Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #16
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Heheheheheheheehe....I didn't need no Geotag to find that lake!!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #17
Dekatronic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Awesome reports!

I also just picked up a 4-piece 3-weight rod and fished the upper Dean river (towards Bella Coola) last weekend. Water was way too high, but at least the constant pack of mosquitoes were biting ha ha. We 4x4'd it from Williams Lake, but a few of us are considering doing the trip on bikes next time. Thanks for posting pics of your gear - you've inspired me to pack a rod in the future : )
Dekatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
Nice R&FR man, I sport the fishing rod as well on the motorcycle, though I'm more accustomed to salt water! I did live in PG for 6 years, but didn't fish much there. Been trying a few lakes and rivers on Van Isle, but havent done much fresh water since i was a kid, so all i really know is the river in lake cowichan where i grew up. I like the 3 piece rod! I'm surprised my 2 piece hasn't gotten clothes lined on branches yet!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #19
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Heheheheheheheehe....I didn't need no Geotag to find that lake!!
Ok, so humour me then - at least for the benefit of all those who didn't grow up riding/hiking/4-wheelin' all the region's backroads and trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatronic View Post
Awesome reports!

I also just picked up a 4-piece 3-weight rod and fished the upper Dean river (towards Bella Coola) last weekend. Water was way too high, but at least the constant pack of mosquitoes were biting ha ha. We 4x4'd it from Williams Lake, but a few of us are considering doing the trip on bikes next time. Thanks for posting pics of your gear - you've inspired me to pack a rod in the future : )
I was surprised just how little space all my gear took up. I easily have room in my duffel for camping gear for myself, as well. That might be the next outing - an overnight fishing/camping/riding trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Nice R&FR man, I sport the fishing rod as well on the motorcycle, though I'm more accustomed to salt water! I did live in PG for 6 years, but didn't fish much there. Been trying a few lakes and rivers on Van Isle, but havent done much fresh water since i was a kid, so all i really know is the river in lake cowichan where i grew up. I like the 3 piece rod! I'm surprised my 2 piece hasn't gotten clothes lined on branches yet!
I'm the other way around - more fresh water (and most of that lakes) than salt. I do have a 9wt rig as well for salmon & steelhead that's seen some use on the Bulkley, Skeena, and Lakelse... but its been sitting unused for a while.

And I know exactly what you mean about the clothesline thing. My first two-piece 6wt rod was a nightmare just to hike into a lake with, hence the nice compact 4-piece rod that I now favour.

GISdood screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 02:52 PM
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
BlackDog
Big Fish

Oddometer: 19
I like it! My kind of riding!
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
garry_kramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I would love to try some fishing there. I have never fly fished, but I have a light travel rod & reel that I can take with me on the bike.

Garry
2012 KLR650
garry_kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer View Post
I would love to try some fishing there. I have never fly fished, but I have a light travel rod & reel that I can take with me on the bike.

Garry
If you're ever out this way, drop me a PM - I'd be more than happy to accompany you or at least point you in the right direction. I just renewed my fishing license last weekend, I'm itching to get out again. Now if the weather would just smarten up and cooperate a bit....
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Renovations, Tent Space guests... and yes, a little bit of fishing.

Well, its July and summer seems to have FINALLY showed up here in northern BC. The weather last month really sucked - record rainfall reported all over the province, flash floods, rivers spilling over their banks, the whole 9 yards. On top of that, we've been busy renovating our basement and hosting ADV'ers traveling to/from Alaska. A quick count from memory puts it at a total of 17 riders taking advantage of my Tent Space Thread posting so far this year. Honestly, I look forward to the riding season bringing ppl through the area, meeting all sorts of folks from all over the world as they journey north (or return south).

A few photos of spring renovations and early-season travelers:

Basement gutted and ready for new subfloor (DriCore tiles stacked in the foreground)

Reverse angle, and the father-in-law who was up for a couple weeks doing the bulk of the work while I was holding down my desk at work. Thanks Greg!!

Your truly, starting to lay down the DriCore tiles

And a few hours later... almost all done except for cutting the corner pieces and cleaning up the mess

Its all framed, wired and plumbed now (laundry sink, washer/dryer, etc), but I don't have the most recent pictures downloaded off the camera yet. Just gotta run ethernet down there for the TV and then get the sprayfoam guys in to make it warm and cozy :)

Then the ADV traffic begun... meet Joevano. Joe was on his way from MN to AK and stopped in for a couple nights. Originally, he was planning on a single night stopover, but decided to stay an extra day to wait out the weather and get some extra rest. I was expecting another group of 4 riders (Brauhausbier and 3 friends) and I think Joe was hoping to ride with some company for a change.

Joe and his DR

Sorry, I dropped the ball and didn't get any pictures of Brauhausbier & company... got any handy from your travels with them, Joe?

The following weekend we had another large group come through on their way north. 8 riders in total! Good thing I've got over an acre of lawn for all the tents!

Most everyone from this group was from California. They'd met in Seattle and journeyed north as a group, planning on hitting lots of off-pavement routes as they looped up into Alaska and back. Their return loop was what finally got me to get off my butt, renew my fishing license for the season, put a new tire on the DR and go hit some gravel.

I did all my trip prep, tire change, and packing the morning before I left, so no pictures of any of that... but here's the first one after I hit the road just 5 min from my house, en route to meeting Kevin (pictured above) and the remnants of his group (they suffered the demise of a KLR and a finicky F800 which didn't complete the trip) at Punchaw Lake - a mere 40 miles from my house - for the night.

5 min from my house... some twisty pavement as I headed for the Blackwater FSR

Not long after that... it was onto some gravel for about 30 minutes. No turnoffs, no route changes, just a straight shot right to the lake.

And a quick self-portrait - I'm loving this new Scorpion lid, btw...

In short order, I was at the lake. There were a couple other campers and RVs already set up at this point, as it was after 3pm on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, but this spot by the lake was wide open, so I claimed it by spreading my stuff out in anticipation of Kevin and his entourage showing up later in the afternoon.

Time to unpack, set up my tent and get geared up to get on the water! It looked pretty shallow and weedy right off the shore and the water was quite dark, but at least it was calm out

I talked to another angler that was out in his aluminum boat with a kicker. He hadn't had much luck other than a lot of coarse fish (squawfish/suckers/spiny sculpin/etc). Oh well.. its still fishing and better than yard work!

So as I was using my flippers to commute across the lake, I took a couple photos

I never did hook into any rainbows... so no fish pics. The only coarse fish I got to my apron on the float tube (as I forgot my damn net at home!) I simply skewered with my pocket knife and tossed back into the lake for fish food. Maybe a rainbow will have a dinner on THEM for a change!

After a couple hours of enjoying the peace and quiet on the water, I heard the distinctive sound of a herd of adventure bikes - a Super Tenere, Versys, F800, two 990's and a 690. That was my cue to paddle my butt back to shore.

Some people were already set up and relaxing by the time I got back to shore. They're well-practiced in set-up and take-down by now, and this was to be their last night of camping along their journey.

I guess after a few days of camping without showers, several of the group couldn't stand their own 'funk' any longer and braved the cool waters for a bit of a bath

You can see the hesitation being displayed by the guys upon getting beyond 'scrotum depth' in the water. It really wasn't all that warm.

What's that? Yes, there are so guys in that picture.

So the first order of business after getting out of the water? Building up the fire! A half-liter of lighter fluid, comin right up!

It didn't take long before the coals were throwing some nice even heat

A few drinks were had, stories exchanged, laughs were shared... then it was off to bed. They all wanted to get an early start to make it to their next planned stop in Hope early enough to enjoy a long hot shower before a nice celebratory trip wrap-up dinner. Packing up in the a.m.

I decided to travel south with the group to Quesnel and then loop back to Prince George via Hwy97. It was a nice day, the wife was working out of town, why not? The roads were awesome, too. Nice hardpack, very little loose gravel. 100-120km/h was the average cruising speed on stretches like these...

But all too soon, the gravel ended and we were back on pavement, heading into West Quesnel

We all stopped at Tim Horton's for a bite before we parted ways. Shockingly, this was the FIRST Timmy's stop the group had made on their entire trip!

So that was it - not much in the way of fishing, but it was good to get out, and it was great to catch up a bit with Kevin & company. Trust me, guys... if (when?) we ever get to Cali, we will most DEFINITELY be taking you up on the reciprocal offer of hospitality!

Looking forward to seeing some pics and hopefully a ride report soon!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Nice. Have you ever been out towards Pelican Lake and Titetown Lake at all? Haven't been there in a few years but the fishing was decent IIRC. Kokanee can be found in Titetown.....
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Not a bike, but I've been through the Titetown crossing via 4x4 in the past... The water was up to the top of the wheel wells on my Tacoma with a 3" lift on it when we crossed - which doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in crossing that on a DR with a gaping hole in the top of the airbox!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

I haven't been through either the upper or lower crossing in quite a while but we always waited until late August or September before we would attempt either.

That road to Kluskoil is a heck of a trip
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Had no idea this thread was still alive. Better subscribe .
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

It comes back from the dead occasionally, typically whenever I find time to actually get out and hit some dirt en route to the next fishing hole :)

Hopefully another installment coming up next weekend!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I will revive it with a statement of "thats great to see." As a BC guy myself i like seeing places I have ridden and fished.Retirement is upon me so I hope to duplicate some of what you have done in other places. Kamloops was my bailiwick so that is probably where I will start with a long term road RR like yours. Keep on keeping on!

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Jim!

Kamloops, eh? Definitely some amazing rainbows to be had in all of the lakes down there - and I've wet my lines in several of them (grew up in Clearwater, 120km north).

Unfortunately, I didn't get out 'moto-fishing' too many times this past summer, but I did drive out with a friend to wade the Stellako River in the fall for a day of catch-and-release action.

Here's few pics from that day, just cause it makes me feel a bit warmer than the minus 20-something outside this morning.... damn winters are too long up here!

Crystal clear water and spawning sockeye meant there should be plenty of rainbows lurking in the pools...

Fish on!

A beauty... not too big but very colourful.

We each landed about a half-dozen rainbows that day. Perfect weather and we were the only ones on the stream... except for all these characters, of course:

Now if winter would just hurry up and be over already, I can get back to adding more fishing trips to this report!