Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #91
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Once you put 50,000 or so real Adventure miles on the Tiger, and go where we go on the 800GS, then come talk shit in our forum.
I'm right up the road from you if you'd like to do a real world Adventure bike comparison, I know some good trails or twisties for you to try and follow me on.

Funny how people can't be satisfied to have a nice new motorbike, to live in a country with endless miles on roads to explore, then feel the need to go and talk shit to make themselves feel even better?... Sad.
Dude to funny that's the response i was hoping for. I'm got a full 200 miles with no dirt lol. So you got me beat!! I do have 26,000 on my BMW Xcountry!! Would love to ride with you if your fun to ride with but from your reply you seem high strung? Nice picks those are awesome!! Where up the road?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #92
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, asked the opinion of F800 owners, if we would still buy an F800GS.... he's a XC owner just trolling.
If he owned a GS before then it wouldn't be talking shit, it would be an informed opinion.

Therefore it's obvious to me he's insinuating that us 800gs owners shouldn't ride a XC because we'd be disappointed.

Duh.
Bud the F800GS is a sweet bike. I dreamed about it for 3 years riding BMW G650 Xcountry waiting for that awesome day when it was time to upgrade. But... That inline triple is soooo sweet and smooooth. The F800GS is clearly the better enduro if that's the comparison but if its which one is a better adventure touring machine (ie 1150GS, 1200GS)? Well then then the F800GS has some very serious competition. If your going to go thrashing around some trails for the day well the F800GS is your bike but for some multi-day multi-week trips better bring the anti-monkey butt cream because you posterior is going to need it!! Like i said though if i had a F800GS i'de be a happy camper. I did take the Tiger on test ride and that engines purrr it'll have to admit suduced me away from my dream bike. Now i'm in love with a white tiger and i don't care who knows it,

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 09:52 PM
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #93
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Thousand Oaks.

Yeah, I'm high strung. Want to go ride, lets see what your XC can do.

If you mean north of LA you'll need to ride down here i avoid that cess pool like the plague!! We need to wait until my accessories with bike protection comes and i'm finished with the break in. But yes we can ride out in Anza Borrego for an over nighter with some friends? Maybe we can round up a few more SOCAL riders
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #94
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
The F800GS is an awesome bike and all owners should be satisfied with it without dreaming about the Tiger. Just don't ride a Tiger if you already have a F800GS!!
Funny ... I test rode the Tiger XC and now I'm happier with my F800GS than I was before.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #95
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
I can see by your post you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're not just trolling, you're an idiot.
Slightly embarrassing I got drawn into your thoughts... but after a few cocktails I'm easy.

Enjoy your new bike, it's perfect for you and much better adventure touring bike than mine.
Sorry you got your feelings hurt.or was it your bikes feelings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8Hp...eature=related
Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #96
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,584
September issue of British magazine "Bike" does a comparison after a three day ride off and on-road. You might expect the Brits to be biased towards the Triumph but they went for the F800GS. The 800XC is, according to them, a better road bike than the F800GS but all of the test riders preferred the 800GS off-road and as an all rounder.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #97
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Here is a synopsis from the Bike test that I plagiarized from another post:
"The general consensus was that the GS was better off-road, but that the Tiger had a peach of an engine. Bike Dyno'd both bikes, and the results are quite surprising. The Tiger makes 3bhp more than the GS, but only makes those extra ponies above 8500rpm. At every other point in the rev range the GS is ahead, often way head. At 5500 revs the Tiger makes 50bhp, the GS makes 60bhp. All the tests and reports comment on the Tigers creamy torque, however at no point in the rev range does the Tiger even get close to the GS. The GS makes 55 lb.ft against 49 lb.ft.

Side by side roll on shows both bikes equal at 30mph in third, and again equal from 40mph in both third gear and top gear. Anything above 60mph in top, and the GS has the edge. Obviously the twin isn't as refined as the triple, which feels happier above 90mph. Over 90 miles of motorway riding at 90mph the GS did 66mpg, whereas the Tiger did 51mpg (29% more fuel used".

Which bike you prefer, obviously depends how much pavement you pound. Lets not get caught up in semantics and trying to define an adventure bike into some niche that mirrors where you ride.

The short comings of the BMW have been expressed early and often, by some of us who believed the bikes could go anywhere, like they were advertised. I expect to see something similar from the Triumph buyers when they attempt to do the same.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #98
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
September issue of British magazine "Bike" does a comparison after a three day ride off and on-road. You might expect the Brits to be biased towards the Triumph but they went for the F800GS. The 800XC is, according to them, a better road bike than the F800GS but all of the test riders preferred the 800GS off-road and as an all rounder.
Cycle Canada did a head to head with the two this past month...

In a nut shell the article said that if you plan on off roading, the BMW is more comfortable and feels way more controlled in the dirt.

http://www.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/12179/
Toronto to Maine and back, Toronto to Boston -The Long way, To the Dragon
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #99
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Don't have an F800GS (got a R12ADV which will be traded in for an F800GS shortly), but I used to have a Triumph (ST1050), and one thing which puts me off Triumph is the prices for service - BMW's might be expensive to buy, but cheap to service and run. On the other hand I miss the engine, awesome power deliver.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #100
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

My thoughts

Since both bikes are 800's everyone i comparing them but they are actually going after different niches. The Triumph is best thought of as a smaller adventure touring 1150GS or 1200 GS. An adventure touring machine while the BMW is best thought of a larger BMW Xchallenge also a adventure touring but one foot in the enduro camp. Better on the single track while the triumph excells on the dirt roads and pavement. The F800GS is better for those guys that want a weekend thrasher and the triumph is better for longer trips. Your not going to use the 1150GS as a weekend thrasher and you won't use the Triumph for that either. Of course folks can and due use the BMW for long adventure trips. Its going to do great because its a good bike but after several days you'd probably more appreciate the Tiger. Of course you could use the Tiger on single track but thats not what it was made for and why tear up such a pretty machine?

It says something about both bikes when on rag says the Tiger is a better bike while another picks the F800GS as a better bike. Generalities are not always good thought tools to use but to understand each niche think of the Tiger as a light more nimble 1200GS. The BMW F800GS is not a smaller 1200GS you know this to be true. Its something else its got more enduro DNA than the other GS's.

Now lets see if the lost sticker guy spazes out again :(
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #101
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Are you retarded? Or just 13 years old?

Why don't you go ride your nice new bike instead of trying to tell us what bike is better.
You're obviously a fool who's real proud of your new shiny bike, and for some reason feel the need to proclaim to us GS owners, in our forum, why you think your bike is better. Who gives a fuck what you think, or really, what bike is "better"?
The best bike is the one you're on.

Congrats on being better informed than us and buying the XC, great bike, awesome! you're the best!

It's rather pathetic you feel the need to come troll in our forum, and in my Vendors thread.

It's a nice saturday afternoon, go explore some of those back roads on that superior XC, Mr ADV.

Added to IGNORE list, see ya!

And with that said, I'm going to go do some easy maintenance on my GS to prepare it for a 6 week adventure I'm leaving on real soon.
An Angry man for someone that sure his bike is "better". Enjoy a nice ride on your GS.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 08:55 PM
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #102
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
An Angry man for someone that sure his bike is "better". Your stinker suck by the way. Lost?? Seriously would never put some crap like that on my pretty white Tiger. Get a GPS idiot..
Hey Mate ... a bit of respect fo ChiTown ... He's been out there doing it for real ... real rides, real rebuilds, real adventure and really big Crashes! Not to mention the real photography !

I note he has over 2,000 posts to less than a hundred for you, so I suggest you get over yourself and realise that most of us ride the bikes we do for a reason.

Personally I like the XC, but I don't really lke the engine until you get it wound up (hate the whine it makes at low revs, sounds good higher up, doesn't produce much torque down low) I don't like the 800GS gear ratios, but the Tiger is much worse ... 1st is way too high, top is too low.

I could go on ... the GS is lighter, uses less fuel, the maintence costs are apparently lower, and so on. Yes the standard seat is terrible and the suspension could be better.

So how about you go and ride the XC on some real adventures and then get back to us and then we will be really interested !
Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #103
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksbane View Post
hey mate ... A bit of respect fo chitown ... He's been out there doing it for real ... Real rides, real rebuilds, real adventure and really big crashes! not to mention the real photography !

i note he has over 2,000 posts to less than a hundred for you, so i suggest you get over yourself and realise that most of us ride the bikes we do for a reason.

Personally i like the xc, but i don't really lke the engine until you get it wound up (hate the whine it makes at low revs, sounds good higher up, doesn't produce much torque down low) i don't like the 800gs gear ratios, but the tiger is much worse ... 1st is way too high, top is too low.

I could go on ... The gs is lighter, uses less fuel, the maintence costs are apparently lower, and so on. Yes the standard seat is terrible and the suspension could be better.

So how about you go and ride the xc on some real adventures and then get back to us and then we will be really interested !

+1

I have put 10,000 miles on my 800gs since april, couldnt be happier. My wife and i did 580 miles on thursday, her on her 650 twin, me on the 800, had a blast!!

Ryan
Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #104
Taxidodger
Taxidodger

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce View Post
I like the looks of the F800gs, but the tiger is:

Cheaper (by atleast 2000)
Better saddle
Excel rims
more reliable possibly?
The finish seems better, and welds smoother, but I don't know if it's actually built better.

I'm a BMW fanboy, but I don't want a bike that is going to break on me especially if it costs more.

I have read some comparisons, but they are mostly speculation.
I looked at both carefully and the Triumph is nice - very little to to choose from on paper - ultimately chose the GS800 because its three years old now and many gremlins have been addressed, better dealer network, more accessories. Have ridden the bike for 5 months and am happy with the decision. Having said that, you really can't go wrong with either.
good luck.
Taxidodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #105
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,584
Seems to me that the 800XC should be more appropriately compared to the F650GS. More road-oriented.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote