Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 582
7 Ride the OBDR - (Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route)

This thread will catolog our collective experiences of riding the OBDR (it had better be 'collective' because I'm not the greatest writer and if it's left entirely up to me this thread is going to be short!). The ride took place during the last week of July 2011. We're going to try and detail the ride one day at a time (sort of) chipping in with our own personal experiences. First, let me just introduce the cast of Characters;
Attached Images

s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Wednesday - 20th July 2011

Wednesday - 20th July 2011

Tomorrow I am supposed to be meeting John, Ernie and Jesse at Johns house in Boring so that we can start making our way down to the start of the OBDR just south of Lakeview Oregon. But, the weekend has been long (rebuilding the top end of my KLR600 I was still 'thinking' about using for the OBDR until it's kickstand snapped in half on Monday morning....guess it will have to be the new Hesky TE630 after all) and to put it bluntly work has just been shit recently. I'm tired, the Husky needed 'another' new tire before the trip (the first new one was faulty) which I only just got fitted (thanks CrazyBrit), so I decide Thursday will be a vacation day too. I book the extra day off work and go home and just kind of chill for the evening, bike packing can wait until tomorrow I'm not meeting the others until 4:00pm and that should be plenty of time to make the campground at Mckenzie Bridge before sundown.

Meanwhile...some of the others had already started to make there way down to Lakeview...(guys this is where you start to chime in with you tale of Wednesday 20th).

Cheers S1
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
timbanditos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wednesday, I drove 272 miles from Renton, WA to Pendleton, OR in my truck hauling my gear. Met up with James in Pendleton around 2:30, we loaded up and left around 3:00 or 3:30pm. We made about 164 miles on slab to meet up with Jeff waiting patiently by his 990 with a chair and some tunes cranking on his phone. We found a sweet little camp site and setup for the night. A little talk about politics and religion, and of course a lot of talk about the trip and the perfect weather/riding we were experiencing already.
timbanditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Actually it was Thursday the 21st when Ryan and I headed down to meet Jeff. I got off work at 2:30 pm went home, put the gear on my bike, kissed the biscuit burner goodbye and hit the slab. There were some fun twistys on the way down. We rode highway 395 to below Seneca, stopping to eat in John Day.
mrmagoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
First, let me just introduce the cast of Characters;
Christ, what a motley crew
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
I met Jesse in Camas (after riding down from Seattle) and we took a spin out to Multnomah Falls on the way to asrvivors house.
First day out we are ready to rack up miles. No dirt on our bikes!

John, Mark Jesse & I ride 140 miles from 4:00 pm at Boring to McKenzie Bridge to camp.

First night out we fight off pain before there is pain.

We avert pain.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Meeting the crew

Well let me start by saying it took 4 hours to get that photo of mark looking like n adventure stud. If you only knew what we went thru tom get that pix.. I mean how vane.
So wed night I'm packing. Oh bullshit I didn't pack until Thursday morning. Wed night I was drinking captain and coke pretending I knew what I needed on the trip. Thinking, am I gonna like everyone or not. Well to answer that quickly, I'd say it was a perfect crew. We spent 6 nights together and all day romping thru the desert and wilderness and not a sour note was made by anyone. Thank you guys for being a great group. Liked every one of ya.
So Thursday roles around and I start packing, mark says bring the extra gas cans. Shit that's a lot of weight. So I pawn of the emergency gas to Jeff, he has a liter can in his hiding place. Perfect. Sorry mark, the extra weight would have screwed me I think. Gas cans left behind, I'm packed and ready. Jeff and Jesse show up about 3pm mark roles in around 4, and we are off. It was a perfect crew, we had ernies' plan for riding down and we were off. Ernie can plan a ride in my book any day, it was a great route. First night uneventful, camping is always fun with a group of good people. I'll stop here and let someone else carry on. Get ready the days only get sunnier and brighter.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
s1marks OP
Mercedes

To Mackenzie Bridge

Thursday 21st July (already)
(great...we already don't know what day it is...off to a great start! )

Thursday I get packed and the bike loaded and I'm looking at the Bike thinking perhaps I shouldv'e got some new bags, my throwover panniers are 25 years old and a little worse for wear having spent 12 years of their sorry lives in cold damp storage. Still, I bleached them a couple of summers ago when I dug them out and they've only got to hold my food and my underwear. Kind of handy throwover panniers have 2 bags to kind of seperate things out a bit.

Come time to leave and ride to John's and I'm starting to panic getting crap together and checking tire pressures, oil levels, gas, bags remembering last minute stuff and realizing I am packed to the hilt even though my plan was to travel as light as possible. I get to John's at 4.00pm and we roll off shortly after. The evening turns cold and I'm sure I have made the right decision to bring my Fieldsheer Adventure jacket rather then my mesh setup. It was pretty well the last time I wore that jacket 'zipped up' all the way for the entire trip but it was a lot easier than having to deal with a body armour, mesh and a waterproof.

John is right by the way. I like that picture, because normally I don't look studly and adventurly in photos. But, in that one I do. Completely studly and adventurely.

We find the camp at Mackenzie bridge and setup quickly in one of the last spaces available. It's late and we forget to pay and fill in the envelope for our camp site. We'll pay for that carelessness in the morning.

I took this picture of John trying to look like an adventure stud, but this is taken at the begining of the trip and he is still a mere boy at this time and his 1930's boy scout hat, 2 sizes too small, doesn't help him none.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Hey that hat has mosquito repellant built in. And it wasn't to small my head was just too big.
Also that shot of mark only took one try, it just happened to be after he spent a week on the obdr. And that makes him a studly adventurer in my book.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Chef Jeff

I like that better than "Camp Bitch", like I was expecting

Thanks all, for a great adventure!
Jungle man and I are still out doing our thing, finding little used two-track and staying away from people.

Last night we spent above Lake Coeur D'Alene in "Lot #7" of the "Gotham Bay Estates", a big development of 1-3 acre homesites cut out of the Forest above the lake.

Made for a GREAT campspot with a view

Writing this on my 'Droid, and all my good pics are on my camera, and that'll have to wait until our return.

What a ride
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post

I took this picture of John trying to look like an adventure stud, but this is taken at the begining of the trip and he is still a mere boy at this time and his 1930's boy scout hat, 2 sizes too small, doesn't help him none.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

First Night

So we leave my house ready for adventure. Oh boy are we ready. We drive some hours on pavement and end up at a very nice campground. Ernie did us well on this one. Only thing Ernie didn't tell us about was the hour we would have to deal with the camp host in the morning learning his life story. So over coffee in the morning we listened to a 65 year old man talk about his camp host duties over the past 10 years.

We did enjoy being next to one of the few restrooms we would see on this trip. More about that later. Restroom availability that is. It was a good nights rest and I think we underestimated how nice it really was. It was a good start no issues, no flats, no breakdowns and no reason to worry, YET.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Ohhhhhhhh this is going to be good. Now about all those studly pictures -- - - from this woman's point of view all of you are most certainly studly and adventurly

Your group scored with having A.J. along for camp chef and the rest of the group is nothing but fun.

Subscribed and looking forward to the rest of the stoy.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Ohhhhhhhh this is going to be good. Now about all those studly pictures -- - - from this woman's point of view all of you are most certainly studly and adventurly

Your group scored with having A.J. along for camp chef and the rest of the group is nothing but fun.

Subscribed and looking forward to the rest of the stoy.
Why Thank You LB. I even had time to get something for you, you are always on our minds ya know. Here ya go....John
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Why Thank You LB. I even had time to get something for you, you are always on our minds ya know. Here ya go....John
And Another out of focus a little. Still thinkin about ya
Attached Images