ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #46
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
seeking the elusive 640/690 KTM 19/17 converts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturul cu Dinti
thanks mate :)



So Woody or anybody, is there in the colective wisdom any knoledge regarding de 640s 19/17 set up?

I am planing to buy a 2.50x19" and a 4x17" rim and some spokes and rebuild the wheels on the oem hubs.
Is that doable?

In the other hand is the 640Adv happy with it?
How is the bike behavior?

cheers
i have to go to bucharest to pick up an extra set of wheels i buildt for one of your fellow countrymen,,maybe i'll bring some wheel kits for you

Zach,,my resident superlacer will be back from the hospital today,,he'll remember who he buildt one for,,,in the meantime all the pros and cons apply to virtually all the bikes that we convert form 21/17,,it is ithe nature of this tire wheel set-up,,,,read about them here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1

i have no idea why you all are so concerned about finding a 640 owner that had his wheel converted,,,,you can ask most any owner that has his 21/18 converted to 19/17!!!!

and that's my final answer and i'm sticking with it!!!
just ajoke,,i'll answer more questions

Woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #47
Vulturul cu Dinti
Adventurer
 
Vulturul cu Dinti's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bucharest, Motorcycle Hell
Oddometer: 74
wheels

Hey man, thx!
I don't want to be more catholic than the pope but all the posts were on 950/990. there is no difference on the wheel but on the weight and suspenssion side it is, and I thought that it counts for something!

But I take your word for good and I go ahead.

regarding your trip to bucharest and the wheel kits, give me more details if u want, and thx again!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
i have to go to bucharest to pick up an extra set of wheels i buildt for one of your fellow countrymen,,maybe i'll bring some wheel kits for you

Zach,,my resident superlacer will be back from the hospital today,,he'll remember who he buildt one for,,,in the meantime all the pros and cons apply to virtually all the bikes that we convert form 21/17,,it is ithe nature of this tire wheel set-up,,,,read about them here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1

i have no idea why you all are so concerned about finding a 640 owner that had his wheel converted,,,,you can ask most any owner that has his 21/18 converted to 19/17!!!!

and that's my final answer and i'm sticking with it!!!
just ajoke,,i'll answer more questions

Woody
Vulturul cu Dinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #48
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
don't worry!!!...Be HAPPY!!!!,,21/18 to 19/17 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturul cu Dinti
Hey man, thx!
I don't want to be more catholic than the pope but all the posts were on 950/990. there is no difference on the wheel but on the weight and suspenssion side it is, and I thought that it counts for something!

But I take your word for good and I go ahead.

regarding your trip to bucharest and the wheel kits, give me more details if u want, and thx again!

Cheers
well being a good altar -boy i have to tell ya that the wheels will pretty much end up weighing the same so your suspension shouldn't be affected if the unsprung weight is fairly equal,,,,

when going from narrow/ larger diameter to smaller/wider the amount of metal used is similar,,,BUT hey,,ya have me an idea,,i'll weigh em and give a full report on it

OBTW,,my word is real good

woody

PS,,i hear you have a beautiful country,,,,i have dear friend in Braslov,,when is a good time to go by motorcycle??? and roughly how long /kilometers to braslov?
multemec mult
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #49
Vulturul cu Dinti
Adventurer
 
Vulturul cu Dinti's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bucharest, Motorcycle Hell
Oddometer: 74
sorry woody, I was talking about the weight of the bikes :) and from here the difference in comportment, that is why I keep asking for someone with a modified 640. Again, I'm sure u know your stuff, I'm just the kind who needs to know before trying.

Ro is a beautiful country, often compared to Swissland or Austria in terms of landscapes. Unfortunately, there are allready 3 months of havy raining and many countrysides are to muddy for bigger bikes. But otherwise u will find here roads and trails for each taste, from hard to easy, from sand to rocks. Starting the next week it will follow a break in rains and the sun will shine with high temps []36 to 40 celsius. So I can say that the first half of august will be safe and dry for u.

Brasov [read brashov] is close to the middle of the country so between 400 to 600 km depending wich direction u come to.

If u come and need help or info, please do not hesitate to contact me [u have pm with contatc details]. Any way, give me a sign if u come, maybe will ride some miles toghether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
well being a good altar -boy i have to tell ya that the wheels will pretty much end up weighing the same so your suspension shouldn't be affected if the unsprung weight is fairly equal,,,,

when going from narrow/ larger diameter to smaller/wider the amount of metal used is similar,,,BUT hey,,ya have me an idea,,i'll weigh em and give a full report on it

OBTW,,my word is real good

woody

PS,,i hear you have a beautiful country,,,,i have dear friend in Braslov,,when is a good time to go by motorcycle??? and roughly how long /kilometers to braslov?
multemec mult
Vulturul cu Dinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #50
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kieth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 384
Question

I bought my wheels from Woody's back in 2006, they are great. Would I be pulling a no no if I offered them for sale here or should I post them somewhere else. ????Kieth Do not want to impose....
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #51
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
I bought my wheels from Woody's back in 2006, they are great. Would I be pulling a no no if I offered them for sale here or should I post them somewhere else. ????Kieth Do not want to impose....
i bet they want you to put em in the ''flea market'' you can always ask/PM "gadgetBoy'' for clarification,,,

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #52
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling
 
1Bonehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Marylanstain
Oddometer: 1,044
06 950 Adventurer

OK-So I bent my front stock wheel dodging a flock(about 10,000 or so ) of starlings. They took out one mirror and left blood spots on my jacket, helmet and fairing. Looking for new set of wheel for dual sporting. Good tough set . Once I get them I will send my bent up front one to you for repair. PM me the costs.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #53
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
well just what are you wanting prices on??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothdoc
OK-So I bent my front stock wheel dodging a flock(about 10,000 or so ) of starlings. They took out one mirror and left blood spots on my jacket, helmet and fairing. Looking for new set of wheel for dual sporting. Good tough set . Once I get them I will send my bent up front one to you for repair. PM me the costs.
sounds good ,,,i assume you are interested in a 19/17 set-up..

these run between $1400-1750 depending on oem or billet hubs///colored rims or silver/ss or zartan nippes,//regular lacing or superlacing etc

have a good week-end

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #54
K6KTM
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Oddometer: 32
Hi Woody what are people doing about the side stand length, seen a few chopped versions with screwed rod to make them fit both sets of wheels, I don't like the look of personally, other option is to get another stock one cut it down and weld another foot on. Do you know if any other standard KTM stand fits? superduke or similar?
K6KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #55
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
ktm shortened sidestands for the 19/17 set-up ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6KTM View Post
Hi Woody what are people doing about the side stand length, seen a few chopped versions with screwed rod to make them fit both sets of wheels, I don't like the look of personally, other option is to get another stock one cut it down and weld another foot on. Do you know if any other standard KTM stand fits? superduke or similar?
i've heard of folks getting/using SM side-stands but don't hold me to it.
we have altered quite a few stock ones and increased the footprint at the same time for those souls wanting that ,,,,, they send em in and request them be shortened or lengthened x inches...

actually we do more adjustable ones because they can be made to handle 17 SM or 19/17 or 21/18 set-ups with just one unit....with a minimum outlay.

the beauty of the adjustable side-stand is that in less than a minute you can adjust for optimal lean angle..... you can not only compensate for wheel diameter changes but also for what i call the real-time situation of your bike,,,BWOE heavily loaded or when carrying an extra passenger.....when we adjust the pre-load on the rear shock we also happen to adjust the height of the rear end in the resting position.....

will see if my guys have more info on this....i remember it was discussed somewhere sometime ago...

w
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 08:03 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #56
elduche211
Adventurer
 
elduche211's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 33
19/17 5.0X17 Rear

Got my 19/17 setup finally done(170 rear)....with Woody's superlace...amazing sport bike.
Attached Images
 
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure
elduche211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #57
elduche211
Adventurer
 
elduche211's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 33
One more, thanks Woody!
Attached Images
 
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure
elduche211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #58
hornet_sv
Adventurer
 
hornet_sv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 41
Any chances of some 19/17 spokies for the 990 SMT?

:)
hornet_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #59
cord4530
danimal
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Moscow, ID
Oddometer: 42
19" front wheel for 690 SMC?

I've read that the 21" wheels will hit the caliper, but I was curious if anyone had tried to mount a 19" wheel on the 690 SMC. I've used that size front wheel for other adventure bikes, and I love the great tire selection and stability in gravel/dirt. I figured if anyone knew, it would be you!

-Dan
cord4530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #60
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
19 '' to 690 SMC,,do-able???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cord4530 View Post
I've read that the 21" wheels will hit the caliper, but I was curious if anyone had tried to mount a 19" wheel on the 690 SMC. I've used that size front wheel for other adventure bikes, and I love the great tire selection and stability in gravel/dirt. I figured if anyone knew, it would be you!

-Dan
well just talked with Zach and we believe we could pull something like this off,,,we have a few tricks up our sleeve with custom X-laced wheel patterns,,,FYI ,,, the 17 inch front SM wheels use this technique too,,,to gain a little more room

what would help is to send the wheel in after you mark the spot on the spoke closest to the edge of the caliper,,give me a rough idea of how much it clears by,,,then we can extrapolate where that spot would be on a 19'' version and what we need to do ..

FYI,,even under the best efforts to create clearance we have every once in a blue moon needed to resort to shaving/filing a mm or two off the offending spot on the caliper

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014