Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #4141
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Then it was on to...

British Columbia, where shortly after this warning:

we ran into the real deal!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #4142
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The place was thick

with wildlife -- more Bison:

and bear:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #4143
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Clearing weather

gotta love these big brown marshmallows:

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #4144
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A quick stop

at Coal River for gas and snacks;

Where I accidentally stepped on this little dog's tail when he snuck behind me.

He seemed OK after a good yelp and a few seconds, we were friends again.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #4145
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another blackie

this one was pretty close to the road

Didn't stop to line up a good photo... wonder why:

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #4146
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we approached

the big peaks of this part of the Canadian Rockies, the weather really started to cooperate:

We blew by Liard Hot Springs, it just didn't work out for us to stop there mid-day, here we're crossing the Liard River:

back to the bison,

and a couple of twisties thrown in, just to keep us on our toes:

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #4147
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The twisties

didn't last for long,

but they were fun, and broke up the monotony of the slab.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #4148
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Probably one of the

coolest sections of the Alcan:

passing the highest point, if I'm not mistaken, somewhere around here.

and then... Muncho lake

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #4149
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Muncho Lake

was really cool. Unfortunately, the dial on the good camera got knocked and all the photos that LDF took were way overexposed.

Here's a little view along the road, and some comedy monolog

The ice really was that green!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #4150
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rolling past mid-day

it's kinda hard to convey the massive distances necessary to cover in order to get anywhere up here... just a snippet of riding:

A stop for gas at Toad River, where they have a bunch of hats nailed to the ceiling.

7915 to be exact.

that counts for something in these parts.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #4151
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

River crossing

always a highlight

Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #4152
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oh, sheep!

cute little guy:

and pretty well camouflaged when you get right down to it.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #4153
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One more river x-ing

and we'd call it a day.

we were looking for a provincial park for camping, but it wasn't where we thought it'd be, so we stopped at this private camp, Tetlin River Services, I think it was called. Just opening for the season, nice guy running the place... only problem was the diesel generator that ran loudly 'till 10pm.

So much for peace and quiet!

Yeah, I was a little grumpy 'bout that.

'nother long day, not so many hours, but putting down the miles:

and remember, we're riding ass-punishing drz's. We should be standing, sitting in the saddle only to duck under low-hanging branches!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-19 M7.GPX (76.8 KB, 37 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 02:52 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #4154
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Friday May 19th 2011 M7 day 8

Not: ... I AM stupid! Should be Friday May 20th, not 19th. My bad.

From Tetsa River Campground to Fort St. John

click on image below for detail:

I just realized I gotta process more photos and upload 'em before I can write more... oops. Be back in a bit.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 01:35 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #4155
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
I've driven the Alcan 5 times in the last 6 years... and I recognize every shot you had... I can remember vividly what it looked like each time I went through though it never had quite the look as in your pictures (I did my trips in October and February)

very cool!