ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #91
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
What software package are you doing your design work in? I use NX at work and solidworks at home.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #92
tileman
Studly Adventurer
 
tileman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, OZ
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post


I'll be making it so that I can run the bike with the whole assembly removed and stock headlight or just the fairing/lights mounted to the forks. I'll start with a Voyager that'll be staying on for all configs, the rest will bolt on and off depending on what type of riding I'm doing.


Like your design. How are you planning to make the fairings or have you got some in mind?
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #93
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,063
Hey Seth, I use SolidWorks w/ a plugin CamWorks for cutting. Need any of the models?

TM, the fairing when I get done with the design I'll proto w/fiberglass, then make a plastic injection mold, but that's only because that's what I do. Need to make sure the lights will be available for a while first.
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #94
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Hey Seth, I use SolidWorks w/ a plugin CamWorks for cutting. Need any of the models?

TM, the fairing when I get done with the design I'll proto w/fiberglass, then make a plastic injection mold, but that's only because that's what I do. Need to make sure the lights will be available for a while first.
Wow, it's looking great Paul!
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #95
M.R.
Studly Adventurer
 
M.R.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Vic
Oddometer: 885
[QUOTE=lastplace;16049072]Cool. Let me know how it goes. Between me and our Rally School bikes and a few that have already gone to rallies, these have done many thousands of hard miles and the feedback has been very good.


Well it worked fine. So good in fact I will probably use it on Safari. I moved the roadbook further back into the clamps so it didn't sit so high or so far out. A very cost effective option. Thanks Charlie

Cheers
__________________
If a man does his best, what else is there?
M.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #96
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,063
So last week I decided to get going on making the frame brackets, after that most of the rest of the parts would be cake. Well that was a disaster, all I ended up learning was that I suck at sheet metal work. So plan b was to machine it from billet. I should have done this from the beginning for the prototype.

Here it is, it comes in at a little less then 1.5lbs. If I had really put some thought into it and ran it through FEA, I could have cut that in half.





Hogged out inside of part.

__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #97
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
So last week I decided to get going on making the frame brackets, after that most of the rest of the parts would be cake. Well that was a disaster, all I ended up learning was that I suck at sheet metal work. So plan b was to machine it from billet. I should have done this from the beginning for the prototype.

Here it is, it comes in at a little less then 1.5lbs. If I had really put some thought into it and ran it through FEA, I could have cut that in half.





Hogged out inside of part.

Damn dude, work of art! Is it easier to mill it from a big chunk of billet, or can you make two halves and have them welded? Not second guessing, just wondering for my own personal growth
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #98
schattat
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Nice work!
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #99
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,461
Nice work Paul!

Are you going to be at the Wolfman Luggage open house?
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #100
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Damn dude, work of art! Is it easier to mill it from a big chunk of billet, or can you make two halves and have them welded? Not second guessing, just wondering for my own personal growth
Hey Aaron, I think if I could bend a part as easy as cut them it would be a whole lot better, I made 4 blanks, screwed the first up with too tight a radius and cracked the bend, 2nd came out good, 3rd and 4th were to be mirror image of the good one. Do you have any idea how frustrating and tough it is to try and get them to match. I gave up before throwing a temper tantrum.
This is what they should have looked like, the blanks weighed in at just over 1/2lb ea.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Are you going to be at the Wolfman Luggage open house?
Duke, good chance I'll make it, it'd be good to see you again. Show support for Eric and see the new shop more and it would also be great to meet Ned and pick his brain.
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #101
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,063
So here it is with the side brackets bolted up,





and with the roadbook and HID components.







The design morphed again once I committed to the billet head piece, with it boxed and ribbed I just went with single flat sides that don't need much in the way of reinforcing and can be easily changed and remade to tweak the design in.

With any luck, today I'll weld the mounting brackets up to the bike and get the assembly bolted up.
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #102
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer
 
DaveRMS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: San Rafael, CA
Oddometer: 1,039
I like the way that billet version is shaping up. Nice work!
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #103
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,063
I wanted to practice before welding a bracket onto my CRF so I used my guinea Pig. Problem is it has a near perfect powder coat job, so I've been putting it off. Tacked it in place, btw this took 3 trys placing it and breaking the weld to move it just a tad. It's actually harder then you think to get the whole assembly square with the world.



Pull off the bracket and weld it up



Then I've been meaning to weld a new stop in for USD forks, needed more then ever now so they don't whack the tower.



The tower in place,





The new cad design



Next the light mounts then the fairing.
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #104
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Hey Aaron, I think if I could bend a part as easy as cut them it would be a whole lot better, I made 4 blanks, screwed the first up with too tight a radius and cracked the bend, 2nd came out good, 3rd and 4th were to be mirror image of the good one. Do you have any idea how frustrating and tough it is to try and get them to match. I gave up before throwing a temper tantrum.
This is what they should have looked like, the blanks weighed in at just over 1/2lb ea.





Duke, good chance I'll make it, it'd be good to see you again. Show support for Eric and see the new shop more and it would also be great to meet Ned and pick his brain.
I totally understand, I did some tin knocking in a past life Looking good man!

*edit* I wonder if you could have some flat stock waterjet cut and mark the bend points with little dots and find a good strong press. Just a thought.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #105
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,191


I know.. I knoow touratec schmuratec.. but its what I have for now.. MD is in the works.





fully adjustable up and down.. My riding partner Cevquit is a master!!
I will post more when it is apart and finished off with some cleaning up...
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014