Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #91
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
What software package are you doing your design work in? I use NX at work and solidworks at home.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #92
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post

I'll be making it so that I can run the bike with the whole assembly removed and stock headlight or just the fairing/lights mounted to the forks. I'll start with a Voyager that'll be staying on for all configs, the rest will bolt on and off depending on what type of riding I'm doing.

Like your design. How are you planning to make the fairings or have you got some in mind?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #93
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,063
Hey Seth, I use SolidWorks w/ a plugin CamWorks for cutting. Need any of the models?

TM, the fairing when I get done with the design I'll proto w/fiberglass, then make a plastic injection mold, but that's only because that's what I do. Need to make sure the lights will be available for a while first.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #94
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Hey Seth, I use SolidWorks w/ a plugin CamWorks for cutting. Need any of the models?

TM, the fairing when I get done with the design I'll proto w/fiberglass, then make a plastic injection mold, but that's only because that's what I do. Need to make sure the lights will be available for a while first.
Wow, it's looking great Paul!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #95
M.R.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
[QUOTE=lastplace;16049072]Cool. Let me know how it goes. Between me and our Rally School bikes and a few that have already gone to rallies, these have done many thousands of hard miles and the feedback has been very good.

Well it worked fine. So good in fact I will probably use it on Safari. I moved the roadbook further back into the clamps so it didn't sit so high or so far out. A very cost effective option. Thanks Charlie

Cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #96
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

So last week I decided to get going on making the frame brackets, after that most of the rest of the parts would be cake. Well that was a disaster, all I ended up learning was that I suck at sheet metal work. So plan b was to machine it from billet. I should have done this from the beginning for the prototype.

Here it is, it comes in at a little less then 1.5lbs. If I had really put some thought into it and ran it through FEA, I could have cut that in half.

Hogged out inside of part.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #97
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
So last week I decided to get going on making the frame brackets, after that most of the rest of the parts would be cake. Well that was a disaster, all I ended up learning was that I suck at sheet metal work. So plan b was to machine it from billet. I should have done this from the beginning for the prototype.

Here it is, it comes in at a little less then 1.5lbs. If I had really put some thought into it and ran it through FEA, I could have cut that in half.

Hogged out inside of part.

Damn dude, work of art! Is it easier to mill it from a big chunk of billet, or can you make two halves and have them welded? Not second guessing, just wondering for my own personal growth
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #98
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Nice work!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #99
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
Nice work Paul!

Are you going to be at the Wolfman Luggage open house?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #100
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Damn dude, work of art! Is it easier to mill it from a big chunk of billet, or can you make two halves and have them welded? Not second guessing, just wondering for my own personal growth
Hey Aaron, I think if I could bend a part as easy as cut them it would be a whole lot better, I made 4 blanks, screwed the first up with too tight a radius and cracked the bend, 2nd came out good, 3rd and 4th were to be mirror image of the good one. Do you have any idea how frustrating and tough it is to try and get them to match. I gave up before throwing a temper tantrum.
This is what they should have looked like, the blanks weighed in at just over 1/2lb ea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Are you going to be at the Wolfman Luggage open house?
Duke, good chance I'll make it, it'd be good to see you again. Show support for Eric and see the new shop more and it would also be great to meet Ned and pick his brain.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #101
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

So here it is with the side brackets bolted up,

and with the roadbook and HID components.

The design morphed again once I committed to the billet head piece, with it boxed and ribbed I just went with single flat sides that don't need much in the way of reinforcing and can be easily changed and remade to tweak the design in.

With any luck, today I'll weld the mounting brackets up to the bike and get the assembly bolted up.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #102
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
I like the way that billet version is shaping up. Nice work!
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #103
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

I wanted to practice before welding a bracket onto my CRF so I used my guinea Pig. Problem is it has a near perfect powder coat job, so I've been putting it off. Tacked it in place, btw this took 3 trys placing it and breaking the weld to move it just a tad. It's actually harder then you think to get the whole assembly square with the world.

Pull off the bracket and weld it up

Then I've been meaning to weld a new stop in for USD forks, needed more then ever now so they don't whack the tower.

The tower in place,

The new cad design

Next the light mounts then the fairing.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #104
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Hey Aaron, I think if I could bend a part as easy as cut them it would be a whole lot better, I made 4 blanks, screwed the first up with too tight a radius and cracked the bend, 2nd came out good, 3rd and 4th were to be mirror image of the good one. Do you have any idea how frustrating and tough it is to try and get them to match. I gave up before throwing a temper tantrum.
This is what they should have looked like, the blanks weighed in at just over 1/2lb ea.

Duke, good chance I'll make it, it'd be good to see you again. Show support for Eric and see the new shop more and it would also be great to meet Ned and pick his brain.
I totally understand, I did some tin knocking in a past life Looking good man!

*edit* I wonder if you could have some flat stock waterjet cut and mark the bend points with little dots and find a good strong press. Just a thought.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #105
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,191

I know.. I knoow touratec schmuratec.. but its what I have for now.. MD is in the works.

fully adjustable up and down.. My riding partner Cevquit is a master!!
I will post more when it is apart and finished off with some cleaning up...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote