User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
pkbinder OP
Kissing Moose

Oddometer: 264
Lake Michigan Iron Butt

Yesterday was a perfect weather day, so I took off at 4am and headed north to Milwaukee, then to Green Bay, then to Manistique and then to Sault Ste Marie. 485 miles so far. I headed south on I-75, (the Mac Bridge and Lake Michigan were gorgeous)then route 127, then I-69. With 70mph speed limits and few towns and only a little construction I went REALLY fast. Turned west on I-94 and hit the Skyway into Chicago just before midnight. 1003 miles in just over 20 hours, incliding 3 hours of non-driving time for eating, napping and filling up the tank. Less than $80 in gas,btw.
pkbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Congratulation and Nice route!!!

When I did my bun burner 1000 / saddle sore 1500 or whatever, I headed west and did all interstates in IA, MN, Dakotas, MN, WI, and back home. It was cool to get it checked off the list and done, but your route is way cooler.

I am thinking about a similiar trip - but over a few days. Manistique over to the bridge. From there, though I will probably follow the lake and rt 31 down. How was it at the north end of the lake?

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
pkbinder OP
Kissing Moose

Lake Michigan

Cool and a little boring. Had I not been pushing it I could have found some interesting trails.

Wait. You did 1500 miles in 24 hours? Wow. Paul
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,202
Cograts on the ride, I did that ride a few years ago starting and ending in lansing, lake michigan is beautiful.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
a57m2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
counterclock route around LM?

Congratulations!!!! and since you have it fresh in your mind - any penalty to do it counterclockwise?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
spdjnky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Me and my brother were just talking about doing this in the fall. Sounds like a nice ride.
spdjnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
pkbinder OP
Kissing Moose

Clockwise vs counter-clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by a57m2000 View Post
Congratulations!!!! and since you have it fresh in your mind - any penalty to do it counterclockwise?
I would not think so. I have heard that you should consider the position of the sun when doing an all day ride, which is good advice, but this particular trip is mostly north/south, so the sun was never a problem.
Remember that the most direct route around the lake is slightly less than 1000 miles, so you have to balloon it out somewhere. Mapquest is invaluable.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
a57m2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
I would not think so. I have heard that you should consider the position of the sun when doing an all day ride, which is good advice, but this particular trip is mostly north/south, so the sun was never a problem.
Remember that the most direct route around the lake is slightly less than 1000 miles, so you have to balloon it out somewhere. Mapquest is invaluable.
Thanks, yes, you are right, I was thinking to leave early south thought Chicago, with less traffic, balloon it out in Michigan, and that straight around to Northfield.
At least once a year I ride to SLC, UT and my personal IB is from Chicago to Cheyenne, WY In my experience it is much easier to ride E-W, and than toward the end of the day when sun is low, straight in your face, to do an hour brake. Also as you go west from Chicago you gain an hour, and speed limit goes up. Going W-E I have a pair of a very dark sunglasses that allow me to see through the bright sun.
For IB ride I thought it has to be a separate ride, without a specific purpose, or maybe that was an excuse for me not to do it in the past.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
Yesterday was a perfect weather day, so I took off at 4am and headed north to Milwaukee, then to Green Bay, then to Manistique and then to Sault Ste Marie. 485 miles so far. I headed south on I-75, (the Mac Bridge and Lake Michigan were gorgeous)then route 127, then I-69. With 70mph speed limits and few towns and only a little construction I went REALLY fast. Turned west on I-94 and hit the Skyway into Chicago just before midnight. 1003 miles in just over 20 hours, incliding 3 hours of non-driving time for eating, napping and filling up the tank. Less than $80 in gas,btw.
congrats
what were you riding that cost so little in fuel?
i suppose it would cost > $120.00 if i did the same on my GT
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 804
Nice work!

Was just on a number of those roads late last month on a bike trip from Minneapolis out to NY and back.
Instead of heading down through Chicago on the way back we took the Lake Express ferry to Milwaukee.
You can really make time on some of those MI roads, everyone drives FAST!
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
pkbinder OP
Kissing Moose

Lake Michigan Iron Butt

An 800GS. Eight fill-ups (actually nine if you count the tank I started with, but then you have to subtract what I had left at the end and I filled up very near the end) at $11 or $12 dollars or less.