Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #166
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
And Pete: where are the pictures of your new addition?

It's still in a warehouse in DC. I need to get it here.

I've been busy (Still haven't told the wife).

So...

How about a photo shoot of all FIVE of your buells together.

I've finally got my CR close to sorted the way I want. I'll snap some pics shortly.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #167
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete™ View Post
I've been busy (Still haven't told the wife)
Video when you do it.

Quote:
How about a photo shoot of all FIVE of your buells together.
This will only be FOUR. Don't make it worse than it sounds (edit: it just dawned on me that you're talking about the Bakersfield bike...can't happen).

Donkey Hotey screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 06:21 PM
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #168
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Well Steve, do you want a white one? Or other color?

Psst (not an S1W but close enough and a smokin' price): http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2481184851.html

Ironically, I think the coolest things about the S1W are the stock muffler (one-year, S1W and S3 only) and (strangely) the original hugger/license plate mount (it's growing on me). The brushed stainless on that muffler is purty.
Great price on the X1, but I'd like to stick with the S1W, either the Liberace version, or nuclear orange/blue. I really shouldn't buy anything for a while as I'm testing my wife's patience. Of course, that's never stopped me before!

Let us know when you get the Westwind! I rode mine up to Alice's restaurant yesterday to check out the Motus. The more I ride the RS1200, the more I like it!

-steve
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #169
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

I didn't hear from the seller for most of the day and he wasn't answering his phone. The dread of thinking that it sold and the fact that Murgatroid cross posted it to Badweb had me worried (take a bow ).

The seller finally called. Not sold. It is now.

As much as it seems like it, this wasn't really an impulse-buy. It had been listed for a long time on the Los Angeles CL, starting at $11,900 IIRC. It got to $10K, held for awhile, then disappeared. I assumed it had sold. Over and over, I said, "Damn, I wish I could afford that thing." When it sold, I had some regrets but the price softened the blow (too much to just park it most of its life). I guess I got a second chance.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #170
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Somebody needs to check this one out:

http://owensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/2506695660.html

Quote:
1995 BUELL 1200RS WITH 1203 EVO HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTOR COLLECTOR BIKE MADE BY RONNIE BUELL HIMSELF
#17 OF 320 VERY VERY LOW MILES FOR INFORMATION OR TO SEE BIKE CALL 270-903-2641
If this guy thinks Ronnie Buell made it himself, maybe the guy got the year wrong too. It sounds like an RS by the supposed production numbers and model description.

(yeah, I haven't paid for the current one yet and I'm still surfing Craigslist )
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #171
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
The seller finally called. Not sold. It is now.

I've got my eye on this beastie:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2471348453.html

dunno why.

But I'd really like something in a loud and proud Buell paint.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #172
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:

I've got my eye on this beastie:
Yup. I wish I understood all the 'special' graphics jobs they did. Everywhere you look there are X1s that are, "One of 360 bikes sold with the footpegs installed upside down" or "one of 200 sold with Taiwanese mirrors instead of the mainland Chinese ones!".

IIRC there were the red/white-stripe, blue/white-stripe, the Millenium, the Carbon-Fiber, the White Lightning (with the blue ceramic coating on the header) and others I can't even remember.

If anybody in the midwest is interested, there's an '89 RS1200 on Ebay right now in Topeka, Kansas. Being a 1989, it has the earlier 4-speed engine, the Marzocchi forks, twin front disks (though they are PM calipers, not the Buell cast ones) and probably has the ACT anti-dive system I posted about earlier.

According to the production numbers on Badweb, it's one of seven made in 1989, though based on the PM calipers, it MUST be a 1990 (the Buell history book had plenty of pictures of RS1200s with Buell calipers).
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #173
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

It's done. The Westwind is home. I wish I could say it was all that I dreamed it could be but, getting it out in the sunlight before paying and getting a good look, I could finally see the things that still need attention.

It needs some TLC...as in TENDER loving care; nothing extreme. It's just that shiny bits of metal like to be rubbed every now and then and since this bike has been under a sheet most of its life, it's really needing some of that rubbing right now.

The footpeg end-caps were showing some very minor rust pits, a lot of fastener heads are showing light rust, ditto for the end of the front axle. The PM rims really need a good going over with the metal polish. I don't think the chain has ever been cleaned and I swear, this is probably the factory lube on it. It's turned to a hard wax and has to be picked off. Gunk degreaser didn't touch it. Every inch of semi-shiny metal has a haze of very minor corrosion (brake hose crimps, hard plumbing, front disk carrier, footpeg sideplates, etc. None of it is beyond polishing out but, it's gonna' take touching every square millimeter with fingers, 0000 steel wool and soap. Everything I've done that to in the hour I had tonight, responded very well and cleaned up as hoped.

I've got a tumbler and media that will return the cast parts to a nice, matte but bright finish. There are probably a lot of hours of disassembly, detailing and reassembly in this bikes near future.

These ARE the original tires: Dunlop K591F Sport Elites in (get this) 120/70-VB17 and 170/70-VB17...B...as in bias-ply. They're wide like radials but, these are from the age where both existed. Not quite sure what to do about the rear. The PM wheels are wide enough for radials but...what size to get? Go to a 180/60 to try to preserve the rolling radius or go 170/60 and accept the smaller tire appearance?

It also has one of the hand-sewn tool rolls in the tail section. According to Badweb, they were sewn by the wife of a guy who worked at the factory. I'm not sure if the knot had ever been undone before tonight (didn't realize it until I opened the roll and saw the shiny, brand-new tools still inside). The tools wore a couple of small holes in the fabric but, those Badweb guys are going to go nuts when they see this roll. They were hunting around for a clean one to make a run of replicas. They had all kinds of theories about fancy cloth that they were made from. This looks like it was made from remnants of dish cloth material (effective but, not nearly as cool as they were theorizing).

Yes, taking lots of pictures. I'm a little embarrassed to post pictures of the dirty bike. It already looks 100% better than the 30-or-so pictures that I shot while it was on the trailer.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #174
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Somebody needs to check this one out:

http://owensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/2506695660.html

If this guy thinks Ronnie Buell made it himself, maybe the guy got the year wrong too. It sounds like an RS by the supposed production numbers and model description.

(yeah, I haven't paid for the current one yet and I'm still surfing Craigslist )
Ronnie Buell, Erik's lesser-known red-headed step-brother.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #175
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Greg, please start a thread on badweb with pics. You have a rare bike in rare condition and there are a handful of us who would really love to follow along as you bring the bike back to life.

My bike also still has the original tool roll (I have Loki's bike). It was used as a template for a batch of new rolls that weremade by a badwebber in CA. I'm curious if yours looks like mine.

Steve
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #176
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Steve, you talk about this bike like yours is in some lesser condition. I saw the picture you posted over there. Yours looks to be in outstanding condition as well.

If'n you don't mind, I'll share that here for others:

I cropped a dozen photos last night but, my provider's FTP server is having issues. I already tagged onto the back end of the "Museum Piece??" thread on Badweb.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #177
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Greg,

Thanks for posting the pic. Mine is in good shape and has been well taken care of. I'm very happy with it. What makes yours so unique is the time capsule aspect of it. That's the collector's holy grail. To be honest, as much as I would have liked to have bought your RS1200, I don't have the time to go through it like it deserves.

I'm looking forward to your pictures.

Steve
Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #178
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

OK, I'm not going to litter this thread with an avalanche of personal bike pics. Here is a link to this bike's thread over on Badweatherbikers. Scroll down and you'll find a bunch of pictures.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...23/644048.html

Here's a teaser for those too lazy to click.

The RS1200...

...sure makes a nice companion to the S2.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #179
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Wow. That looks great.

Post more pics! It's what this thread is for.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #180
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

It's just a cross-post but, since this is home.