Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #61
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Thanks Lukas!!

I found the part nos for parts 15 and 17 and then compared them to the parts on the US bikes. SAME PARTS.

17 is a Ventilation Valve 16 11 7 721 943

15 is a Connection Piece 61 66 1 382 908

The difference is that in the US hose 18 goes to the charcoal canister, while in Europe it goes . . .? Out the bottom of the bike I would presume.

Lukas, do you ever have a vacuum in your tank, when you open it air sucks in?

I haven't noticed a vacuum but I have only filled up the tank couple of times so far.

I will take a look where the hose goes this weekend, unless Griz below already got confirmation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
To each his own of course. I'm not going to run a filter on the gas tank vent line on my bike though. The Euro/rest of the world models don't, so that's good enough for me. Cheers.
Do you know that for a fact? Then I don't have to dig around under the seat trying to trace mine.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #62
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Do other contries use oxygenated fuels? Ethonal or other type of addatives?

Also, are there structural differences in the subframe to mount other electrical requirements for US bikes?

Just thinking of other ideas.

David
Subframe is the same.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #63
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I haven't noticed a vacuum but I have only filled up the tank couple of times so far.

I will take a look where the hose goes this weekend, unless Griz below already got confirmation?
I do not have confirmation on where the #18 hose goes to on the Euro-spec F8's. I can only assume that it vents to the ground, though, like every other motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Do you know that for a fact? Then I don't have to dig around under the seat trying to trace mine.
Yes, I do know for a fact that the Euro-spec models do not have a breather filter on the #18 gas tank vent line.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #64
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,646
After doing another CC vasectomy on a friends brand new 8gs..... I did a little more playing around with the Little valve about 8 inches from the tank.... As I had mentioned before i a few diff. posts.... My valve during earlier testing was found to relieve pressure away from the tank after about 5 psi was applied on the tank side..( against the arrow). I was curious as to how the valve work....since it vent`s freely towards the tank to relieve any vacuum. Looks/sounds like there is a small ball in there and a neutral point where gasses can flow free in either direction...... The catch..... flow rate needs to be very slow away from the tank...... Blow slow....and the valve will flow free against the arrow......Blow a little faster....ball seats...and flow stops.... Perhaps BMW thought that fuel vapors will pass freely to vent the tank....and if liquid entered from the tank the valve will in fact shut and prevent fuel from entering the CC...... In that discovery..... I remounted my valve in the spectra filter......angled up...slightly....and fuel vapors are in fact flowing free away from the tank. This is just my observation....nothing else.....Most likely won`t make any difference...... Never the less.... That`s what I did.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #65
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Canisterectomy done

I rode in heavy rain weekend before last and sure enough I started experiencing misfiring. I read up on the canister problem and did the resection today. I basically used the method at the start of this thread but instead of a Uni filter, I used an inline air filter for air brakes I found at Autozone. I hooked one nipple to the tank vent hose and the other to the existing hose that was hooked to the bottom of the canister. My bike already had the recall fix with a "Y" in this hose with one hose going to the bottom of the bike and the other to under the seat area. I'm thinking my canister was fouled with gas as I'm pretty sure I overfilled several times when I got the bike, not knowing of the problem. "Hell, fill that sucker up!" The canister smelled pretty strongly of gas. I'm planning a trip this weekend so I'll see if there's any improvement in running. It seems better just starting it in the garage.

One thing I found when doing this was that the wire bundle that goes from rearward just over the front sprocket to the area just behind the regulator was routed poorly and had been rubbed by the chain. The outer fabric cover was worn completely through but no wire insulation was worn that I found. I need to find some good electrical tape and try to repair. It's going to be difficult. Very tight quarters and everything is covered with chain gunk. Ah well.

Rick
Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #66
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
FWIW, I looked at my '11 800GS and apparently the "T" fix was done at the factory. Actually as stated above, it's a "Y" fix. Anyway, for those that may be wondering.

"Y" fitting

View from side of canister (not the best picture)

Where top tube is routed

2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #67
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
FWIW, I looked at my '11 800GS and apparently the "T" fix was done at the factory. Actually as stated above, it's a "Y" fix. Anyway, for those that may be wondering.

"Y" fitting

Where top tube is routed
The dealer may have performed the "Y".
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #68
SouthWestRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post

"Y" fitting

Where top tube is routed
My 2010 is the same way.
SouthWestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #69
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Scott, I thank you for this thread. I want to remove canister from my Tiger 800XC and this thread has answered my questions. Much appreciated.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #70
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
Scott, I thank you for this thread. I want to remove canister from my Tiger 800XC and this thread has answered my questions. Much appreciated.
You're welcome!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #71
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Smog Cannister Removal

Probably a dumb question, but why did you put a filter on the line that goes to/from the tank?

Part # ??

Doesn't this line carry fumes and overflow raw gasonline from the tank?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Great thread and pictures, thanks ever so much.

Bugley.
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #72
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,170
I think the "theory" there is that as the tank breaths the filter will prevent dust from getting into the tank.

Your question made me start re-thinking the situation....

Non-USA bikes do not have the canister, but DO have a same vent line with the pressure/vacuum check valve in it as the USA bikes. On the assumption that non-USA bikes use the same fuel tank ... I wonder if the tap that would otherwise go to the canister is just capped off or ?????
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #73
majorhavok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastjunebug View Post
Probably a dumb question, but why did you put a filter on the line that goes to/from the tank?

Part # ??

Doesn't this line carry fumes and overflow raw gasonline from the tank?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Great thread and pictures, thanks ever so much.

Bugley.

Ok, sorry to re-hash this, but I'm in Commie-fornia and have no intention of leaving the CC in my new '12 F800GS when it arrives in a few weeks. The OP is a couple years old and the pics aren't linked anymore and I'd love to do this mod after break-in/first service. Any way to get the pictures up again?
majorhavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #74
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,893
I don't know if someone just fixed this...but I can see the original pictures just fine.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #75
majorhavok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
I don't know if someone just fixed this...but I can see the original pictures just fine.
Yeh, or maybe I shouldn't have been on ADV rider at work..

The pics may have been blocked by my company, and I thought the link was dead because I just saw the red x boxs instead of pics. I see them now from home.. Oops.

Sorry!
majorhavok is offline   Reply With Quote