Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Maiden Voyage: 1700 Miles Before the Journey Actually Begins

First of all this is my first time posting on here so if it is a bit of a mess, sorry.

So this adventure began a few months ago with an email from my husband. He sent me an email with a picture of a red Ural gear-up. He decided to buy me a Ural while he's caught in a sand storm some where. I was a bit shocked because I was planning on buying one next year. I had been saying, for a while now, that I had lost my sense of adventure. I never do anything spontaneous anymore. This fueled the decision to fly to Boston, pick up the bike and ride it back to North Carolina. Problem is he can't do it with me. I hope this report helps him feel like he is part of the fun.

When I told my parents what I was going to do they decided to join me. This is where the 1,700 miles comes from. How many parents would drive that far just to ride along with their kid on their first ride? Well, mine did. They left Oklahoma early Friday morning. The first nights stop was in Effingham, IL. Saturday night's stop was in Akron, OH. They stopped in Wilkes-Barre, PA Sunday night and then met me in Boxborough, MA on Monday. Crazy part of the day. I only flew from RDU to Boston and they beat me to the hotel by 4 hours. So they got to see my new ride, set on it, take pictures of it and meet the side car instructor. Of course, as my luck would have it, I made it to Boxborough after they closed so I will just have to wait until tomorrow to see the bike.

My parents ride is a 2002 Ultra Classic Harley trike. I included a picture (hope it shows up). They are pulling a trailer that a friend made for his bike for long rides.

We also pick up one of my German brothers (my parents use to host exchange students) from Boston-Logan airport tomorrow to join us for the journey.

Tomorrow morning I have side car driving lessons, wander around the local area getting use to Boris (the Ural) and then on to our family adventure we will go. We have no real plan other than to make it to North Carolina by August 10. Oh and my mom and I love wine so hopefully we can ride some of the Blue Ridge Parkway to one of my favorite wine stops (Chateau Morrisette http://www.thedogs.com/). Dad just had a brainstorm...if we leave in the morning we can make it to Sturgis in time to the Big Event. I think he is out voted on this one. We will stick to the east coast. Maybe we will see some historic light houses on the outer banks of NC and go deep sea fishing.

For all you guys that drive sidecars, I may be asking for tips after tomorrow. So tune in for the trip and hopefully pictures.
Attached Images

MrsDonkeys screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 02:53 PM Reason: Fix Title
MrsDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote