Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #76
TrentW
MMmmmm....

Oddometer: 86
Fitted mine last week. It didn't work at first even though it was all wired up correctly etc.

After a couple of emails back and forth with Dr Bean, we figured out that the problem was caused by the studs and the holes in the circuit board not lining up correctly.
I could just get the retaining screws in, but it must have caused some pressure on the circuit board which caused problems with the optical sensor.

To fix it, I simply swapped the studs (left to right hole, right to left hole) and the circuit board holes lined up correctly. Once I had it reassembled, the pump worked OK.

So the moral is to make sure the screws fit easily into the circuit board with no side pressure.

Here's a pic of how it was before I swapped the studs - CP, feel free to include it in your instructions to show what not to do...

TrentW screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 11:37 PM
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #77
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I installed the kit in my original pump yesterday. All went very well. The Doc's pdf is very well done, left little to photograph during my install, but I did document a few intermediate steps. I lucked out and got the studs right the first time I'll include a comment in my writeup for those who aren't so lucky. I'm not installing the pump at this time as I'm headed for Canada today and I usually try to avoid making changes to my bike before a long ride. I'm packing the Bean-modded pump JIK my Facet poops out
BTW, CB is my proof reader also

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #78
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Oddometer: 103
The holes in de PCB are exactly aligned with the ones in the pump, but since the thread in the pump is so minimal, sometimes the studs tent to tilt very slightly (e.g. if the washers aren't perfectly seated): on the topside this quickly makes a mm difference. Even that is usually not a problem, if you don't tighten 1 screw first, and then try to get in the other screw (which you should never do mounting anything; always get all bolts and screws in, then tighten them).

I haven't seen it as extreme is this, and I have done many myself... but for everything there is a first time :-).

Thanks for the pictures, and indeed a good tip: Everything SHOULD fit without force or bending anything... IF not, have a close look, are the studs nicely parallel etc.
Dr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #79
jhakkane
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Received and installed my Dr. Bean mod kit

The kind doc Bean mailed me a kit end of last week; arrived today in good health. Immediately off to the garage for an evening install (+ can of cold beer).

I decided to do the mod without removing the fuel lines, as the factory hose fasteners seemed pretty pro and I don't have a tool to pinch in new ones. If ever the pump would need fixing on the road (actually off the road, well u know what I mean) it would probably be done in a similar fashion, so this also served as a practice session. When doing the mod in this way it helps to have a friend close by, as an extra hand was useful in the under-the-bike-soldering phase. But, at gunpoint, I'm confident I could have done it just by myself.

Dr. Bean's instructions are very good, especially I appreciated the clear instructions on where exactly to cut the wires. And the kit itself just radiates reliability compared to the OEM lump of moving stamped metal parts and sparks. I only had one minor problem in making the mod (this maybe should be mentioned in the instructions): before reinstalling the modified pump to its original location, it's good to check if there might be a willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) lodged in the left side of the front cylinder, the same space where the fuel pump cable passes. If there is, as in my case , it may have yanked the cable connector upwards leaving the cable too tight for comfortable pump reinstallment. Remove the bird and gently coax the connector a centimeter or two towards the pump.

The old contacts were still reasonably good after 23,000km, although some pitting could be seen. Judging from the look, I'd guess they might have endured another 10-20,000km, but hard to say of course.

And, oh yes, the pump works like solid-state magic! I really don't expect ever having to be under my bike, on or off the road, for fuel pump reasons. So I guess the practice was in vain...
Thanks Dr. Bean, simply excellent stuff!!!
Attached Images

jhakkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #80
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Got 2 units today. Less than a week from Europe to So Cal. Pretty amazing to me.

Thx, Dr.

Marty
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #81
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

so.. US shipping with seems to work fine: 8 out of 8 arrived without problems within approximately 1 week.

for EU shipping I use full tracking: just little more expensive, but fully traceable and insured.

again: IF you want to order a kit, please write me a PM on this forum (only)

and please do write you experience with it here.. I will try to improve it where possible.

grts
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #82
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Received my kit last week via fmfpunk
Performed the pump surgery over the weekend and bench tested with an old battery... tooka~tooka~tooka~tooka~tooka

I've been running a Facet for the last couple years, but i'll swap the modified stock pump back when convenient.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #83
wantok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Dr Bean kit for Oz

Gday Dr Bean

I'd like to install one of your kits as well. I'm in Darwin, Australia & sent you a pm regarding this.
Many Thanks

Nick
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #84
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

PM's/mail send.

my kit is now running in Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, Swiss, Germany, Finland, UK, USA (many), New-Zealand ...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #85
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Installed my Dr Bean pump kit a fortnight back. Bike's been running without problem since.

Points were pretty much shagged and I don't think they'd have lasted much longer. Bike only has 11k miles.

Instructions were easy to follow:

I made it more difficult because I decided to do the install with the pump still in place and I haven't soldered anything since I was in school about 19 years ago! But, I'm confident I got good sturdy contacts which will last well.

It was quite tricky to get the cap back on with the grommet in the right place but I made it easier by trimming back about an inch of the plastic sheath to give some room to maneuver

All looking good. Cheers Dr Bean

ACP screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 05:55 AM Reason: broken image links
ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #86
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bean View Post
PM's/mail send.

my kit is now running in Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, Swiss, Germany, Finland, UK, USA (many), New-Zealand ...
I have my kits in Bosnia, Canada, and Costa Rica and what you said except no Finland or Italy. Not a challange just an observation

Nice kit good job Dr Bean
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #87
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,175
How's it work in the heat

I didn't go back through the whole thread, but I recall Dr. Bean wanted to know how the fuel pump worked in the heat. I rode to Laguna Seca to watch MotoGP and when I rode back home this afternoon, it was 108f (42C) for the last 45 minutes of a 6+ hour ride. Worked great and I didn't notice any difference in the heat vs. cooler weather
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #88
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

yes, super feedback!

we don't get that type of heat over here.
I also sold some in Greece and italy: gets hot there too.

good to hear. thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #89
slammer218
Slammer

Oddometer: 121
Laugh Got Gas

Got my part on Monday , installed on Tuesday, first ride on Wednesday. The bike now starts much easier then before, seems like it iwaiting to run. rode it around the property for a few miles just to make sure it worked, did not want to push it. It worried me at first, when it tested it before install it only pumped 5 times. I tryed it again and the same thing but it was working, Now for the real test this weekend. A long needed camping trip and some dirt fun.
slammer218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #90
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer218 View Post
Got my part on Monday , installed on Tuesday, first ride on Wednesday. The bike now starts much easier then before, seems like it iwaiting to run. rode it around the property for a few miles just to make sure it worked, did not want to push it. It worried me at first, when it tested it before install it only pumped 5 times. I tryed it again and the same thing but it was working, Now for the real test this weekend. A long needed camping trip and some dirt fun.
2 things stop the pump from plopping:
- the ECU of the lc8 switches it of after 3-5 seconds when the engine is not running
- when the fuelpressure is enough (carb is full) the pump isn't 'loosing' the fuel any more and slows down pumping to the very minimum (less then 1x per second)

If you test it with a clip-on fuel-line, line the SMT has, it only plops 2-3x.

grts