ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
def
Ginger th wonder dog
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
Your oil can't get that thin.
I disagree...it happens frequently in a variety of engines under hot conditions.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #32
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Xdriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 139
Here in Texas summer heat, I routinely have 4 bars. The base bar and 3 above that. In Temps above 90 in traffic it will add a fifth bar if stop and go. I saw 6 once at about 98 indicated temp. I just plan around rush hour traffic now. Same results with the BMW shop oil and Walmart oil. Switching to Mobile 1 next week for my 12K check.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki C14
Xdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #33
GSQuester
not-quite-a-n00b
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Canadian Left Coast
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
I'm not so sure if that is normal for the new 1200. Many have reported the 11xx's over heating but I have yet to read one report of a 1200 over heating. Myself personally I have ridden my bike through Kansas City in 110 degree heat. The traffic was stop and go for over 50 miles and it took 3 hours to cover that distance. My RID never even moved from the normal heat measurement.
I honestly don't know what to think about this. I find it inconceivable that running at such slow speed for so long in such hot weather wouldn't change the engine temperature, but this isn't the first time I've read this kind of anecdote. Personally I'd wonder if maybe the temp gauge/sensor/computer had a problem if it didn't climb at all under those conditions. Seems downright impossible, and begs the question - if that's how the cooling system was designed - to be so efficient regulating the engine temperature no matter what, then why even have a temp gauge? Seems like it would have been good enough to have no temperature indicator other than an idiot light set to come on when you're riding somewhere *really* hot (like the surface of the sun?).

I've got a 2010 R1200GSA and just got back from a week ride through BC, Alberta, Montana, Idaho and Washington - average daytime temperatures were over 30C with a high of 37C one day (that's 98F for those of you below the border :)), and here's what I've seen - as long as I run at highway speeds my bike temp gauge stays at 4 bars. If I slow down somewhat when it's that hot outside, it easily goes to 5 bars. If I'm in stop and go traffic or even have to sit through more than two lights in the city, even if the weather is cool (like 18C/65F), the gauge rapidly climbs to 6 bars.

When I first got the bike I was concerned about how quickly it would heat up in slow traffic, but I've never seen more than 6 bars (or oil temp warning light), or had any performance issues, so I stopped worrying about it. But from everything I've read in this and previous temp related threads it does seem there's a fair bit of variability with the temperature readings from one bike to the next. That's the only way I can make sense of these different experiences and am convinced this is the one time "they all do that" doesn't apply.
__________________
_____________________________________________
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 2003!
GSQuester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #34
tank slappa
Let's just ride!
 
tank slappa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: South Burnett
Oddometer: 90
In order to beat the heat of the day(Queensland - Australian summer) we headed off 1 hour before sunrise and after riding for a hour in hot humid sub tropical conditions in the dark, in sand, in first (2008 gs) my bike was near the top of its temp range.

I stopped for 15 minutes then started up again, this time in 2nd and moving a lot faster (as it was now light enough to see better) the bike returned to normal and did not have another problem with its temperature.
tank slappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Remember all, that the temp gauges on the R1200 series are not all the same. From 04-06 they have fewer bars, and IIRC there was another change later. This means 5 bars on one bike does not equate to 5 bars on another of different years.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 06:37 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #36
lunchmeat
MLI
 
lunchmeat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Gold Bar WA
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond View Post
It is normal. Just learn the fine art of filtering, then explain to the police that due to the fact you have a air cooled bike, you must do this. If you can't filter then pull over and let it cool down and join traffic again. It doesn't take all that long for it to cool down. If your low oil pressure light is coming on you might want to consider a thicker viscosity oil to help maintain oil pressure.
I've done that in Maryland before and earned myself a ticket for my troubles. Maryland cops are not too keen on the idea of filtering or white lining. I'd suggest pulling over and finding some shade.
__________________
Cognito ergo armatum sum.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
Manatee2000
Adventurer
 
Manatee2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Denver CO
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSQuester View Post
I honestly don't know what to think about this. I find it inconceivable that running at such slow speed for so long in such hot weather wouldn't change the engine temperature, but this isn't the first time I've read this kind of anecdote. Personally I'd wonder if maybe the temp gauge/sensor/computer had a problem if it didn't climb at all under those conditions. Seems downright impossible, and begs the question - if that's how the cooling system was designed - to be so efficient regulating the engine temperature no matter what, then why even have a temp gauge? Seems like it would have been good enough to have no temperature indicator other than an idiot light set to come on when you're riding somewhere *really* hot (like the surface of the sun?).

I've got a 2010 R1200GSA and just got back from a week ride through BC, Alberta, Montana, Idaho and Washington - average daytime temperatures were over 30C with a high of 37C one day (that's 98F for those of you below the border :)), and here's what I've seen - as long as I run at highway speeds my bike temp gauge stays at 4 bars. If I slow down somewhat when it's that hot outside, it easily goes to 5 bars. If I'm in stop and go traffic or even have to sit through more than two lights in the city, even if the weather is cool (like 18C/65F), the gauge rapidly climbs to 6 bars.

When I first got the bike I was concerned about how quickly it would heat up in slow traffic, but I've never seen more than 6 bars (or oil temp warning light), or had any performance issues, so I stopped worrying about it. But from everything I've read in this and previous temp related threads it does seem there's a fair bit of variability with the temperature readings from one bike to the next. That's the only way I can make sense of these different experiences and am convinced this is the one time "they all do that" doesn't apply.
For me any way the reasont he OIL thing bother me so bad is because I have had German, American and Jap cars and they have figured out how to keep the tempature guage constant in all conditions going from about 0 to 110 degrees. I don't understand why I paid $19,000 and they can't supply a product with the same reliabilty. I hate guessing if what I am seeing is going to screw up my bike.
__________________
Matt Anderson
08 GSA 1200
502 314 6969
manatee2000@gmail.com
Manatee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee2000 View Post
For me any way the reasont he OIL thing bother me so bad is because I have had German, American and Jap cars and they have figured out how to keep the tempature guage constant in all conditions going from about 0 to 110 degrees. I don't understand why I paid $19,000 and they can't supply a product with the same reliabilty. I hate guessing if what I am seeing is going to screw up my bike.
Your German, American and Japanese cars are all water cooled. Your motorcycle, irrespective of cost (because cost is irrelevant), is air/oil cooled.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #39
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Your German, American and Japanese cars are all water cooled. Your motorcycle, irrespective of cost (because cost is irrelevant), is air/oil cooled.

Jim
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #40
Manatee2000
Adventurer
 
Manatee2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Denver CO
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I respect your answere but don't buy it. With all of the technology they have built into the bike this should not be an issue. The technology BMW motercycles is using is cheep because it has been proven in other industries for years. To some extent they are cutting edge for motercycles but other indistires they are way behind the technology curve which admidtly is not the worst thing. Auto industire have used the oil cooled engines and lots of race applications have used the same technology.

It all comes down the the thermostat and how well it was designed.
__________________
Matt Anderson
08 GSA 1200
502 314 6969
manatee2000@gmail.com
Manatee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee2000 View Post
I respect your answere but don't buy it. With all of the technology they have built into the bike this should not be an issue. The technology BMW motercycles is using is cheep because it has been proven in other industries for years. To some extent they are cutting edge for motercycles but other indistires they are way behind the technology curve which admidtly is not the worst thing. Auto industire have used the oil cooled engines and lots of race applications have used the same technology.

It all comes down the the thermostat and how well it was designed.
Please show us how an aircooled bike can possibly be "regulated" to not get hotter when sitting in traffic! Oh, and name another bike that doesn't.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #42
Manatee2000
Adventurer
 
Manatee2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Denver CO
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Please show us how an aircooled bike can possibly be "regulated" to not get hotter when sitting in traffic! Oh, and name another bike that doesn't.

Jim
As it says in the specifications air/Oil cooled 2008 GSA. I'll be damed if the air has any thing to do with it base on the hunk of metal I am setting on. This is the same type of discussion that went on with Porsche in the 80's. Just because some people are satisfied with the level of performance doesn't make it right. At least when I bought my bike I bought it for quality which I think I got and this issue is small but I think it can have a huge impact if left unattained. When I am in Death Valley riding along at 55 to 105 MPH watching the temperature gauge creep up past the top hash I don't want to be wondering for couple of hours if my bike is going to over heat. If it does over heat, talking to the BMW mechanic in California you would never know because thier is no indicator telling you it has hit the over heating point. It is still hard for me to believe that one. If this really is the case then why bother with a gauge at all? If someone can answer that it would be helpful.

Either way if I wanted to pull over in 100 degree weather while my bike cooled I would have bought an older technloogy and understood those were the risks. Otherwise manatee doesn't want to be left baking in the sun with my bike smoldering because some engineer wouldn't $$$ or couldn't make an accurate temperature gauge.
__________________
Matt Anderson
08 GSA 1200
502 314 6969
manatee2000@gmail.com
Manatee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #43
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee2000 View Post
I respect your answere but don't buy it. With all of the technology they have built into the bike this should not be an issue. The technology BMW motercycles is using is cheep because it has been proven in other industries for years. To some extent they are cutting edge for motercycles but other indistires they are way behind the technology curve which admidtly is not the worst thing. Auto industire have used the oil cooled engines and lots of race applications have used the same technology.

It all comes down the the thermostat and how well it was designed.

I wasn't being disrespectful of your position. Just smiling at the strength of Jim's response.

I think you're both right. Jim is saying that the bike is air cooled; what can one expect if no air is flowing over the engine to cool it off while in stop and go traffic.

You're saying that with today's engineering capabilities, adequate temperature control can be designed and installed to prevent overheating.


I think you're both right.

But I also think that the hexheads are already pretty good at engine temperature management. If I were to ask BMW for improvements, this wouldn't make my list.

__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #44
Manatee2000
Adventurer
 
Manatee2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Denver CO
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I wasn't being disrespectful of your position. Just smiling at the strength of Jim's response.

I think you're both right. Jim is saying that the bike is air cooled; what can one expect if no air is flowing over the engine to cool it off while in stop and go traffic.

You're saying that with today's engineering capabilities, adequate temperature control can be designed and installed to prevent overheating.


I think you're both right.

But I also think that the hexheads are already pretty good at engine temperature management. If I were to ask BMW for improvements, this wouldn't make my list.

__________________
Matt Anderson
08 GSA 1200
502 314 6969
manatee2000@gmail.com
Manatee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #45
Skinny Moose
Adventurer
 
Skinny Moose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 98
I`ve had quite a few air/oil cooled bikes and four wheelers in my life. Air/oil cooled motors can get hot under the right circumstances. Thats life, I just factor it in and deal with it...no worries.
Skinny Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014