ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #166
mrmrva
wannabe adventurer
 
mrmrva's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Oddometer: 48
This is the best I could do, hope it's OK
Attached Images
 
mrmrva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #167
VeeNeck
Banned
 
VeeNeck's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 371
Thumb 2012 BMW F 800 GS Triple Black

Request granted, thanks BMW Motorrad USA for listing!

I requested the R1200GS to be made in Triple Black and they to my surprise they actually listened, and by the way the fit and finish is the best to date. I also requested the BMW F 800 GS to be offered in the same dark color scheme, and once again they delivered. Now all BMW Motorrad needs to do is design and build an in-between sized and weighted adventure motorcycle between the R1200GS & F 800 GS, that’s the one that would fit and suit me the best. And while your at it, how about lowering the GS's seat height a quarter inch or so please.


VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 03:49 AM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #168
VeeNeck
Banned
 
VeeNeck's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 371
Eek "In-between" Adventure Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
VeeNeck, you really are in a pickle!

We all have our own unique "problems". Most (or at least many) people would be thrilled to have your GS in their carage. That looks like a really nice ride. Good job on the farkles!

I totally agree with you about 800 being iffy on the highway compared to it's big brother. To me it was an easy decision to choose between these two since my main goal is to avoid highways as much as possible. I have no beef with the brakes though. And hey, don't blame the bike if it hasn't gotten proper shoes on. TKC's are my choise (no highway action, remember) and I like them a lot. But there's about gazillion threads about tires, so let's not go there!

Good luck with your quest to discover something "in between"! Not an easy task.

Cheers!

-Miikka
The "In-between" Adventure Motorcycle

This is for others in the same boat. I am a huge BMW auto fan and love the GS models bikes and their engineering but “if it doesn’t fit you must acquit” regardless of brand loyalty. An expensive lesson learned, I personally found for my average size and weight that the R1200 GS is to big and heavy especially OFF-the bike, the ergonomics are spot on but for me having it scaled down 10% or so would have been great. The F800 GS fit great, seat height was a tad tall but it was way narrower so more confident at stops. But I found the F800 GS not substantial enough on the road, especially the brakes at higher speeds. So after an expensive dream purchase this spring of a Triple Black GS, unfortunately I was on the hunt for the missing link this summer, the "in-between" sized adventure motorcycle. I found the Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the new Triumph Tiger 800 to be substantial enough but not to heavy and bulky of a ride for guys less than 6 foot and 200+ pounds and that still wants a badass adventure motorcycle, O’ by the way did I mention they both come in black as a standard color option.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200S is on par with the big GS, it is just a little more compact and less weight - more of a custom fit for me. The Triumph Tiger 800 is very similar to the BMW F800 GS but more road worthy especially at higher speeds and it is substantial enough for a longer term purchase I feel, it did not feel as disposable as the F800 GS, but the lighter F800 is the better dirt bike. The Tiger 800 handlebars could have been extended 1/4” to 1/2” or so, I found the handlebar to be tad short for the proportion of the bike.

No one ever really talks about the proper fit of a motorcycle, and I don’t just mean lower seats and lower suspension, I mean overall proper fitment. Some times the motorcycle that suits your lifestyle, taste and desires may just not fit you right and may be too darn heavy to fully enjoy. The Enduro/Adventure Motorcycles listed hear from smaller to bigger/heaver, I find myself in-between sizes meaning the ones in the middle of the size scale listed here feels more correct to my body type so to maximize comfort, rideabality, and most important overall enjoyability. The last thing you want is a tall top-heavy motorcycle toppling over on you.

Enduro/Adventure Tourer
BMW F 800 GS > Triumph Tiger 800 > KTM 990 Adventure

Adventure Tourer
Suzuki V Strom > Ducati Multistrada 1200 > Moto Guzzi Stelvio > BMW R 1200 GS > BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

The bikes that fit me the best at my 5’ 9.25” and 165 Lbs. with a 32" inseam are the: BMW F 800 GS, Triumph Tiger 800, Ducati Multistrada 1200S, Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I found this all out after just purchasing the large BMW R1200 GS. Basically I need a MEDIUM sized Adventure Tourer, not small and underpowered and not large and heavy, but right “in-between”. I am not into sport bikes, but I found the Ducati Multistrada 1200S to be “the one” because it is just like the R1200 GS but slightly smaller. It is really 3.5 bikes in one, it’s split personality suite me just fine and is more my style Hi-Performance Adventure Tourer - Pike Peak style. I preferred the Multistrada to the Triumph Tiger because I plan on riding daily mostly on crappy paved roads, look beyond the styling of the Tiger and you will find a fun and fast motorcycle with very smooth power delivery.

Looks like I would have to design for BMW's Motorrad division to get it just so, hit me up guys if you like. As for the bimmers bikes; the F650 & F800 GS's are like the 1 Series, and the bigger brother R1200GS is like the 5 Series, the huge R1200GS Adventure is like the 7 Series, I am just looking for the equivalent of the phenomenal 3 Series size wise, preferably an M3 with all-wheel drive of the adventure motorcycles and well that exists but it is not a bimmer it is the Ducati Multistrada 1200S ! By the way the Ducati Multistrada 1200S is still a tall motorcycle, and the Multistrada low seat sucks, but it is still not as tall and as top-heavy feeling as the R1200 GS, and well that just works better for me. I hope this helps the other average sized guys out there.

I say get what is comfortable and what maximizes enjoyability.

Vee :)

VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 03:54 AM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #169
VeeNeck
Banned
 
VeeNeck's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 371
Thumb Cycle-Ergo.com

Check out the Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator cycle-ergo.com

It is really spot on with ergonomic comparisons, I wish I would have new about this sooner. Check it out!


VeeNeck screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 08:49 PM
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #170
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Check out the Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator cycle-ergo.com

It is really spot on with ergonomic comparisons, I wish I would have new about this sooner. Check it out!
Hey, pretty cool! I would look great on a KTM SX65!
__________________
~ BMWF800GS ~

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #171
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,145
Is that ATGATT on the strada?
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
F800GS - The ORANGE ones are faster!!

R1150GSA SE


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #172
GSFREEK
Adventurer
 
GSFREEK's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 40
I will be doing my white GS just like in the video???sweeeeet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTAu...&feature=feedf
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #173
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFREEK View Post
I will be doing my white GS just like in the video???sweeeeet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTAu...&feature=feedf
a bit too much for me this is like another 2000€ budjet youre gonna put on the bike =/
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
F800GS - The ORANGE ones are faster!!

R1150GSA SE


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #174
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser
 
señormoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: California + Costa Rica
Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
The "In-between" Adventure Motorcycle

This is for others in the same boat. I am a huge BMW auto fan and love the GS models bikes and their engineering but “if it doesn’t fit you must acquit” regardless of brand loyalty. An expensive lesson learned, I personally found for my average size and weight that the R1200 GS is to big and heavy especially OFF-the bike, the ergonomics are spot on but for me having it scaled down 10% or so would have been great. The F800 GS fit great, seat height was a tad tall but it was way narrower so more confident at stops. But I found the F800 GS not substantial enough on the road, especially the brakes at higher speeds. So after an expensive dream purchase this spring of a Triple Black GS, unfortunately I was on the hunt for the missing link this summer, the "in-between" sized adventure motorcycle. I found the Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the new Triumph Tiger 800 to be substantial enough but not to heavy and bulky of a ride for guys less than 6 foot and 200+ pounds and that still wants a badass adventure motorcycle, O’ by the way did I mention they both come in black as a standard color option.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200S is on par with the big GS, it is just a little more compact and less weight - more of a custom fit for me. The Triumph Tiger 800 is very similar to the BMW F800 GS but more road worthy especially at higher speeds and it is substantial enough for a longer term purchase I feel, it did not feel as disposable as the F800 GS, but the lighter F800 is the better dirt bike. The Tiger 800 handlebars could have been extended 1/4” to 1/2” or so, I found the handlebar to be tad short for the proportion of the bike.

No one ever really talks about the proper fit of a motorcycle, and I don’t just mean lower seats and lower suspension, I mean overall proper fitment. Some times the motorcycle that suits your lifestyle, taste and desires may just not fit you right and may be too darn heavy to fully enjoy. The Enduro/Adventure Motorcycles listed hear from smaller to bigger/heaver, I find myself in-between sizes meaning the ones in the middle of the size scale listed here feels more correct to my body type so to maximize comfort, rideabality, and most important overall enjoyability. The last thing you want is a tall top-heavy motorcycle toppling over on you.

Enduro/Adventure Tourer
BMW F 800 GS > Triumph Tiger 800 > KTM 990 Adventure

Adventure Tourer
Suzuki V Strom > Ducati Multistrada 1200 > Moto Guzzi Stelvio > BMW R 1200 GS > BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

The bikes that fit me the best at my 5’ 9.25” and 165 Lbs. with a 32" inseam are the: BMW F 800 GS, Triumph Tiger 800, Ducati Multistrada 1200S, Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I found this all out after just purchasing the large BMW R1200 GS. Basically I need a MEDIUM sized Adventure Tourer, not small and underpowered and not large and heavy, but right “in-between”. I am not into sport bikes, but I found the Ducati Multistrada 1200S to be “the one” because it is just like the R1200 GS but slightly smaller. It is really 3.5 bikes in one, it’s split personality suite me just fine and is more my style Hi-Performance Adventure Tourer - Pike Peak style. I preferred the Multistrada to the Triumph Tiger because I plan on riding daily mostly on crappy paved roads, look beyond the styling of the Tiger and you will find a fun and fast motorcycle with very smooth power delivery.

Looks like I would have to design for BMW's Motorrad division to get it just so, hit me up guys if you like. As for the bimmers bikes; the F650 & F800 GS's are like the 1 Series, and the bigger brother R1200GS is like the 5 Series, the huge R1200GS Adventure is like the 7 Series, I am just looking for the equivalent of the phenomenal 3 Series size wise, preferably an M3 with all-wheel drive of the adventure motorcycles and well that exists but it is not a bimmer it is the Ducati Multistrada 1200S ! By the way the Ducati Multistrada 1200S is still a tall motorcycle, and the Multistrada low seat sucks, but it is still not as tall and as top-heavy feeling as the R1200 GS, and well that just works better for me. I hope this helps the other average sized guys out there.

I say get what is comfortable and what maximizes enjoyability.

Vee :)
Sorry guy, the newb is remarkably strong in you.

You might want to consider that many ergonomics can be changed on a bike - you don't have to stick with stock stuff at all. Here are some items you can tailor to your needs:
  1. aftermarket bars: change the height, rise, sweep, bend, etc
  2. change the seat: width, height, slope, etc
  3. change the pegs: width, height, slope, grip, etc
  4. change the balance bias by swapping out internals: lithium battery to take 7lbs off the front weight of the F800GS, etc
  5. change the linkage (if the bike has one)
  6. change the suspension to alter height, responsiveness, forward/rearward bias, etc
  7. change.... change... change...

Or I guess you can just keep calling BMW and foolishly think they will tailor make a bike for you, who unfortunately are not the standard/average weight+height.

BTW, buying a 1200GS before you consider all the things you have mentioned sounds very foolish indeed. I know how it feels to take a loss on a bike you don't like, sorry that happened - it definitely sours the mood.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #175
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser
 
señormoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: California + Costa Rica
Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFREEK View Post
I will be doing my white GS just like in the video???sweeeeet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTAu...&feature=feedf
gosh, this video is like one big TouraTech advertisement. Guy put all that stuff on but didn't do anything to lighten the bike or get extra HP like a header swap, new exhaust pipe, no steering stabilizer. The list goes on. Also the bike is far too clean, where's the mud and scratches?
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #176
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com
 
RobertAmsterdam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 187
any news?
__________________
2010 F800GS + TWBASTARD TW200
www.twbastards.com
RobertAmsterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #177
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again
 
TheCowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: The frozen tundra - Minny Sota
Oddometer: 606
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #178
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,633
^^^ Damn good looking bike!
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #179
ScotchBonnet
Adventurer
 
ScotchBonnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Scotland, North East
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Never a fan of black rims but...this one looks tasty.
Does anyone know much about this bike? I like it and wondered what farkles had been done...

ScotchBonnet screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 07:09 AM
ScotchBonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #180
ScotchBonnet
Adventurer
 
ScotchBonnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Scotland, North East
Oddometer: 41
F800GS Motorally

I've found the answer to my own question....

http://twalcomusa.com/f800gs.html?p=6

Back to sleep now.
ScotchBonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014