Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #826
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Hi, EBay 5050 SMD for handguards, nice and bright, I like them, also had a failure on one of my older style LED strips, I think the seller is D1_Concept but not 100% sure right now, there is a thread "daytime running lights in handguards"...

Many thanks! I'll check it out.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #827
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,585
Ordered a DDM Tuning Kit...

A week ago. At first I was excited I was buying from an American retailer. Figured CA to CO 3 days even ground shipping.

The tracking number says "China" and no expected arrival date.

How long did you guys who ordered DDM Tuning kits wait in shipping?
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #828
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16051067#post16051067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post
A week ago. At first I was excited I was buying from an American retailer. Figured CA to CO 3 days even ground shipping.

Charlie,

Im certainly no expert but I think all of them are made in China. I had a unit that was well documented on this site and they said they "shipped from China to keep overhead down." So far, my '09 GSA has given four HID units "the Heisman." I'm waiting now for another unit and, if it doesn't perform, I'm done with HID. I am running Eclipse HID lights in place of the OEM fogs and have had no problem at all. I spliced them into the original wiring, too.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #829
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
DDM shipped in ~1 week from China to US for me with tracking # provided, the relay harness (didn't use it) they shipped from their US location.
Quote:
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #830
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:

Mine was 2-3 weeks. I was getting to where I needed it and I called to see what the hold up was. They shipped from china that "day" then it was a week I believe. When I reworked the DRZ the DDM kits was the last of all my items to arrive. I think it was 4-5 weeks (max) for it.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #831
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Mine looks different. The black and wire near the bulbs have flat spade connector. Not the molded plastic connectors to fit on the H7 bulbs.

Also, there is some sort of black plastic ring on the back side of the bulbs. I don't see how that will work with the spring clip. I think they sent me the wrong kit.

I got two of these kits.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)

Charleetho screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 10:06 PM
Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #832
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
You connect the spade connectors in place of the molded plastic connector. Make sure you get polarity correct.

The ring you refer to on the bulb is packaging. You need to get the bulb out of the plastic protective casing.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #833
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Finally got the DDM kit installed just before a trip to Yellowstone. Works perfectly!
When following cars at night they seem to pull over more often to let me by then before. I have not been getting flashed by oncoming cars at all. Overall this was a GREAT inexpensive upgrade.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #834
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
I know the little knob adjust the height of the beam, but I can't seem to appreciate any movement of the low beam HID (I still have the high beam OEM bulb in), is there way to adjust the low beam without affecting the high beam?
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #835
Reislust
Still alive

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc View Post
I know the little knob adjust the height of the beam, but I can't seem to appreciate any movement of the low beam HID (I still have the high beam OEM bulb in), is there way to adjust the low beam without affecting the high beam?
I think mine move as one unit...

Ordered two H7 "Sportiva" kits from ebay last week. Can't wait to get them in and find a nice place to tuck them away. I will post pics... going on an 06, and they are the 35 watt 6000k. Hoping for no LAMPF issues, we'll see
Reislust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #836
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

both reflectors move at the same time, you need to turn the knob pretty often in order to see a difference.
Turning to the black plastic knob (screw) to right will lower the beam, before you turn you press the lever (lowers the beam completely), then turn and then pivot the lever back up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc View Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #837
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I just installed a 100W kit.

And I must say that it is much brighter than the original light. Much easier driving at night. And surprisingly, i did not bother anyone around.

I did notice however that there was a faint glare coming out of the front, could be because the bulb may be a bit longer.

For now my install is just a slapup job that i am running off an external battery in the tank bag.

Its a pity there isnt anyone around with whom i can compare this with.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #838
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

100W tank bag HID?!
That installation sounds adventurous, no melting wires?
Personally I'd not consider this a good approach but neither is a 35W HID kit considering
the problematic beam pattern and the "CAN-Bus" related implications....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teomannaskali View Post
I just installed a 100W kit.

And I must say that it is much brighter than the original light. Much easier driving at night. And surprisingly, i did not bother anyone around.
I did notice however that there was a faint glare coming out of the front, could be because the bulb may be a bit longer. For now my install is just a slapup job that i am running off an external battery in the tank bag.
Its a pity there isnt anyone around with whom i can compare this with.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #839
1offmotorsports
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Can Bus Integrated 35 Watt ballast

The dreaded LAMPF, no good . 1 Off MotorSports has a Can-bus integrated ballast that works great. DDM is a good solution as well since they have a similar lifetime warranty on the whole kit. Seems as though both 1 Off MotorSports and DDM are pretty much the only two that do, other companies have limited warranty or pay for lifetime warranty and often times it doesn't cover the bulb(s).

BMW does a great job of switching things up from year to year in an effort to have customers buy directly from them. But overall having any HID's is better than riding with stock lighting.

-Spencer Tibbs
Our lights are brighter than your honor student.
Phone: 888-225-6418
1offmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #840
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

...knowing what I know now I wouldn't convert mine to HID again, I was curious so I did it, converting Aux lights is a totally different matter and that actually makes a lot of sense I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1offmotorsports View Post
The dreaded LAMPF, no good . 1 Off MotorSports has a Can-bus integrated ballast that works great. DDM is a good solution as well since they have a similar lifetime warranty on the whole kit. Seems as though both 1 Off MotorSports and DDM are pretty much the only two that do, other companies have limited warranty or pay for lifetime warranty and often times it doesn't cover the bulb(s).

BMW does a great job of switching things up from year to year in an effort to have customers buy directly from them. But overall having any HID's is better than riding with stock lighting.

-Spencer Tibbs