Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #4171
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771
We do what we are able, as we are able. That is what makes us human.

When I first loaded the page and saw the ambulance stuff, I have to admit I felt more than a little panic. So glad you both are okay. I'm also more than a little conflicted at feeling relief that it was "somebody else," although I do recognize that's a coping mechanism as well.

If I ever have a bad biff, I should be so lucky as to have the two of you as first-responders.

Be well and enjoy the journey!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #4172
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,519
Day 8 stats

And yet another 300+ mile day.

We pulled into Ft. St. John, and tried to find a reasonable, decent motel, and after driving around we settled in to probably the skeeviest in town. Not that it was dirty, just kind of run down, with displaced persons which we initially thought were from the forest fires and evacuation of Slave Lake, but with closer observation, it just seemed that they were living out of their car at the hotel.

We grabbed some grub at the restaurant across the street, with an easy view to our bikes, and debriefed the day. We were headed into Victoria Day weekend, with northern Alberta in a bit of chaos from the Slave Lake wildfire.

I'd routed three different variations from Ft. St. John to Edmonton -- the first headed due east on gas field roads, past Slave Lake, and then dropped straight south. That was out. The second followed the AlCan, more or less, and the third headed further south, back into the foothills of the rockies, and then turned east to Edmonton. That's the one we would take. Only thing we needed was the appropriate BackRoads Mapbook for Southern Alberta. There weren't any available before we left, so I figured I'd be able to score one in the area. Easier said than done given the holiday weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-20 M7.GPX (78.3 KB, 44 views)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 02:54 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #4173
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
to Sallydog: (he asked me to scout out some things for his upcoming trip)

I think we were too long on pavement at this point.

thanks for all your info also, where was that signpost place exactally? i wanna add it to my map.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #4174
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
thanks for all your info also, where was that signpost place exactally? i wanna add it to my map.
No problem. It's at the Watson Lake visitor's center.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #4175
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
No problem. It's at the Watson Lake visitor's center.
It's pretty hard to miss that place
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4176
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Saturday May 21th 2011 M7 day 9

From Fort St. John to Pipestone Creek campground (near Grand Prairie)

Click on image below for a larger version:
Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #4177
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It had rained

overnight, but we got a nice early start.

Today would be the day we finally broke free of the single-option Alaska Highway route, and found ourselves some dirt. We'd been pushing our mileage on pavement just to get to this point where we could relax a little, enjoy and explore.

Commentary on the symbolism of fleet vehicle color choices:

Not much more of this:

Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #4178
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As our parting shot

to the Alaska Highway, we took this little detour to see this:

Click on image below for a bigger version:

Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #4179
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Then...

FINALLY! Dirt roads!!!

Didn't matter that they were straight. And Flat... they weren't paved!!!

The roads had suffered from the rain the night before, and our tires had suffered from thousands of paved miles... no worries

A couple of dead ends, a tip-over or two... this is more like it!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #4180
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We quickly

started to realize that a lot of these roads were merely to access pipelines,

we started to get the hang of navigating the muddy grid.

It didn't so much matter when we'd have to turn around and backtrack... it was fun riding, and we weren't on pavement, and the weather was nice, and we didn't have to pile on the miles.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #4181
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We rolled into

Dawson Creek in good spirits

a quick stop for a snack and gas,

failed to find the Backroads mapbook we needed, and rolled out of town.

Into the bush:

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #4182
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The terrain really

flattened out, but I was having a blast.

We passed a supply yard for the pipeline... tons and tons of pipe stacked up:

really impressive. And into Grand Prairie for groceries and gas. We got some intel from a guy in the parking lot on which campground to go to... remember, it's Victoria Day weekend.

Of course, we get drenched on the way,

but we see a moose,

which is cool, and make it to the campground with blue skies above:

and the nastiness behind us.

Since we've left the pavement, all of a sudden, it feels like we're adventuring again.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #4183
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We grabbed one of the last

open campsites.

hung out our riding gear to dry,

ate some dinner,

washed dishes,

and still had time to go for a walk down to the river and enjoy the sunset.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #4184
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Only...

207 miles on the day. That's more like it!

So much better. The campground was a little crowded, and noisy with kids and families,

but all said and done, it was fine.

We weren't allowed to have a campfire, on account of the campfire ban in effect throughout Alberta since they were all freaked out about the Slave Lake fire. No mind that it had poured rain and we probably wouldn't have been able to build a campfire if we'd tried.

We met a new rider, Aaron, who had just gotten his moto license the day before. He came up as we were hanging out back at our campsite, and he had all kinds of questions about our trips, and we asked him about growing up in the area, and working on the pipelines, and other stuff he knew about, like fur trapping and stuff. Good times.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-21 M7.GPX (73.6 KB, 51 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 02:55 PM
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #4185
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunday May 22th 2011 M7 day 10

Pipestone Creek campground (near Grande Prairie, AB), to Pierre Greys Lakes campground (near Hinton, AB)

Click on image for a larger version:

We stopped in Grande Prairie to pick up supplies:

bought the south alberta mapbook (only later found out that what we really needed was the CENTRAL alberta mapbook , and bore witness to one of the biggest examples of mis-labeling ever:

Tuscany? Really?