Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
It won't me put them all up at once so I'll do them one at a time.
Attached Images

never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Next one. In line to go out.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #33
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

On the track, in the turn.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #34
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

And again.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #35
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

In third place.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats where ended up, 3rd. Pekin Illinois 1975.
Attached Images

never2old4fun screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 01:49 PM Reason: add picture
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #37
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
wow, these are great!

Great pictures! Were you running in the AMA Pro Junior class? The reason I ask is the Juniors used to run (and maybe still do) yellow plates with black numbers. Either way great pics.

I was having problems with the picture posting until Oregon Coast (Paul, who rode the Mexican 1000 this year on a 1972 SL350) coached me thru the process. First you put your pictures on a photo sharing web site (like SmugMug) and then when you are on SmugMug you hover over the picture of choice, right click and then left click "copy", then you just drop your cursor into your reply on ADV Rider and right click and then left click "paste" it then drops the link in for your photo and the picture appears. This way you can also post multiple pictures in one reply, and it is easier than I make it sound.

Thanks for sharing and feel free to post more. Are you still riding? Any of the old twins still laying around? Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2old4fun View Post
Thats where ended up, 3rd. Pekin Illinois 1975.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #38
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Great pictures! Were you running in the AMA Pro Junior class? The reason I ask is the Juniors used to run (and maybe still do) yellow plates with black numbers. Either way great pics.

I was having problems with the picture posting until Oregon Coast (Paul, who rode the Mexican 1000 this year on a 1972 SL350) coached me thru the process. First you put your pictures on a photo sharing web site (like SmugMug) and then when you are on SmugMug you hover over the picture of choice, right click and then left click "copy", then you just drop your cursor into your reply on ADV Rider and right click and then left click "paste" it then drops the link in for your photo and the picture appears. This way you can also post multiple pictures in one reply, and it is easier than I make it sound.

Thanks for sharing and feel free to post more. Are you still riding? Any of the old twins still laying around? Take care!
Thanks,
The pictures were from when I was an amateur. After that I went pro, but two years into it I got married, but that made married life rough so stopped racing. After that were the work injuries and it took me a long time to even get back on a bike so I don't compete any more, two back surgeries, rods and screws holding me together, plus two rotator cuff surgeries, both arms screws in those also.
I only ride the street now on a KTM 950 SMR, but most of the time I'm busy working on bikes. Older bikes like the 4 SL 175's I'm getting back together. My friends 1971 BSA Thunderbolt that were making into a street tracker and when called I do welding and fabrication for a friend mine who has held the number 1 plate in the AHMRA flat track series in the dinosaur class for many years, so I'm always having some kind of fun with motorcycles.

never2old4fun screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 04:58 PM Reason: wrong word
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #39
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Progress Report 7-7-11

Tonight I started stripping both the new donor bike as well as my regular ride. This allowed me to start test fitting the pieces to see what will and won't work. The Works Performance shocks will definitely fit, and although they are sprung for a much heavier rider, it looks as though the SW springs might fit and would be a little softer. The nicer seat went right on, but the CV carbs interfere with the forward edges of the hand made side panels. Since I am considering changing to the slide type carbs that may not be an issue. The exhaust should go right on, but I want to get new exhaust port gaskets before bolting these on. I think after I get everything test fit and decide exactly what to use, I will tear it all down and give it a good cleaning before final reassembly. Still pondering whether to continue on with the "barn fresh" look, or go ahead with some fresh paint and detailing.

On another note, I did talk to PNW AHRMA rep Randy Skiver today, to see what will or won't be legal to use and determined that the TT500 rear wheel is too new to use. Other than that, the only other real issue is to check travel front and rear and make sure it does not exceed 4" rear and 7" front.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #40
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Getting Organized!

So today was one of those rare days with only a few chores and lots of shop time available, so took advantage of the opportunity. As I was working along and my natural ADD was kicking in, I began to realize what a mess the shop was. Several bikes in pieces, exhaust systems, shock absorbers and springs, tools, hardware and more spread out all over the place, yikes!

Before cleaning up the shop (or the bike for that matter) I decided to take a picture of everything as it was (this is just a small portion of the debris field);

So I took the bike outside and gave it a good bath (had not been cleaned since PIR) and then cleaned up the shop.

At this point I have checked the rear wheel travel with the new shocks and right now it's at 4.25 inches, after installing bushings on the shock rods to limit compression should be right at 4 inches, and the front end checks at just under 7 inches.

Took all the springs off my extra shocks and discovered none will fit the Works Performance shocks, so tomorrow will call and order springs tailored to the bike and my weight. At the same time will get the compression limiting bushings and after that is all assembled the suspension should be good to go.

Got the exhaust all test fit with the lower pipes and mufflers, they are lighter than the scrambler pipes, will reduce the center of gravity and have a nice sound too. Found the alternator wiring had begun melting on the back of the scrambler pipes, so will be doing more harness repairs. May end up using the donor bike harness as it is very minimal and appears well built.

Still plenty to do but making progress, have decided to continue focusing on the mechanical side of things and will set aside paint and detailing for the next winter. The "Barn Fresh" look lives on for at least one more race!

Still to do before Chehalis;

Finish shocks
Finish exhaust
Repair wiring
Change carbs
Check tune up
Change engine oil (to synthetic)
Replace some of the cables
Change front wheel (it's cracked)
Replace rear brake shoes

Right now I can't wait for the first test ride with the new shocks!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Springs

Since the donor bike came with a pair of fairly new looking Works Performance shocks that would be a huge upgrade over the old SW's, I'm determined to have these on the bike for Chehalis. On Monday morning I called Works Performance to order rear shock springs and as always, when working with phone reps it is the luck of the draw. The guy I got did not want to hear what I needed, instead launched into a long speech about everything they did and how he was going to help me. When he finally took a breath, I quickly interjected that yes, this winter when I'm done riding the bike you can rebuild everything, but for now I just need some softer springs for an upcoming race. He finally began to listen and asked a few questions and began to take down my measurements. I gave him everything I had; spring lengths, diameters, wire size, everything. He then asked if I had the swing arm and shock mount lengths so he could check geometry. I said no, but would get them and call him back the next morning. He also told me to get a dgital caliper so I could give him a more exact wire diameter on the coils. No problemo.

The next morning called the same rep back and began relaying the final bits of information. Much to my surprise, he then said "we don't have any springs in the length or size you need, we can't help you". I am sitting there on the phone a little puzzled, but forge on, explaining that they were indeed Works Performance shocks, clearly had the WP label and were just a pretty standard spring set up, and what do you mean you can't help me? He stuck to his guns, saying they could not help me, so I realized that I needed to hang up before I lost my temper.

I then called OC and asked who did he use, as I remembered in his Baja blog he talked about a suspension guru that had been a great help. He said I needed to call Alex at Konflict Motorsports as he had been a great help to Paul in setting up the front and rear suspension on his SL350. I called Alex and what a difference! Super helpful, knowledgeable and ready to get to work! Just what I was hoping for. He took all of my measurements and said he would have springs custom wound to fit both the bike and rider weight as well as the bikes geometry. He said it takes about a week to have them wound, powder coated and shipped.

In fairness to Works Performance I have had other riders tell me they received great service and had I started over with a different rep might have had a much better experience.

The plan now is that at whatever point we are done riding vintage for the season, Alex will take my forks and shocks and give them a complete rebuild including dyno testing. He said that the forks will require custom emulators to prevent cavitation and he had some ideas he wants to try on them. I'm looking forward to seeing and feeling the progress and am already excited to tear the bike down this winter and go completely though it.

Post Script; just talked to OC on the phone and told him I was going to work on making the bike as light as possible for next season, he said it was like taking Ugly Betty and trying to turn her into a super model! Well that is just the kind of encouragement I need, Ugly Betty indeed!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #42
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Springs on order

Alex at Konflict Motorsports is having the new rear springs custom wound in Okahoma, and is pretty confident they'll be finished and here by early August. Whew! The old spring rate was about 120 lbs/inch and Alex has calculated a new rate of 85 lbs/inch. That should soften things up a bit!

In the meantime I've finished stripping the donor bike and decided that I'll definitely be converting to the stock slide carbs. The CV carbs may make a little more power, but the bike was definitely boggy coming out of the tight turns. What I lose off the starting line should be made up for in rideability.

Got my pre entry in for Chehalis, signed up for the Sportsman 500 Intermediate, I'll probably have my hands full of snarling CZ's!

Not much progress for the rest of this week, too many honey do's! Next week I plan to be out in the shop every night, should make a ton of progress, so stay tuned....
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Alex at Konflict Motorsports is having the new rear springs custom wound in Okahoma, and is pretty confident they'll be finished and here by early August. Whew! The old spring rate was about 120 lbs/inch and Alex has calculated a new rate of 85 lbs/inch. That should soften things up a bit!

In the meantime I've finished stripping the donor bike and decided that I'll definitely be converting to the stock slide carbs. The CV carbs may make a little more power, but the bike was definitely boggy coming out of the tight turns. What I lose off the starting line should be made up for in rideability.

Got my pre entry in for Chehalis, signed up for the Sportsman 500 Intermediate, I'll probably have my hands full of snarling CZ's!

Not much progress for the rest of this week, too many honey do's! Next week I plan to be out in the shop every night, should make a ton of progress, so stay tuned....
Yes,
Getting rid of the CV's will help, but I was wondering if you had done any other work to the engine?

never2old4fun screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 05:00 PM Reason: add word
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #44
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

stock motor

Pretty sure the motor is bone stock, I do plan a full rebuild this winter with 400 kit and some other goodies. Any suggestions? I see the road race guys have some neat stuff, it looks like pow roll no longer does the 350 twin parts though.

Also planning to freshen up Oregon Coast's 350 motor, but he has told me he wants to keep it stock for reliability in Baja.

Anyone know where to get TT pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2old4fun View Post
Yes,
Getting rid of the CV's will help, but I was wondering if you had done any other work to the engine?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #45
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty sure the motor is bone stock, I do plan a full rebuild this winter with 400 kit and some other goodies. Any suggestions? I see the road race guys have some neat stuff, it looks like pow roll no longer does the 350 twin parts though.

Also planning to freshen up Oregon Coast's 350 motor, but he has told me he wants to keep it stock for reliability in Baja.

Anyone know where to get TT pipes?
It's sad that Powroll doesn't make hop ups for the 350 anymore.
That TT/ scrambles flattracker I built had there 375cc kit with the 12.5 to 1 pistons in it and there 12,000 RPM cam.
You might try Mega Cycle for a cam, I understand they will grind a wilder cam for the SL 175's I'm working on.
Also Honda Twins. net may have some info for you, too.