Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #61
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
those are some serious whoops! and nice rock ledge. is that the egg i see?

as far as weight goes; in addition to the stock can, you can also swap out the battery for one of those new fangled shorai batteries which will reduce the weight a tad in the front.

definitely agree on the suspenders; i did a foolish near vertical jump a few weeks ago and besides my total lack of ability the bike landed like a ton of bricks and everything hit the stops. luckily bike and rider survived.

oh and in keeping with the theme of this thread, no i haven't ridden the xc800. don't want too. the f800gs was my first 'dirt' bike. i wouldn't trade it for another bike. i will say that to use it as i want to use it will require additional capex to get it setup. nature of the beast; everything needs adjustments to make it 'right' for you.
That's a great hill climb you are tracking there. Dang. Hope rounding the top didn't hurt too much.

Eggs currently resting in the Uwharrie OHV area @ the Art Lilley Camp ground...if you are looking to take that GS on some trails. Easy Forest Service road access as well if one is inclined to ride on regular roads. Egg really enjoyed jumping the GS and riding at speeds over 100 mph in the sand.

When I bought the GS I considered many options including the KTM, XR, DR, and finding a 650 GS Dakar. Weighing out all the options, the F8 GS is the best "touring" compromise I could think of. It's expensive but building a different bike up to the level of the stock F8 would have been expensive also, and time consuming, and require a shop (which I don't have readily available).

It's a great touring bike and does everything that I want it to but it's not my ideal RTW bike though. What I've found in my limited experience adjusting bikes for my needs is that it's always easier to add features to a bike than it is to take them away. And to make the 800 GS into a bike that is truly capable of tackling all terrain would require removing and changing very expensive key and core components...kind of like ChiTowns STB build.

2 bikes I'm considering buying and throwing modification funds into for serious RTW riding: older model 640 adventure and a DR 650. There just isn't a way to economically bring the F8 up to the level of these two bikes for RTW riding. Can't shed enough pounds for one thing. That weight issue is critical for off road adventures. It's why I didn't buy the KTM 990 Adventure and why I won't consider the 800 XC. The 800 GS is too heavy as it is and weighs in at just the limits of off road usability...the other bikes are even heavier.

And on the other side there's building up one of the uber light 450's but those bikes don't usually have a sub frame capable of handling the weight of gear and they usually require a lot of maintenance at very short intervals.

I really wish that KTM would come out with a 690 Adventure model -> using standard Rally Raid design that bike would rock out on the highway and off of it. I know you can buy the aftermarket fit kits for the current 690s but the retro kit alone costs a serious pretty penny.

Something like this would be the only thing that can compete with the F8 as a touring/adventure bike...(690 ADV Retrofit Kit from the Roemer Team)

...and the KTM 690 thumper engine routinely makes 60 mpg (reported to hit almost 70 mpg for some people). That's way way better than the XC and the GS but YMMV.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 10:26 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #62
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post

Sorry, riding sloppy gravel roads to the Arctic Circle is a great accomplishment for the riders, but doesn't prove a thing with this bike for it's long term reliability, or dirt handling abilities, any bike can do that ride with the right pliot. BTDT

Seems to me the consensus is, the XC is a better road bike than dirt bike and personally I have a DS bike to ride hard on dirt, with long highway miles in comfort to get there - my focus in handling is on dirt so this bike doesn't interest me at all.

Looks like a real nice bike, and I say if someone is having fun while riding it, then it's the perfect bike for that person.
I'm with you. I bought an 800XC for the road, and it is nice on the road. And I will eventually update my Dakar with another BMW product. I'm waiting on BMW to make something more similar to your ST bike. If they don't do it via the BMW badge, they may do it with under the Husqvarna badge and a 900cc displacement. I'm looking forward to what this machine will look like.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #63
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
I do really think the XC design looks great, I'm just not interested for my riding.
I agree, for riding on dirt and trails I have a Dakar and a WR250R. For the road, the XC. If one day I have to have only one bike, I will probably have the F800GS.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #64
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,408
i'm tossing around a 'berg 570 in the woods. talk about out of shape. assuming you are going to use the bike for 'trips' that don't involve a trailer, make sure your 'little' bike has some form of subframe. the 'berg has none so putting anything on the tail in regards to cargo will be next to impossible.

luckily for me, i trailer it/moto carrier it wherever i'm going to ride it. jesse hasn't come out with a luggage rack for it yet.

Quote:
A small husky TE is at the top of my list for a new bike... There's places I just can't go, or too out of shape to on the STB no matter how much money gets dumped into it... and forget about taking an even heavier DS bike on those kinds of trails too.

I do really think the XC design looks great, I'm just not interested for my riding.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #65
austin
Mr. Stache

Oddometer: 26
I was trying to decide between these two bikes, but reading this thread makes me want to just buy a an old KRL and get on with it.
austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #66
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

its a game of compromises. i don't think anyone has found the "do anything go anywhere with no downsides" motorcycle yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
I was trying to decide between these two bikes, but reading this thread makes me want to just buy a an old KRL and get on with it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #67
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #68
austin
Mr. Stache

Oddometer: 26
Indeed. I understand that. This is the first time I've ever researched a motorcycle that I was going to buy. I've been blindly buying BMW air/oil heads for a long time. I thought I'd try to be open minded and look at other bikes that have come out in the last 8 years. But this thread is stressin' me out!

F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC..

And yes, I rode the XC. Still need to stop by the local Harley-Davidson dealer to see if one of the 3 bikes in their "BMW Department" is an F800GS that hasn't been farkled the fuck out to 18 grand.

Quote:
its a game of compromises. i don't think anyone has found the "do anything go anywhere with no downsides" motorcycle yet.
austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #69
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Indeed. I understand that. This is the first time I've ever researched a motorcycle that I was going to buy. I've been blindly buying BMW air/oil heads for a long time. I thought I'd try to be open minded and look at other bikes that have come out in the last 8 years. But this thread is stressin' me out!

F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC.. F800.. 800XC..

And yes, I rode the XC. Still need to stop by the local Harley-Davidson dealer to see if one of the 3 bikes in their "BMW Department" is an F800GS that hasn't been farkled the fuck out to 18 grand.
Don't stress. Just buy the bike that fits you.

What seems eons now my cousin committed suicide on a motorcycle. He was drunk, pissed off, and going way too fast. Hit an off ramp, lost control, crashed and burned. But the worst thing was that his father (my dads brother) happened to be driving across the bridge at the end of that off ramp in a Semi at the exact instant that my cousin crashed. My uncle ran over his own sons mangled body.

I was so young I didn't have a drivers license yet and my mother told me that it would kill her if I ever got a motorcycle. It was in my blood so I hid it for years, but she eventually found out. Well that was more bikes than I can count ago and my parents have never accepted the fact that I live and breath them.

I crashed once, hit a deer @ 60 mph on a cruiser. Stayed on the bike the entire time I was flipping end to end. Crushed the gas tank with my knees. Broke both wrists and permanently separated my right shoulder. Split my helmet in two. Tore open my riding suit and suffered road rash down the right side of my body as I was pinned under the bike while we were sliding down the road. When I bought the cruiser I was actually shopping for a BMW GS. Got talked into buying the cruiser instead by a slick salesman with a sharp tongue who wanted to make a deal to get the cruiser out of the showroom. Last time I ever made the mistake of letting someone else tell me what I should buy or talk me into a deal that I wasn't comfortable making. I didn't trust my instincts about that bike and never really liked it. Never really had fun on it. I'll probably die on a motorcycle but after that I decided that when I do, it'll be on my terms riding a bike that I thoroughly enjoy, through my own choices.

A couple weeks ago and several thousand miles behind I stopped home to visit the family. Just before I left my folks house I pulled the F8 out of the garage to get ready to go and my mom said to me "you told me this bike was you, and I see know that it is". She said "It suits you". And it does. I love my F8.

There is no perfect bike but there are bikes that fit your lifestyle, ideology, and self image. Go with what works for you and have fun. XC <-> GS, doesn't matter what kind of ride you are on as long as you are happy riding what you have.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 04:15 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #70
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
At least you wont be troubled by "excess" power while you are pouring oil into it or replacing the "Doohickey"!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #71
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
loph did you do the indy shock top bolt mod? if not you might want to check out that bolt to make sure it didn't bend
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #72
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

nothin' i can do about it now. if it's bent its bent. it'll have to wait until after this weekend. going to bloomsburg. i'll just make sure i take it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
loph did you do the indy shock top bolt mod? if not you might want to check out that bolt to make sure it didn't bend
Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #73
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
nothin' i can do about it now. if it's bent its bent. it'll have to wait until after this weekend. going to bloomsburg. i'll just make sure i take it easy.
true, but if it is bent you should try to replace it soon
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #74
angellr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
A small husky TE is at the top of my list for a new bike... There's places I just can't go, or too out of shape to on the STB no matter how much money gets dumped into it... and forget about taking an even heavier DS bike on those kinds of trails too.

Joe,

Got a chance to see, feel, and almost ride (was in birkenstocks, so I passed on this) a Husky 510TE over at the neighbor's house. What a machine!!! Also, it was VERY light and had a sound you could hear throughout the neighborhood when the neighbor rode it. Too tall for my inseam challenged legs, but reminded me of the OSSA/Huskys I used to ride as a kid. Downside, it did not have mirrors and other stuff to make it completely street legal (who cares, right?)

-Bob-
angellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #75
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Last Wednesday, I test rode a Tiger 1050, Tiger 800XC, and F800GS back to back to back.

Below is the result of my experience with these three machines. :cool:

NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote