Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #31
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I'm not saying you aren't right about that, Griz. I don't know. But the list of things that you've been "positive" about here that turned out to be not so is long and legendary.

Feel free to demolish my disbelief with data.

David
I don't think "long and legendary" is quite accurate there, WoodWorks. There have been a few things on this forum that I thought I was right about, and was then proven otherwise, yeah. But that's the case for everyone here including, godforbid, you. And quite frankly, my neck is sore from looking up at you on your high horse preaching down at people.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #32
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
It was just an idea. Easy on the "noob" parts please. I am quite sure I can handle even a 1000cc without much difficulty on a track. Perhaps not fastest though. Thankyouverymuch.
First, that's not a great assumption on your part.

Second, it wasn't actually a insult, if it matters. Everybody is a noob at some point. My first crash was at my first trackday, in the slow group, on a 600...and was 100% the result of too much speed and too little skill. I eventually progressed up to A group pace, and even then I didn't want any more power than my [2001] CBR 600 had. 130 mph might not seem like much out on an open road, but on a track it is STUPID fast, thankyouverymuch.

Third, note that I'm a California trackday snob. I'm of the impression that if you can't lap in the A group, you shouldn't have a 1000cc bike on the track, period. Anything with more than 70-80hp or so is not a good idea for a track noob, IMHO.

Bottom line though, it comes back to finances. If you can't afford to buy an inexpensive trackbike, you simply can't afford to spend the better part of what a trackbike costs to modify your expensive road bike for the track.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #33
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I am positive the F800GS computer is programmed for a 17" rear wheel and a 21" front wheel. When you switch the front 21" for a much smaller 17" wheel, the smaller diameter of the wheel will in turn make it rotate considerably faster. This considerably faster spinning front wheel will confuse the ABS system. The computer in the F800GS is static, not dynamic. It doesn't "compensate", and it could be life threatening if you leave ABS on. I don't recommend it.

As an example: My buddy that has a 2007 Chevy Silverado just put larger tires on the rear and a bit smaller ones on the front to give it that "old school" look. Completely wigged out the ABS sensors, and his dashboard ABS alarm goes off constantly now. He called his Chevy dealer and they said it would be $200 to reprogram the computer to handle the tire size difference. If the far more advanced automobile computer control systems in a new Chevy can't handle a tire size change...the simple solid state computer module on the F800GS motorcycle definitely won't.

That aside, I do know that the F800GS won't dynamically handle a wheel size change.
You may well be correct, but you are still speculating. Besides, like I asked earlier, you wouldn't run a track day with the abs on, would you?

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
I find this thread developing in an intriguing way. Some of the same riders that in other threads claim the F800GS as the best motorcycle known to man jumped all over this guy for suggesting he was going to take his bike to a track day or don't seem to think it will can be taken to a track day and have an enjoyable day out. Weird.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #35
afmracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I'm simply saying there are better candidates for a 17" wheel conversion. But if you have 2 grand burning a hole in your pocket, do it! and post some pics and a vid!!
afmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #36
Throbbing Missile
Stuck in a rut

Oddometer: 30
Fuck me there's some big girls in here!

If you could get a second hand front wheel then the UK wheel building places would charge about 300Euro ($400ish) tops to lace a new 17" rim with new stainless spokes to the existing hub. You could always save cash by lacing it yourself, it's not that hard. You don't NEED and Excel rim, a cheaper Morad would be fine. Keep the standard front and you can always change back.

It'll either work or it won't. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

None of my projects and modified bikes would have got anywhere if I worried myself like some of you guys!
Throbbing Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #37
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I've got a couple of friends who do loads and loads of track days every summer and now they have started pestering me about coming along on a few next year. As a 21" front wheel don't really give much option for tires I am thinking about converting to 17" front wheel, and also I don't have the cash for a pure trackbike however much I'd like to get one. It looks pretty awesome if you ask me.

Anyone done this? If so what are your thoughts?
Rent. I rented a well set up Ducati 900ss for $250.

Otherwise, some track day events are pretty mellow and you can just go out and do your best, have fun and don't worry about it.

It's fun regardless of what you are riding. Actually the V-Strom acquits itself surprisingly well.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #38
Wanderer1
Tuesday

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Rent. I rented a well set up Ducati 900ss for $250.

Otherwise, some track day events are pretty mellow and you can just go out and do your best, have fun and don't worry about it.

It's fun regardless of what you are riding. Actually the V-Strom acquits itself surprisingly well.

Loudon, turn 2?

Took the GS up there this year. All kinds of fun :)
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #39
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,103
Okay, I love DIY mods, so this gets my attention.

The F800GS is listed as 26 degrees on rake, replacing the 21" with 17" will change the rake to like, maybe 24 degrees are there abouts. Pretty good for a track bike wanne be. The Buell is like 21, Tiger 1050 23.

I hate spending money on a one time deal, so I would most likely just take it to the track stock, keeping in mind we are not going to set any speed records.

Actually the soft suspension if stable makes for more forgiveness on the track up to a point. The front dive helps to plant the front to give maximum braking and stays compressed when turning in.

P.S. Oh, and when I went to the track (actually ridesmart) one of our gals on an F800ST ran like the wind, I had to get close in a turn then outlast her down the next straight till brakes to get by, and my Tiger is FAST! :-)

P.S.S. As for the ABS, not sure what will happen with the wheel change, but I can tell you what will happen on the F650GS (twin) and new 150/60/17 rear tire replacing the stock 140/80/17, ABS will shut off. This tire size is 1.8" smaller Dia.

llamapacker screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 10:09 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #40
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
You might say that I am a slow starter but I have finally done it.

17" Excel rim with a stock hub. I'll post a pic of the wheel mounted as soon as possible. (Hopefully not two years this time, eh?)
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #41
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,251

Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #42
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
super cool movie, including the crash...
but that seems to be a 19" front wheel (front and back seem equally big)

For me, 19" would be perfect.
The F800GS is to big anyways, so a smaller front wheel and adjusted back suspension could do the trick.
(but I won't take it a lot offroad and when I do, I will be a sissy anyways)
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #43
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'm running a 19" front with the forks dropped 12mm down in the triple clamps. Bike is LOVELY like this for touring, commuting & ripping up the canyons.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #44
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
I broke my bike in at Gelleråsen a track in Sweden. 2 days and anakee did great I had tons of fun.
My problem was not the front grip it was the back that was sliding as I rode faster and faster.
Had to tighten the suspension to the max to be able to ride hard and even then it was skidding some in ejes-corner.
Attached Images

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #45
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I'm running a 19" front with the forks dropped 12mm down in the triple clamps. Bike is LOVELY like this for touring, commuting & ripping up the canyons.
Forgot to mention - my bike is ABS equipped. I have ABS rings on each wheel in 2 sets - 19/17 for road and a 21/18 for off. ABS works with both wheel sets without any issues. I regular switch between both wheel sets - no ABS issues.

Looks to me like Schnitzer is running a 17" front with ABS. Someone interested in this setup could shoot them an email and ask directly.