Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #46
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
You guys are too funny and I can hear hear S1Marks accent as I read his posts with some of the "different" word.

Good start with the flower.

And if AJ and Jesse are meeting up with Scoutman while in the CdA area I better be invited. Are you guys still in the area?
Sorry Eastern washington crew. Mark and I are meeting up with Jesse and Jeff tonight in the Ginford Pinchot forest. Jeff and Jesse have had an extra week to play that the rest of us didn't have. So Mark and I are going to listen to the stories first hand over beers tonight in Cougar, WA. Then will play the weekend away in the forest. This is Jeffs' neck of the woods so he should have some good weekend riding and camping for us. John

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #47
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I can hear hear S1Marks accent as I read his posts with some of the "different" word.
Must admit I laughed at "clever clogs", been a while since I heard that. He's a silly sausage is that S1Mark.

Great report, keep it coming.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #48
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 601
The Desert Rat is born.

Sunday 24th July 2011.

We wake pretty early, splash on some more deet, brew up some coffee in Jetboils (and the queer thing Ernie bought that he swears is better than a Jetboil because it packs so small but takes 20 minutes to make a cup of tepid water). We start packing up and I'm rushing because I am miserably slow at eating/packing/getting up/using the toilet/brushing my teeth and I don't want to hold everyone up.

Today is the 'Desert' section and we are expecting a pretty tough one. It starts off easily enough and then winds through a few houses before picking up our first sand trail. The sand is pretty deep and I'm a bit nervous in it having never ridden sand before. I actually start losing a little ground on the others and at one point I think James even turns his Bike around to come look for me, but I chug around the corner before the ride gets disrupted. We follow the trail up a fairly steep and rocky grade, but we all handle it relatively easily. We get to the section where ORV signs are posted and Ryan has a problem. Gas has eaten his rubber gasket around his gas cap and it's leaking bad enough so that we have to fix it. I'll let others explain how they did this but it holds us up for a little while, but I do get to take a bunch of pictures of him playing in the sand whilst he tests the fix;

When we get going again we are riding through miles of sage brush which rub against our boots and pants and leave the place with a distinct sage aroma that I haven't experienced before It's the sort of smell that once you smell it you won't forget it, so I know my mind will wander back to this day at some point in the future. The sand is firmer now and the Husky strides over it easily, in fairly quick time I am starting to fly over it and catch up and pass the others on heavier bikes. The new Husky was really born this day. When you buy a new bike I guess you are always concerned it won’t live up to everything you expected of it. Today the Husky did everything I asked of it and more and I'm having a blast. I made up that name “s1Marks – The Desert Rat” but in truth I am really a little desert shit today because I am flying around and having the best time of my life whilst the guys on the big bikes are wondering if it will ever end. I don't stop smiling all day.

Right near the end of the desert we go through a fairly deep and unexpected water crossing, I get lucky and see it coming, others get somewhat more of a shock, but the cooling of the water is refreshing anyway. It is around 86 degrees today and you can feel a distinct change in temperature when you are “IN” the desert to when you are “Next” to the desert and riding on the pavement, it’s cooler still in Riley where we stop to fill up. We got lucky with temperature, I’m sure when it tops 100 it is just about unbearable. Before we hit Riley, my 2 litre camel back is empty, I have downed one of my spare water bottles and I am distinctly dehydrated.

It’s getting late in the day and the 3 guys on bigger bikes opt to head for the campsite rather than run the next section. We set a fairly stiff pace for the OBDR and today’s sections was long, hot and hard going for the bigger bikes. James, Ryan Jess and I agree to meet them at the campground either that evening or the next morning if we get way-laid.

When the 4 of us get back to the OBDR it almost instantly becomes tougher going and we’re in a hurry now so we can make the campground before dark. Ryan’s front mudguard comes loose (shaken out bolts) and we patch it up first with zip ties and then with bolts that the kid mechanic had stashed away as spares. Ryan then gets a puncture which with the help of James is fixed pretty quickly (transpires it was the rim lock biting into the tube). The sand is full of baby-head rocks and we get bounced about pretty good. Going up one steep section, I get too close behind Ryan who slows right down, I lose momentum and have to stop, I drop the Bike, no damage except to my pride. Crap, I could ride up the hill no problem, but I’m inexperienced to get so close to the rider in front and that fouls things up for me. It’s my only moving topple over of the entire trip.

Ryan has more problems with his Gas cap which this time he successfully fixes with a zip-loc sandwich bag. It was not his day. The trail at one point crosses through clean through a lake and we have to navigate around it at another it becomes like a sea of rocks and we all do well to stay upright focused and moving.

It's now got dark and the although we soon get back onto gravel roads they are as dusty as all get out. We have been navigating by following James, who stops at each intersection, the next rider then stops and doesn’t move until the following rider has caught up and stops for the next rider etc. The dust is so dang thick there are long gaps between us. It’s late enough that there is no other traffic, it eventually dawns on my to catch up with Ryan who is the rider in front of me and ride alongside him. He benefits from the extra light with his tinted goggles and I get to eat a lot less dust. I ate more dust that day than I ever have done in my entire life. I wish I had thought of riding in parallel sooner.

We get to camp as the advanced party, who had taken the pavement, are about to turn in. They help us with lights whilst we set up camp and food.

You have never seen cups of pot noodles devoured so quickly. We tuck into them eagerly and hungrily. Today was a really great day.

<<<***Please holder for future picture (which I don't have access to right now)***will edit later***>>>

The long and winding desert

That leads to nowhere

Jeff cruising through an easier section;

Ernie

John

Jesse, bags-a-kimbo

James gets to grips with Ryan flat. The kid Mechanic stands by desperate to get his hands dirty and take over.

John Pumps water for Ryan the next day. He has very strong wrists does John and you get the feeling he could just pump away all day!

s1marks screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 09:27 PM
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #49
s1marks OP
Mercedes

I'll be a couple of days with my next update (meeting John, Jeff and Jesse tonight to complete this trip). We are in Cougar WA (sorry LB and Scoutman).

BTW: The Husky is a brand new TE630, not Radioman's. I very nearly went for the 610 but the price on the new TE630 right now is $6499 ($2500 Husky discount so scuttle on down to Bills Husky and pick one up before the deal is gone. Tell them Mark sent you and he wants extra discount on future farkles! )
Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #50
timbanditos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Mark is right, the desert day was a long one for me. A lap full of gas is not ideal before heading into the desert and it seemed like we rode from 7:30am to 9:40pm with a few breaks. Here is a pic of the guys at Christmas Valley before we headed into the desert.

And here is a pic of some of the crew taking a break in the desert, at that point I think most of us were wondering how much more could there be? There turned out to be more than most of us expected.

In retrospect, it seemed hotter when we were there with our gear on in the middle of the afternoon, the picture doesn't look that bad.
timbanditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #51
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,602
Looks like you guys will have even more to add to your ride report after this weekend.

No worries about AJ and Jesse not connecting with the Spo/CdA group while in the area. When people are out having fun trying to get together with other people it's sometimes too difficult.

I'll wait patiently for more but someone please pass the butter, this popcorn is dry.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #52
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Sunday the 24th
We left the Fremont National forest and started on the desert section.
This section went on forever, but it was the easier part of the desert. No one wanted to camp in the desert. Plus my next camp waypoint was in the Ochoco National forest.

We got gas in Christmas Valley and went back into the desert.

Ryans’ gas cap gasket falls into his tank we make a gasket out of some hose and it works ok, he puts a sandwich bag on it and it is good to go. This was the sandy OHV section.

The forever section.

Bike posing. Out here in the middle of nowhere was a intersection and in the middle was a firering like some one was just waiting for someone to come by. I did not find any human remains.

We rode to the pavement that would take us to Riley for more gas. At Riley some of the guys had had enough of the desert riding and took a fast track to Delintment lake where the 4 of us would meet them. We were determined to ride it all even if it meant riding into camp after dark.

Mark

Ryan

This section is the baby head rocks. Ryan got a front flat tire that we had to fix.

This is also where we found one of the Back country signs that did not get taken down.

After the baby head rocks there were some very fun roads to ride.

We arrived at camp after dark. This is camp in the morning. We set up and ate and went to bed pretty fast. I know I was tired.
mrmagoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #53
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,921
This is still part of the 'good' desert section.

This was the end of the good and the beginning of the forever section which took forever to get through.

Shade!

I went down twice in the forever section.
The beemer roto tilled. I got tired. lol

I was one to shortcut to Delintment Lake. Thank god...
I was beat and this was not even to be the long day.

Nice place to camp!

Smack dab in the middle of a fun ride.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #54
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Monday the 25th
Jesse is putting his bike back together, this is a pretty common thing with him. He kept it running and never held us back.

We leave the lake and start for the river fords. First we have to get to Seneca. I have a flat on the front of my bike. Jeff bends the front rim on his bike.

Ryan has more problems with his gas tank cap gasket, this started on Sunday. We get to Seneca at 4:00 pm. Ryan takes apart his tank and cleans the old gasket stuff out and refuels. Now Seneca is only half way to where we need to be. The decision to bypass some of the route is made.

We WILL ride the fords, that is a must do for the group. We beat cheeks down to the 1st one. John is so worked up for it that I stopped to gather everyone up and get ready to take pictures, and John just goes for it, so no pictures of John. Everyone made it across all right.

[ I hope to post my videos when I figure out how to embed it.]

Jeff made us a little worried on his attempt. I will see if I can post my video of it.

Down to the next ford. We had to make a decision on what to do. Most wanted to camp there as it is a great site. I believed it prudent to cross because if someone went down we had all night to fix it, in the morning not so much. Ernie made the decision for us he said I am not waiting I want this over with. They asked if he wanted to watch me cross first and he said yes and away we went.

Jessie

Ryan

Jeff

Again 7 for 7 no problems. Another decision to ride until 7:30 pm or the 1st good campsite as we were trying to get back on schedule.

We then found a great site with water again and it was close to 7:30 so it worked. We are picked up and getting ready to leave in this picture.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #55
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Good stuff! I would sure like to explore some of this area.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #56
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

If you get time let me know, the Northern part is my play area. The wife and I just got back from a great 2 day to Baker City and back ride. Need to do a ride report on it when I get time.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #57
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoolin View Post
If you get time let me know, the Northern part is my play area. The wife and I just got back from a great 2 day to Baker City and back ride. Need to do a ride report on it when I get time.

Sure thing. It is not going to be this year. No more PTO available.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #58
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,921
More of the day leading to the river crossings...

Water!
James rides solid. Never a waver. Good riding James.
Oh, but James ...Get a new helmet! Yours has seen better days.
Everybody rode good.

James

Mark

Ryan

Jeff deflected but fought through it and stayed upright.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #59
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Monday 25th July 2011

The dust was so thick the previous night running into camp we all decide to space out a bit more the next day. Nobody has gotten lost and our system of each rider waiting for the guy behind him at each turn has been working well.

The day holds some fantastic riding for us, there are fast smooth gravel sections that are ideal for power-sliding. I'm no expert by and means at doing this but I have enough time to figure out the road surface the bike and my own capabilities to have a riot. The day is hot and we lose some time, James gets a puncture and we stop longer that we should have done in Seneca just recuperating.

Whilst James fixes his puncture, Jeff decides his contribution should be to play with the inner tube.

We decide to skip a short section out of Seneca and rejoin the OBDR a little further up so that we can make up some time. We all agree the water crossings are a must. They can't be missed. Riding down to the water section is some of the best riding of the trip, a mud section with deep ruts, rocks and a freshly dead cow that I see out of the corner of my eye as a fly past. I spend the next mile or so wondering which of my friends could have hit a cow hard enough to kill it. Deer, squirrels, chipmunks, bugs, butterfly’s and even a bat I have seen. But a dead cow? Right before the cow I saw a lot of dust, and John is the rider ahead of me. I figure it must have been John.

When we get to the first river crossing we discuss the cow. Apparently nobody hit the cow, the cow was already dead, right in the middle of the OBDR. The cow must have been dead a few days because apparently it smells really bad. I didn't smell the cow because I must have been going too fast.

Despite the first river crossing being a great capsite, we decide to make the river crossing tonight even though it's getting fairly late. If we are going to have to empty an engine of water we may as well have the evening to work on it rather than lose half a day tomorrow.

There is some intrepidation about the first river crossing, the 'wiser' members of the group make their way across quickly before the cameras come out.

Ryan crosses in style

Jeff goes for it

But, the water preesure against that monster tank turns him sideways, john wades in quickly to help out. I don't have to bacuase I am taking the official pictures.

James doesn't have to because he is sitting "fetchingly" upon the river bank (this one is for you Lynette);

John helps Jeff get going again. He is strong as a bull is John and I'm still half wondering if that doesn't still have something to do with the dead cow.

Jesse goes for the first water crossing like a mad-man.

We are all across the first river-crossing and nobody has dropped their bike.

A few miles later comes the next river crossing, despite this being deeper and longer we all nail it.

Jeff

Ryan

Ryan has had a grubby day;

We're tired after the river crossings and stop short of our intended campsite. We just camp by the side of the road but again this is one of the best campsites. There is running water pumped into a hollowed out log (in the middle of nowhere!) and a good place for a fire.

John prepares his Mountain House Beef stew, the "River Queen" is very happy to have made it to camp without drowning his bike (I bet his socks are wet though).

s1marks screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 10:55 PM
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #60
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,780
Bravo!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote