User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
It's true; PA is beautiful!
Been through many times before but it's not the same traveling I-81 and I-78 And the memories of miles and miles of road construction/repair many years ago still haunt me....
The back roads in the mountains rule!

Here's a few more pics of the tire & bike damage:

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
It was new when I installed it five days and a few hundred miles before this happened.
it was made in the 18th week of 2009. been sitting around awhile.

e-mail photos to Avon Mfg.

http://www.avonmoto.com/contact-us

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,309
That's less than 2 years old. Shouldn't have happened. +1 on sending the info to Avon along with the purchase date/receipt. I suspect they will want the tire back and will replace it with a new one. Don't know if they will cover the damage to the bike though. Glad you stopped safely and made it home without too much trouble.

J
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

+1 on talking to Avon. I agree this shouldn't have happened. There have been times when I rode the pi$$ out of these same model tires and they held up fine but in this case I was taking it easy the whole time, on good surfaces, etc. It had to be some inadvertant defect in the manufacturing stage.

I started with the Avonmoto (Avon Tyres North America) folks. They referred me to Cooper Tire and Rubber damage claims. After talking to and sending my info to Pam, she realized it had to go back to the Avonmoto (she called them Mickey Thompson) folks. Jeremy called and left me a message and I called Jeremy and left him a message. So we'll see.
I was going to report on this when I had something more concrete.
I still will.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #20
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,124
Best of luck!
Get your waders out, you will need them.
Determination should win in the end.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #21
Mechanoligist
Just along for the ride

Oddometer: 115

I am sure glad your both ok! Nice job getting that thing stop! They should definitely pony up for the tire and damage. I love that bike! I had one many years ago same color and all. Wish I never let it go! Good luck and keep us informed.
Mechanoligist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #22
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
I suggest you write letters (not email)to the heads of the place you bought the tire, the importer, and the manufacturer. Include photographs. Include a list of the damaged pieces from your bike and the cost to repair. You might want to pull these photos from the internet as a gesture of good faith. Ask them to make the situation right.

Good luck.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 823
Check with Raven over at ST-Owners with a similar incident.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...en-Down-But-OK

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...er-belt....%29

Glad to see you survived.

Doc
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Check with Raven over at ST-Owners with a similar incident.... Glad to see you survived. Doc
Thanks Doc! That's interesting that you posted that because I found Raven's thread along with this one:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-II-rear-tires
about the time I decided to make my post. I haven't seen the second one you posted yet, though.
Similar tire, the Azaro and the Storm. I run a Storm on the front and Azaro on the back because those are the series where the proper sizes for my bike are made.

Speaking of proper.... I'm told Avon "doesn't reccomend" those tires for my bike. I take that to mean that they fail to reccommend them, not that they recommend not using them. I believe it's because when my bike was made, the only thing available in motorcycle tires was bias ply, no radials. And to be on the safe side, we can only reccommend what the bike was designed to use. Never mind it handles so much better with radials.