User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Just over fifteen miles...

Well gotta get a bike over from Long Beach to my place in Torrance. Just fifteen miles taking surface streets, no freeways. Try not to attract any cops because the bike might have an outstanding ticket (exhaust) and I forgot my wallet at home.

Oh yeah, it's the first time I've ridden a Harley.

Oh, and a suicide clutch. The jockey shift is a pair of vice grips attached to the gearbox.

They fell off three times.

I melted my right boot on the pipe.

My left foot kept rubbing against the open primary.

The rear brake master was hanging on the floor when I picked it up. I lashed it on and kinda got to the pedal to stay up. It fell down about three miles in. I lashed it up with a piece of road debris and that held for about ten miles, then I secured it with a bit of electric tape that Steve used to hold his tool bag shut.

Did I mention the suicide clutch? Yeah man, that fucker is a hair trigger. I think I'm pretty good at working a clutch and it took me about five minutes to get that thing going without stalling it.

But, I made it home. Man those hardtails are a lot different than my longish travel suspension in my KLR! Just riding that thing was an adventure. Get started from a stop with the hair clutch and then reach down against the engine and fish around for those vice grips, slam that bitch into second and listen to that Supertrapp exhaust purr!

I got her home and sat outside drinking a beer or two looking at it, finding both flaws and beautiful lines and taking some crappy photos (remember, it's after midnight!).

Name:  IMG_1890.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  138.6 KB

After spending some time nursing the beers and caressing the bike I pulled her into the garage next to my KLR and closed the door. Once I closed the door I said "Goodbye Steve" and sat down in my motorcycle boots and cried.

See Steve was my step dad. Life long Harley guy that loved riding the most impractical machines. See two days ago Steve fell down, broke his neck and died. I knew he was dead. I was completely aware of it, I knew that he might die one day, after a motorcycle crash a few years back he got a case of MRSA, didn't notice it for about a year. It settled in his neck and ate away a couple vertebra. He went to the doctor for some pain and found that his head was barely attached to this shoulders, he spent the next few months in a Halo.

His doctor said no more bikes. Steve respected that about until he got the halo off then he was back on the bike. Since that issue he said that he was not going to die in a motorcycle wreck. He said he was not going to die in a fender bender in somebody's cage (just an airbag could have killed him). No, he said he was going to slip and fall and break his neck. As near as we can tell Steve slipped and fell and broke his neck. I found out about this yesterday. I knew I was in shock but going and getting his bike and bringing it home drove it in. Steve's gone. The bike will stay with me until the family figures the legal stuff out. Maybe it will stay with me longer. I'll make sure Steve's happiness is safe and no low-life asshole steals it for as long as I have control of it.

Goodbye Steve.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,471
RIP Steve
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
A very nice requiem, sorry for your loss.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
RIP and Godspeed Steve.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
stinkyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
hey, isn't that a crown vic in the background?? I think you may have brought the cops home with you...........
stinkyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyrider View Post
hey, isn't that a crown vic in the background?? I think you may have brought the cops home with you...........
Yup, ex-cop car with the blown transmission to prove it! Bought it as a cheap family car, plan on selling it once I take care of the transmission.

Maybe I should do a photo shoot of the cop car and the outlaw bike first.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
momanor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
rip and godspeed steve.
+1
momanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Very honorable and respectful post.

I tip my hat and offer my condolences.

Well done, sir.
guitarhack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
Very honorable and respectful post.

I tip my hat and offer my condolences.

Well done, sir.

This.

I wish the best for you & your family in this tough time.
nukemm is offline   Reply With Quote