Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #13591
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,301
Looks good 13 . I had thought about going with the low pipes for a while. I ended up with the D&D slip-ons I bought from another inmate.

The D&D's are loud but they can be quieted down a little. I repacked mine and it helps a lot. The factory packing is tightly wound around the baffle and doesnt do much to quiet it down, I couldnt tell alot off difference between them and open headers. I used a loose packing around the baffles and it gives it a much deeper tone.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #13592
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post

On another note: Does everyones Scrambler lean this far when on the side stand?

Yes my bike leans that far also, maybe more.
I have longer than stock shocks, which I attribute to the extra lean.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #13593
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:

The side stand is the same same length as a bonnie but the bike sits higher, hence the leaning. When I was in Triumph tech school a couple of us played around with swapping kickstands. While the scram kick stand looks the best the low exhaust on the bonnie and thruxton make it slightly harder to put down. And a thruxton kickstand collects more debris and i was worried about beaking the little "arm" off.

Just figured that I would share.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now

flick screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 03:45 PM
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #13594
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Last weekend I followed the ridges heading east to the coast.... Middle of winter.....
Still digging my '06 Scram 55,000 ...push button and go.
You must have been reading my mind. Although riding in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER actually (35C/75F) I just today thought: oh Gee, I do love this bike. Still ...

Some more pics here.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #13595
david l
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Fuel consumption

I've had my Scrambler for a couple of months now and the one thing that disapoints me is the fuel consumption.
Its standard apart from an Arrow exhaust. I assume its had the Arrow remap. I only manage around 100 miles before the fuel light comes on.
Would my economy improve if I reverted to the standard ECU map?

David
Attached Images

david l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #13596
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by david l View Post
I've had my Scrambler for a couple of months now and the one thing that disapoints me is the fuel consumption.
Its standard apart from an Arrow exhaust. I assume its had the Arrow remap. I only manage around 100 miles before the fuel light comes on.
Would my economy improve if I reverted to the standard ECU map?

David
How many miles are on the bike? What I've read is that these bikes do not break-in for almost 2K miles. Again, from what I've read, some folks seem to see MPG improvements after that. You kept the stock tune with the Arrow? I thought it was "normal" to retuned the ECU (or rejetted for carbs) when the Arrow was installed.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #13597
david l
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
How many miles are on the bike? What I've read is that these bikes do not break-in for almost 2K miles. Again, from what I've read, some folks seem to see MPG improvements after that. You kept the stock tune with the Arrow? I thought it was "normal" to retuned the ECU (or rejetted for carbs) when the Arrow was installed.
The bike has now done nearly 3,000 miles. I'm assuming the bike was remapped for the Arrow exhaust when it was fitted (by the dealer). I'm wondering if the economy would improve if it was mapped for the standard set-up?

David
Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #13598
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
It really depends on where you are, what kind of riding you do, and how much time you spend on the throttle. My Scram doesn't have a fuel light; but I have ridden all the way to empty (3 miles from the dang gas station!). Ridden gently I've seen 45-47 mpg; but it's more typically in the low 40's and will drop into the 30's with a heavy use of throttle, high RPM, or a headwind.

That translates to somewhere around 125 miles to reserve. I don't know what that translates to on an FI bike with a fuel light.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #13599
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoothillRyder View Post
It really depends on where you are, what kind of riding you do, and how much time you spend on the throttle. My Scram doesn't have a fuel light; but I have ridden all the way to empty (3 miles from the dang gas station!). Ridden gently I've seen 45-47 mpg; but it's more typically in the low 40's and will drop into the 30's with a heavy use of throttle, high RPM, or a headwind.

That translates to somewhere around 125 miles to reserve. I don't know what that translates to on an FI bike with a fuel light.
Mine is about the same but I've not done a full fill-up with the Arrow yet.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #13600
david l
n00b

Quote:

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of riding I do, in town or out of town, the light comes on at 100 miles and I've run out of fuel at 130 miles.
I don't think I'm especially hard on the throttle, but perhaps I should experiment with the next tank of fuel and ride it like I stole it to see how low the fuel range gets!

David
Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #13601
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,164
Quote:
I hit the low fuel light at 123-126 miles consistently.
Usually in the 46-48 mpg area.
Riding fast or slow.
I didn't buy it for fuel mileage!
I bought it for fun. Just ride it.

Oh, I wouldn't assume the Arrow map, I would verify the Arrow map.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #13602
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I just had my arrow remapped. With the stock map the exhaust was really loud (no baffle) and when I throttled off it made really loud popping sounds. With the remap it is not as loud and it no long pops. It sounds a lot better.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #13603
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
fuel lights

Mine came on anywhere from 89 miles to 118. I think the most I went on a tank was just below 140 miles and while I thought I must have been on fumes at that point, I think it still had almost 2 liters in it.

My recollection is that if I burned most or all of a tank in the city I was getting a low fuel light in 90's. I was always happy when I would get it in the low 100's, but that was usually mixed use riding.

I've ridden between 20 and 30 miles on it, but upon refueling, I was never able to get more than 14 liters in there, so who knows how far it could have gone.

Everyone seems to be different.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #13604
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Quote:

I read in here (I think) that there is a component in the kickstands that actually wears-out or bends over time. Somewhere, I saw a fix for this condition. No clue where though. How's that for helpful?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #13605
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I've gotten to 100 miles once in the six tanks I've put through the bike. It has TOR's, canisterictomy, re-jetted by the PO. Has 6,000 miles on it.
It usually starts coughing at 95 miles. Worst mileage was 31.5 mpg with normal riding (12 mile commute w/ 10 miles of it freeway), best mileage was 34.5 mpg while cruising through the Santa Cruz mountains.

My landlord's Camry hybrid gets better mileage
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote