jose; a haul, epic for a day-trip but not for an overnighter. Camp in the NF cheap or one of the many hot springs joints like Wilbur Hot Springs.

If you are going to ride the County roads in Clear Creek then don't forget to enjoy the Panoche Valley and if you want to stay the night then Mercey Hot Springs is nearby and a good spot. There are some other BLM areas nearby that could be explored just be forewarned that they have "closed" them to all 2-wheeled vehicles... patrols are vanishingly rare and I wonder if the ranger would give you a ticket (as the closure to one class of plated vehicle can't be defensible in court) but you should know - and then pretend you didn't!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
JChen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Supermoto

I just came back from taking that ride, it was intense haha. I was riding a KLX250SF which happened to have road tires up until Summit I was fine but around 5 miles in road tires just wouldn't cut it and i ended up locking my front brake and dumping the bike... A couple scratches on the plastic, broken turn signals, and a bent handle bar, i continued the rest of my journey as carefully as possible. All in all it was an amazing trail that i would do again with knobbies and ONLY KNOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
It's tough to find dirt roads in the wild in the Bay Area. Too many gated hippie hiking trails.

The loop I like is in the southern Santa Cruz Mountains. From Pacifica:

* Head south on Hwy 101 or 280. Basically, just get to the Almaden Expressway exit on Hwy 85 in San Jose

* Make the first left at the exit and then an immediate right (onto Almaden). Keep going straight (~4 miles) until it ends on Harry Road.

* Turn right on Harry and make an immediate left onto McKean

* McKean becomes Uvas

* Enjoy the views and sweepers along Uvas

* When Uvas ends, turn right onto Watsonville Road

* On the right shortly is Chitactac-Adams Heritage County Park. This is a great little park to visit, btw. Restrooms and a nice little interpretive trail.

* Just past the park, turn right onto Redwood Retreat

* The road forks; turn left onto Mt Madonna

* FINALLY, the pavement ends! Enjoy 2 miles of dirt/tree roots/mud/fun through the redwoods.

* At the top of the hill, turn right onto Summit Road

* Keep going straight even past the signs saying the road ends.

* The road turns unpaved again for 10 glorious miles.

* You'll eventually hit an intersection at the top of the hill. Turn left (Loma Prieta Ave)

* Turn right onto Loma Prieta where you see a cluster of mailboxes on the right (I almost always miss this turn; GPS is your friend). More unpaved goodness.

* Loma Prieta eventually intersects with Summit Road near Hwy 17.

* If you miss the Loma Prieta turn, you'll stay straight on Mt Bache, which intersects with Highland Way, which becomes Summit Road. So no worries unless you really want that 1 more mile of dirt. ;)

Anyway, it's about 90 miles round trip (15 miles of dirt).
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
vuganeja
Adventurer

pictures of summit road?

Jchen:
Any pictures of the gradient and road quality of summit road?
I've got street tires on my F650gs twin and live very close and want to try.
Also I'm a newbie with dirt.

thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #43
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Jchen:
Any pictures of the gradient and road quality of summit road?
I've got street tires on my F650gs twin and live very close and want to try.
Also I'm a newbie with dirt.
If you just want to experience riding in the dirt, go visit the Carnegie OHV park east of Livermore. It's a nice ride to get there and they have many easy dirt roads that you can experiment on. If you stay on the green beginner roads, you should be able to handle it well enough. I've taken newbies there, some even on the same bike you ride, and they did fine. Just be careful that you don't continue too far on some roads that turn into blue or black diamond trails.

I would offer to take you there myself, except that I no longer live in the area. (We have a lot more good dirt road and trail choices here, east of Sacramento - I need to get out and ride more of them.)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
I took La Gloria Road yesterday starting at 25 north of Pinnacles.

I'd definitely come at it from the west if you're riding a big bike unless you like steep, descending, off-camber switchbacks.

Going to head north soon to check-out Rayhouse Road and Western Mine Road.

THERE WILL BE DIRT!

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
i've done both summit and la gloria on my r1100rs sporty-touring bike with metzeler z6 touring tires which are about as close to slicks as you can get. easy hard packed wide roads.

summit has been a private maintained road for a lot longer than 20 years. we lived off Casserly near Mt Madonna Rd (behind the county fairgrounds) in the early 80s, and it was that way then.