Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
Squily OP
Squily

Oddometer: 1,182
Nothing new. but last minute, last minute...

Spent yesterday changing tyres. Eugene fitted a new chain (and managed to break the chain-splitter in the process). Haven't packed an iota. And we're leaving this morning. Hmmm..

Oh, and we still have to post off the tyres.

And to top it off, it rained the whole week so far. You know the 45-60 degree rain type that blows in half-way into the shed?

Could be worse- could be at work

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
Klein Mannetjie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Klein Mannetjie.

Hi Son.
Wishing you guys a pleasant, safe and adventurous trip!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!
Klein Mannetjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Are ya on the road Squily? Most of the rain looks to have passed thru into Vic/NSW. Hope it was a fine & sunny start for you

holmesie screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 02:38 PM
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #19
Squily OP
Squily

Ceduna

We're staying in Ceduna tonight. Had a few slow days.Eugene only got to bed at two last night (he enjoyed the Border run too much ). Was cold and wet when we pulled in and we decided to grab a room. Been getting some complaints about updates on the webpage and Spot. Sorry, can't the stupid thing to work. Have been pushing the button, but Steph said only three messages have gone through (none at all today) and Spotwalla is not picking anything up. I must be doing something wrong.

And all the time spent tonight trying to figure this out and I did not have enough time to do any photos or trip reports. Will try my best to make up for it.

Heading to Wirrulla tomorrow and (if the track is open), well try and get through to Woomera. Finger's crossed.

Squily
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #20
Squily OP
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie View Post
Let me know how hard the boots are to fit. I've got a set to go on mine, but don't know where to start!

Wasn't too hard, but you need to remove the front wheel, brake calipers, mudguard, all. Took me about an hour, but the fork are too long (all that would fit). Perhaps you need to look into fork-socks?

Squily
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #21
Squily OP
Squily

Friday, 5th August

We got up late, got started late and got away even later. To top it off, the chain Eugene had ordered turned out to be the wrong length and he had to return it. Luckily the Honda dealer had a chain and we could fit it. So Friday was spent doing everything we could not fit in on Thursday.

Had a final lunch with Steph. All packed and nowhere to go:

Filled up and left. Topped up again at Condingup. Tried to get some insight into the road conditions ahead. Were told its slippery. Hmmm... So it was...

Smoke break at Derilinia

Boertjie...

Leaving Esperance

Made it to Bobanya homestead just in time for sundown. Someone's been up here doing some work on the ruins- there's a roof on it now. Came in handy and we rolled the swags out in the old house- much drier that way

Ended the eve with some beers, pasta and chocalates (after we've done some frog hunting in the gnamma holes around the granites )

Squily
Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #22
Squily OP
Squily

Saturday, 6th August

Started early and headed up the track through the Balladonia station (bypassing the last BAD 15km of Parmango rd and exiting at the Balladonia telegraph station). Riding was good. Track was great. Saw plenty of kangaroos.

On the way, there is this massive rock hole. When I passed it last year, it had more than 50cm of water in throughout (some places more than a meter) and made for a good swimspot. This time round- plenty of water, but no swimming.

Back on the highway- obligatory stop at the 90mile straight

50km down and we headed south onto the plain proper. From there East to the camel tanks. We didn't have enough time to go down to Toolina cove, so we hightailed it back to the highway and East to Eucla.

Made Border at 5pm. Just enough time to pitch a swag before dark. Went to look up some company. I left Eugene in the pub around 10. I was pretty bushed. He came back after 2, but I didn't hear him. All-in-all, a pretty good show.

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 03:09 PM
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #23
Squily OP
Squily

Sunday, 7th August

A bit nippy this morning. Temp gauge said 1 degreeC. Hmmm... Not so sure about that...

Eugene was feeling a bit worse-for-wear after the night before and we got away from Border after 9, We decided on the old Eyre highway. Apart from slippery in some spots and rocky in others, the going was well and it was easy to maintain 80+. Scenery was great. Saw a pack of dingoes as well.

On the way we stopped at Koonalda station. This used to be a roadhouse and there is quite a bit to see. Built out of railway sleepers

Fill her up please. What, no unleaded

Old car-graveyard around the place

With some interesting finds. V8 anyone?

I knew an old cocky from De Aar. Uncle Andre used to say: "You know you'll break down if you drive a land rover, but at least you don't have to push it very far, as just ahead some other land rover has also broken down and you'd be able to get some spares" I can sort of see how this one went

We didn't see it all. Some people even left some grafiti suggestions in the old house: Next time...

We made it to Nullarbor roadhouse. We caught up with some people recce'ing the route for the Cannonball charity run to raise funds for DEBRA. Worth checking out: www.cannonballride.com.au

They also had some suggestions for our trip further on. With the late start, we opted to try and make some time up and gave up the dirt for bitumen. Hmmm... Got sidetracked again. What do you know, there was >60 whales in the bay

We started getting some wet weather. As the odo on the Varadero turned onto 16kkm, two rainbows. Must be a sign of good things to come

We didn't make it further than Ceduna. Pulled in as it was getting dark and with the wet weather we've been having this arvo, we opted for a room over the swags. Tea at the waterfront. They do a 3-course meal for $19.50. Two-plate Eugene decided to have some seafood instead (for those who don't know- he is always hungrier when he orders than when we eat- he orders two plates and then "we" have to help him finish it off- his calamari was great).

Whilst I opted for the healthier choice of plenty of meat (and some veggies). Double helping of sticky-date and cream to wash it down. That was a good deal.

Back to bed. Skyped with the folks, Tried to get the Spot figured out. No luck.Sorry folks...

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 03:17 PM
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Squily OP
Squily

Monday, 8th August

Beats being at work...

Got up bright and early. Plan was to be at Wurilla before 8. Although plenty of wet road, not too much water. Sunrise

Some light fog

Breakfast at Wirrulla

We were told there has not been too much rain and that the roads should be ok. Called the 1300 number and got the same (although it was 3 days old). Road was ok. Bit slippery in patches, but once again 80+. There must have been some rain though- plenty of water in the lakes

Approached the Gawler ranges

Went for a 150km detour down to the ranges. Hmmm... Great ride, Plenty of wildlife- almost got taken out by some Emu's, but slippery. One moment its dusty, the next moment you're sliding. Interesting. But great.

Some ruins. Sorry, no history lesson- not boards on site, but I'm sure it would be interesting.

Headed back north. Plenty to see

Got back onto the Kingoonya rd. and we got our 1st red sands and spinifex

Stopped to take some directions

And noticed the DL was loosing it's bits

Kingoonya and there was a beer with my name on it

Further east to Stuart highway. Again- there must have been some rain

South to Woomera. Makes you think: Just how many Asians have to hit animals to warrant putting up these signs in Australia?

Made Woomera at sunset.

Camping: $10/person. Room $25/person. Hmmm... Let's just ruff it in the old barracks then...

Off-loading the bike: Hmmm... SW Motech "never in six years" my arse.

Luckily there was a bloke fixing a caravan and he took the panier frame. Promised to weld it in the morning and have it back by 9. Hope it costs less than a new one. At least Ian's welds have held up, so with any luck I'll have had all the welds fixed by the end of this trip and then they'll last forever

Tomorrow we'll explore the town and then its off north to the territory. Don't think we'll make the border, but we'll be bush somewhere. and Ayre's rock on Wednesday.

Not sure when I'll next be able to post something.

Progress to date:

PS- Forgot to add: The caravan park has a great little pub. Drinks are really cheap. Atmosphere is great. And the whole town has the "abondoned military base feel" GREAAAAT!!

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 04:05 PM
Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
Squily OP
Squily

8am. Just had a visit from the local fixewr. Cost of a carton ($50 for those who wonder). No awards for welding neatness. And a pipe to make it fit. But this should get us going again. Thanks mate

I also added a GPS map on the 1st page to indicate where we are/progress. Because I can't get Spotwalla to work.

Squily
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #26
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
finally you guys have hit the track... looks good. Not sure but seems like some of your photos you've posted aren't showing? your ride brings back memories...

subscribed!

edit: photos now displaying... must have been the ether in cyberspace...
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.

sinned screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 07:37 PM
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #27
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
CUL8RR have you seen Squily's central OZ ride? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post16582851 different routes for you guys but you never know... tracks might cross...
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Going well Squily... Shame about the rack, that's pretty disappointing

This one my fav pic to far
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #29
Klein Mannetjie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Klein Mannetjie.

The SA scrapdealers (munts) would love the auto graveyard.Enjoy rest of trip!
Klein Mannetjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #30
Squily OP
Squily

At Ayres rock tonight. Pretty knackered. Did 850km and a hiking trail. Think I might stay over a day longer. Climbing the rock tomorrow. Will try and do some updates and post some pics too.

It's one big arse rock!!!

Squily